London Golfers

Sam_R

Visit site
Great list, I spent hours searching for courses I could get to via train last year. My old job was right by Blackfriars so I could jump on the train at 5pm and tee off at Mitcham at 5:40 and get a full 18 in. Hoping to get to Wanstead as soon as lock down is over.

Londongolfer

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've started implementing many of the changes (working on adding 9 hole courses and driving ranges in the London area now). Please also do feel free to leave reviews on any of the courses you have played!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Checked out the link, and I love the reasonable length of your public courses in the London area.
I play on a roughly 6000 yard course (at least I did until this season), but the newer ones are too long to be fun from my point of view.

The problem is the location of the multiple tees.
At our club, they're offset and angled so that the hole plays correctly from each set of tees.
At many other places, though, they're just spaced out, one in front of the other, and on many holes, the resulting effect isn't ideal.

That's why multiple tees doesn't always do it for me.
Make the course an enjoyable length to begin with.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Checked out the link, and I love the reasonable length of your public courses in the London area.
I play on a roughly 6000 yard course (at least I did until this season), but the newer ones are too long to be fun from my point of view.

The problem is the location of the multiple tees.
At our club, they're offset and angled so that the hole plays correctly from each set of tees.
At many other places, though, they're just spaced out, one in front of the other, and on many holes, the resulting effect isn't ideal.

That's why multiple tees doesn't always do it for me.
Make the course an enjoyable length to begin with.

But you'll find many of the top courses like Sunningdale are like that on a good number of the holes and tees are simply in front of each other 10-40 yards apart. A lot of the London courses are not only old but were also built on limited space so those constraints affect the way they were constructed

One feature that does make a big difference though is if the different tees are stepped so the longest is highest working back down to the normal tee of the day

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great website. Congrats. The pic on the front is the 14th at the Addington. Lovely course and great views

Londongolfer

Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Took me a while to get back to working on the site (been golfing too much!!) but with it getting colder now, I wanted to pick things back up.

I got some great suggestions on this thread - I've already added all the nine hole courses in London and am working on adding driving ranges. Any other feedback would be more than welcomed (would also very much love if anyone wanted to add their own course reviews to the site). Thanks again everyone!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Took me a while to get back to working on the site (been golfing too much!!) but with it getting colder now, I wanted to pick things back up.

I got some great suggestions on this thread - I've already added all the nine hole courses in London and am working on adding driving ranges. Any other feedback would be more than welcomed (would also very much love if anyone wanted to add their own course reviews to the site). Thanks again everyone!

Good to see you back. Keep the hard work up.

Grizzly

Visit site

Well, if it helps, I joined a club in part based on your site (I never knew the club existed prior to looking at ones close to tube stations!) :)(y)

Londongolfer

Visit site
Well, if it helps, I joined a club in part based on your site (I never knew the club existed prior to looking at ones close to tube stations!) :)(y)
Wow - that's awesome! Definitely the best story I've heard related to LondonGolfCourses.com - out of curiosity, which club did you join? I ended up joining Wyke Green which is very accessible for me from West London.

Grizzly

Visit site
Wow - that's awesome! Definitely the best story I've heard related to LondonGolfCourses.com - out of curiosity, which club did you join? I ended up joining Wyke Green which is very accessible for me from West London.
Sudbury. Like I say, I never knew it was there (despite having played cricket close by and my other half teaching not a mile away - shame on me!) until I saw it on your site. I recognise its a punt - joining any club where you know nobody is always going to be - but it was by far the friendliest of the clubs I looked at, and a very decent lay out to boot!

Londongolfer

Visit site
Sudbury. Like I say, I never knew it was there (despite having played cricket close by and my other half teaching not a mile away - shame on me!) until I saw it on your site. I recognise its a punt - joining any club where you know nobody is always going to be - but it was by far the friendliest of the clubs I looked at, and a very decent lay out to boot!
Sudbury's a great course! I almost joined it last year - lots of variety (and elevation change) and you get some great views of central London (I'm picturing the view from the 7th tee box). I also love the finishing uphill par 3 with the gallery. I think you made a great call!

Londongolfer

Visit site
Let's not get carried away ??

Played it a few weeks ago, I would describe it as a varied and good test of golf in a tournament, but personally I wouldn't pay 5 quid to play it socially, especially the condition it was in.

Each to their own though ?

Prior to the rain we had, most of the courses in the London area weren't in great shape a few weeks ago, so maybe not a fair assessment but point taken. It is tough to find high quality courses accessible from the tube - amongst the small subset, I would definitey put Sudbury among the better ones (but definitely a different class from courses a little further out of the city).

sunshine

Visit site
Let's not get carried away ??

Played it a few weeks ago, I would describe it as a varied and good test of golf in a tournament, but personally I wouldn't pay 5 quid to play it socially, especially the condition it was in.

Each to their own though ?

That's harsh.

I'd pay up to a tenner ;)

Grizzly

Visit site
Prior to the rain we had, most of the courses in the London area weren't in great shape a few weeks ago, so maybe not a fair assessment but point taken. It is tough to find high quality courses accessible from the tube - amongst the small subset, I would definitey put Sudbury among the better ones (but definitely a different class from courses a little further out of the city).

I think this is accurate - of the couple of dozen courses I played over the Summer I'd say they handled the lack of water better than most. The conditioning is not what I saw at The Grove or at Stoke Park, but its good enough and like you say, the search for a course accessible from my home, by public transport that is short on stuffiness is a small subset!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think this is accurate - of the couple of dozen courses I played over the Summer I'd say they handled the lack of water better than most. The conditioning is not what I saw at The Grove or at Stoke Park, but its good enough and like you say, the search for a course accessible from my home, by public transport that is short on stuffiness is a small subset!!!

All about expectation. If you are commuting to a course and picking purely on accessability then chances are you aren't going to get the same standard as other courses where you have to travel more (and it is a generalisation). My old stomping ground at Wimbledon Common will never host big events but its an easy(ish) to get to course and will test most golfers most of the time for the cash paid

petema99

Visit site
At the request of many visitors, London driving ranges have now been added to the website: https://londongolfcourses.com/drivingranges.php - Thanks again to everyone for the feedabck. Please do let me know if you have other suggestions or ideas!

Thanks - this is a great resource! Think Hampton Court Palace has a range too - never been though, so not sure if anyone can just turn up and use it...