Lob wedge in a bunker

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Twice I have been in the Road Hole bunker at St.Andrews and both times got out to within 15 feet to the championship flag location using a 64 degree lob wedge. Even made one of the putts for the ultimate in sand saves.

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I can hit a full shot from a bunker, I'll use whatever club will give me the required distance (up to 3-wood), but if I have to splash the ball out I've always used a sand wedge and opened the face to get whatever height I need. Recently, I thought I'd try a lob wedge. Definitely not a good choice as the ball moved about a foot and stayed in the bunker.

As it was just a late-evening practice round I chucked a few balls into the bunker and tried to get them out with the lob wedge, just in case it was poor technique first time around.

The only way I could get the ball out was to catch it cleanly - not the easiest shot, so in future I'll stick to the sand wedge.

Are any of you using lob wedges in bunkers?

Every time if it's green side and within 20 yds and I hit the sand hard not picking the ball. You might be struggling because you don't have enough bounce on your LW. This is the issue with the LW: either lots of bounce so good in bunkers/rough but poor off tight lies, or small bounce so good off tight lies but poor in bunkers/rough. The choice is yours.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are many different techniques used for bunker shots. At my club, the different pros teach differently - some use the conventional open face, open stance method, but some use a square stance, square face, but hands behind the clubhead to use the bounce. The lob wedge is suggested for the latter method.

Last edited:

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are many different techniques used for bunker shots. At my club, the different pros teach differently - some use the conventional open face, open stance method, but some use a square stance, square face, but hands behind the clubbed to use the bounce. The lob wedge is suggested for the latter method.

Been using this method this year, saw Gary Smith advocating it at the Manchester Golf Show. Appears to be working!

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Watching Brad Faxon short game visd on Youtube helped me out in the bunkers. I went from hitting 4 out of them to coming out first time. It's still not perfect but seeing a slow motion video of the club going under the snad and springing the ball up in the air was a revelation for understanding.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm another that opens the face up, way more than most I play with.

My mate was struggling out of bunkers at the weekend and I said to open the face. He opened it about enough to play a 10yd fade, whereas I open it so much I could almost balance a golf ball on it.

Lay the club almost flat, aim your feet 20-30° left, ball level with left foot, hands back, and slap the bottom of the club (not the leading edge) into the sand behind the ball.

Might not be the way it's taught, but it's what I do.

This is spot on....never fails to amaze me when I see people get into bunkers and open the club face about half a degree then hit a sort of half chip/scrape with it, ball smacks into the bunker face, and you get the normal "no bloody sand etc etc......

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I change the club depending on scenario but frequently use the 60 degree wedge for bunkers.
I will also use my SW and PW.

Used a 9 iron a couple of times earlier on in the year to good effect.

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
my 56 degree clubface is so scratchy after use in bunker, so now i use my 60 degree,,,its not so pretty to look at either now---but gets me out from the bunker ---now and then

D

Deleted member 1147

I use my 58* wedge, I treat it as both my sand and lob wedge, for chipping, pitching and bunker shots.

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Every time if it's green side and within 20 yds and I hit the sand hard not picking the ball. You might be struggling because you don't have enough bounce on your LW. This is the issue with the LW: either lots of bounce so good in bunkers/rough but poor off tight lies, or small bounce so good off tight lies but poor in bunkers/rough. The choice is yours.

I've got 10 degrees of bounce on both wedges (60 degree lob wedge and 53 degree sand wedge). Good suggestion from a previous poster to use the lob wedge when there's only a thin layer of sand.

I'll spend some time in the practice bunker with both wedges.