Local rule

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have one hole that has a fence running across it about 160 yards in front of a raised tee. The fence is there to protect the fairway and green from animals. Most players clear this but quite a lot of seniors don't and even more struggle when it is into a stiff breeze. If your ball comes to rest against the fence we have a local rule that says one shot penalty and 2 club lengths relief, no nearer hole. Back on the line relief for an unplayable ball under 19.2 b allows for additional distance to take the ball back so should this override the local rule?
We had a player last week who took his 2 club lengths relief and his next shot hit a fence post and rebounded straight back into him. If he hung on the left and not the right he would probably still be in hospital.:eek:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
1. I can't understand why the player should be penalised for taking relief from a condition the Club has imposed!
2. It shouldn't be a case of 19.2 'over-riding' the local rile. Both should be/are available.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. I can't understand why the player should be penalised for taking relief from a condition the Club has imposed!
2. It shouldn't be a case of 19.2 'over-riding' the local rile. Both should be/are available.

It is confusing when the card tells you what you should do in the event of landing against the fence. it should be removed from the card IMO.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would suggest the your local rule is an "unauthorised Local Rule". Unless the fence is declared to be an Integral Object, free relief would be available from an Immovable Obstruction. But certainly 19.2 would get the player further away and is always available.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would suggest the your local rule is an "unauthorised Local Rule". Unless the fence is declared to be an Integral Object, free relief would be available from an Immovable Obstruction. But certainly 19.2 would get the player further away and is always available.
Thanks. I think that things are about to change then. (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per rulefan. All they need to do is to declare this an integral obstruction and the rules then dictate the rest.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
But, is the fence meant to be part of the difficulty of playing the course? Doesn't sound like it to me. Just leave it as an immovable obstruction - free relief for lie of ball, area of intended stance or swing (but not line of play). Unplayable is also available to the player.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have one hole that has a fence running across it about 160 yards in front of a raised tee. The fence is there to protect the fairway and green from animals. Most players clear this but quite a lot of seniors don't and even more struggle when it is into a stiff breeze. If your ball comes to rest against the fence we have a local rule that says one shot penalty and 2 club lengths relief, no nearer hole. Back on the line relief for an unplayable ball under 19.2 b allows for additional distance to take the ball back so should this override the local rule?
We had a player last week who took his 2 club lengths relief and his next shot hit a fence post and rebounded straight back into him. If he hung on the left and not the right he would probably still be in hospital.:eek:

Rule 16 gives you free relief from interference by the fence which will mean you get the distance between the fence and the nearest point of complete relief plus one club length The two club lengths of your local rule won't get yout more than that but at the cost of a stroke. What's the point of the local rule?

19.2 allows you to gp back on the line 2 club lengths and way more for one stroke. What's the point of the local rule?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rule 16 gives you free relief from interference by the fence which will mean you get the distance between the fence and the nearest point of complete relief plus one club length The two club lengths of your local rule won't get you more than that but at the cost of a stroke. What's the point of the local rule?

19.2 allows you to gp back on the line 2 club lengths and way more for one stroke. What's the point of the local rule?

There is no point in that local rule. Been on the card for donkeys years I suspect but hopefully for not much longer.