London It's Just Not The Same

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
No service, limited menu, full of kids, dirty tables, rubbish ambience, everything really.

The ability to have a meal cooked to a decent degree of spiciness when most places idea of hot is a few chilli flakes though.

Chicken butterflied and cooked in hot sauce and then with the x x hot added on the plate. Lovely. :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not up North. You'd be given a seat, showed care and compassion and then invited for chips and gravy/mushy pea's/curry sauce and a cuppa T.

Hew ha to that brother. Enjoy going to the lovely hamlet of London, but enjoy it more when am coming home. If you want northern hospitality get yourself up to Bury market. Full of characters. And gravy to fill yer boots.

slightly off topic, daughter picked up car yesterday in Derby, woman goin through admin with us lived in Notts and moved down to Colchester with hubby. She said she moved back to the Midlands coz you could not get Curry sauce, peas or gravy with your pie and chips. " They eat um dry down south you know".

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think your post just sums up what things are coming to these days. No compassion, no care and no respect!
Give it a break fella. "sums up what things are coming to these days", give me strength. Any more tired cliches to roll out?

If you wanted a seat, you could have asked for one. Yeah, someone could have got up and offered their seat, but I don't know what you look like. Perhaps they felt despite your eye bandage you still looked relatively fit and healthy and were quite capable of standing. Perhaps they thought asking someone who just had an eye patch on might get insulted if they offered their seat, or perhaps they didn't notice you to even think he could do with a seat, or perhaps they did and they were, as you say, inconsiderate 'scrotes'. They do exist unfortunately and they are not unique to London.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Give it a break fella. "sums up what things are coming to these days", give me strength. Any more tired cliches to roll out?

If you wanted a seat, you could have asked for one. Yeah, someone could have got up and offered their seat, but I don't know what you look like. Perhaps they felt despite your eye bandage you still looked relatively fit and healthy and were quite capable of standing. Perh<script id="gpt-impl-0.5304080082853465" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_161.js"></script>aps they thought asking someone who just had an eye patch on might get insulted if they offered their seat, or perhaps they didn't notice you to even think he could do with a seat, or perhaps they did and they were, as you say, inconsiderate 'scrotes'. They do exist unfortunately and they are not unique to London.

I'm 64, I had a bandage covering most of the right side of my face I would think that anyone with a huge bandage like that "wouldn't look relatively fit and healthy", I felt like sheehite and I was in absolutely no state, following 2 hours of retinal eye surgery only an hour before to, potentially, have an argument with some people who were sitting in the seats that are specifically for offering to disabled people, as and when they are onboard. They, of course, may have been disabled too but I doubt they were.

When I was bought up, and still do now, as we were taught in school, and by our parents, to offer our seats to old people, disabled people, mothers with young children and anyone who clearly needed to sit down on a train, bus or any other situation - to offer our seat, not happily stay in the seat unless they ask if you'd give the seat up ! And that is absolutely why the "sums up what things are coming these days" comment is appropriate.

It might be a tired cliché to you but I suspect those with good manners on here will agree

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm 64, I had a bandage covering most of the right side of my face I would think that anyone with a huge bandage like that "wouldn't look relatively fit and healthy", I felt like sheehite and I was in absolutely no state, following 2 hours of retinal eye surgery only an hour before to, potentially, have an argument with some people who were sitting in the seats that are specifically for offering to disabled people, as and when they are onboard. They, of course, may have been disabled too but I doubt they were.

When I was bought up, and still do now, as we were taught in school, and by our parents, to offer our seats to old people, disabled people, mothers with young children and anyone who clearly needed to sit down on a train, bus or any other situation - to offer our seat, not happily stay in the seat unless they ask if you'd give the seat up ! And that is absolutely why the "sums up what things are coming these days" comment is appropriate.

It might be a tired cliché to you but I suspect those with good manners on here will agree

Well as you have explained in a little more detail, I would have certainly offered up my seat had I been sitting there and I travel every day on the underground and in my experience there is usually always someone who gives up their seat, young, old or otherwise if they see someone they feel needs it more than them.

I can confirm that when I was bought up I was also taught to be respectful and offer my seat in all the circumstances you have described (I'm 38) and I will be teaching the same to my son (he's 4). As the OP alluded to his experience was things had changed for the better, so that is exactly why it is a tired cliche and actually not relevant and has nothing to do with 'good manners on here'.

Unfortunately the world is full of knobs, and always has been. Just unluckily for you, you happened to get on a carriage full of them and that one experience has tarnished your opinion.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I should have posted this on my return but hey ho it's here now. Whilst down in London to watch the useless (this season) Dolphins, I noticed a marked difference in the attitudes of the people down there. I usually stay in the Hammersmith area. Everyone is rushing about with not a moment to live and think they are the most important person in the world, usually. But not this time. It's been two years since my last visit, but OMG what a difference. I was with my son, who has to use a wheelchair to get about, but can "transfer". I have never had so many offers of help. People actually gave up their seats on the tube!!!!! They moved out of the way as we trundled towards them so that we didn't have to swerve about to avoid them. But the most amazing thing was, as we got up to leave Nandos after a cracking meal, a guy that was, I think waiting for his take-a-way or something, not sure, by the counter. My son got in his wheelchair and we made for the door. This lad got up and went out the door in front of us. Amazingly, he kindly held the door for us as we went through, which I thanked him for. As we went through, and thanked him, he smiled and WENT BACK INSIDE !!!!!!! He had got up to open the door for us!!!!!!!

I just thought I'd share this experience, as I am a great one for moaning about all the bad things and this put a smile on my face and gives me hope that things may, just may, be ok in the future. :thup:

Probably the influence of all the foreigners! :rolleyes: :whistle:

Yet when I had a huge bandage, bigger than Pudsey Bears, on my eye from detached retina surgery last year the scrotes wouldn't even vacate the disabled seats!

There's an obvious 'one-eyed' reply that I shall (mainly) resist!

Just poor timing I believe! I've often been offered a seat - even I don't, gnerally, consider myself in need of one! I certainly offer mine to anyone in greater need!

slightly off topic, daughter picked up car yesterday in Derby, woman goin through admin with us lived in Notts and moved down to Colchester with hubby. She said she moved back to the Midlands coz you could not get Curry sauce, peas or gravy with your pie and chips. " They eat um dry down south you know".

Maybe in Colchester, but in 'deepest' Surrey, there are plenty of places where all the above can be had!

Speaking of culinary delights... Always made me smile when observing fast food outlets in Scotland! Many seem to serve every possible style - in the same small outlet!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

how do you know those people weren't disable (or less able to stand) themselves? not all disabilities are visible.