Local Rule - Immovable Obstruction

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The post re. provisionals & water hazards made me think about a problem we have at my club. We have an artificial gravel path, defined as an Immovable obstruction, running behind our 17th green. About a foot behind that is the boundary fence. The nearest point of relief from the path, not nearer the hole, is on the foot of ground next to the fence, where the player's swing is invariably impeded. To allow for this, the club introduced a drop zone but members were misusing it, dropping there when they had an unplayable lie next to the fence.

The club have now removed the drop zone & introduced the local rule that, if it is thought the ball is on the path, a provisional ball should be played. I'm not sure this is allowed under the rules. I think that one of three things should be done:

(a) Define the space between the path & the fence as part of the path & reinstate the drop zone.

or

(b) Do nothing & explain to players that if the npr takes them nearer to the fence that's just tough and that they have the option of playing off the path. The path is light gravel & a shot off it would be just a short chip & unlikely to damage a club.

or

(c) Declare the path to be an integral part of the course.

What would you do?

This still leaves the problem of an unplayable lie against the fence where the only npr is in grass & undergrowth 2 feet high. A drop zone may be the best solution to this.

Perhaps a drop zone is the best solution to both problems.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If theres only a 1 ft gap between the path and fence then wouldnt a player need to stand on the path if his ball was between the two? The dropping zone sounds like the most sensible decision

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without seeing the area it is difficult to be sure. I guess it is not possible to take 2cl not nearer the hole for the unplayable. But what about -

If the player is between the path and the fence and decides it is unplayable, he may play from the dropping zone with a 1 stroke penalty.

Certainly the provisional is not permitted.

Incidentally, drop zone should not be placed punitively or over generously. It may be necessary to provide two.

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Put big signs on the fence to state "drop zone for shots affected by path only " or something like that .. ??

Cut the grass down for the NPR for the fence is the solution for the second problem

I find in situations like this it takes the committee & the greenkeeper to go out to the area and discuss the option available or options needed within the ROG & make them available ..

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We had a similar problem on our 17th f except that ours was along the side of the hole and racked the brains for ages in the same way. In the end we widened the path to the OOB fence, allowed a free drop for the path which meant that the drop was always on the course but rarely an easy shot with the trees we have, but rarely see a wrong drop

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been cogitating a bit whilst sitting soaking up the sun in the garden and see chrisd has had the same thought.
Incorporate the 1' of ground between path and fence into the path. Either physically widen the path or kill the grass and cover with pebbles or the like.

It depends on the relationship of the path direction and the hole position, particularly if the path curves around the green, but if there is a problem with finding an npr not nearer the hole, then use one or more DZs.