Lithium quandary

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not that it “can come off charge” , it’s the hassle of remembering to go back into the garage and disconnect it. You would think the manufacturers would make chargers that allowed the battery to remain connected without harming it!

If you read the article this is what they say - the chargers for lithium batteries should be different to those used for lead acid batteries. Lead acid battery chargers drop to a trickle or burst charge if this is done to lithium battery it will shorten it's life. Lithium battery chargers turn off until the battery drops to a certain voltage and the boost charge the battery back up again and turn off.

As the trolley manufacturer should know what type of charger they are supplying I would follow their instructions.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you read the article this is what they say - the chargers for lithium batteries should be different to those used for lead acid batteries. Lead acid battery chargers drop to a trickle or burst charge if this is done to lithium battery it will shorten it's life. Lithium battery chargers turn off until the battery drops to a certain voltage and the boost charge the battery back up again and turn off.

As the trolley manufacturer should know what type of charger they are supplying I would follow their instructions.
And Motorcaddy do supply different chargers for their lead acid and lithium batteries...i have both, and they are very different beasts.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
When I plug mine in and it’s fully charged the light goes from red to green so I would have thought the charger would then stop charging so it wouldn’t make any difference wether it was left on or not.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I plug mine in and it’s fully charged the light goes from red to green so I would have thought the charger would then stop charging so it wouldn’t make any difference wether it was left on or not.

My version of the instructions for my 2017 trolley tells you to leave it on charge all the time. The instructions say it's perfectly safe and this method maximises the battery's life.

Interested in why they've changed the instructions for their 2018 range.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I take mine into the house after the round. Once the led goes green I unplug and flick the battery mounted switch to off. Ready to go back in the boot.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Powakaddy manual states;
Leave the battery on charge even when not in regular use to maintain optimum life and performance. It is perfectly safe to leave the battery plugged in on charge. Once the green light illuminates the charger will use virtually no electricity but guarantee you a fully charged battery for your next round.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My version of the instructions for my 2017 trolley tells you to leave it on charge all the time. The instructions say it's perfectly safe and this method maximises the battery's life.

Interested in why they've changed the instructions for their 2018 range.

I bought my Powakaddy in 2016 with identical instructions. I wonder if either the battery or charger has changed?

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Powakaddy manual states;
Leave the battery on charge even when not in regular use to maintain optimum life and performance. It is perfectly safe to leave the battery plugged in on charge. Once the green light illuminates the charger will use virtually no electricity but guarantee you a fully charged battery for your next round.

Just to add mine is a 2018 model Powakaddy

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is quite a lot of misinformation on the internet surrounding LiIon batteries.

Here are some basic points you can follow:

It doesn't REALLY matter whether you leave it on charge or, take it off when fully charged. Lithium batteries contain circuit boards which prevent overcharging. If left plugged in, they'll charge to 95%, trickle charge to 100%, drop to 95%, trickle charge back to 100% and continue the cycle. Personally, I like to take them off, as it stops the trickle charging (which DOES causes minor wear). If you don't believe this, put your phone on charge, watch it charge to 95% within an hour or so, and you'll see it takes another 30 minutes to do the last 5%

The only things that contribute to the wear of lithium batteries are use (counted in cycles) and atmospheric conditions. Dropping from 100% to 0% charge is 1 cycle. Dropping from 100% to 60%, charging back up to 100% and dropping to 40% is also 1 cycle. Anytime the amount of charge you used over a period adds up to 100% of the batteries capacity, it counts as 1 cycle. Lithium batteries are guaranteed for a certain number of cycles. Apple says your iPhone battery should do 500 cycles, before reaching 80% of it's original capacity (assuming it's kept in good atmospheric conditions), they do not just 'stop' working, their life is just reduced. Extreme heat or cold will speed up this process, and also cause wear to the battery, so when not in use, store it inside at room temperature away from sources of heat.

albatross2

Visit site
I thought this might be a thread about whether one plays better on or off the anti-psychotics. Nope. Just batteries. Too bad, lord knows there are plenty of insane golfers...

Fabia999

Visit site
I also bought the S3 Pro with the same deal, I have received the bag too. Very nice!

I believe the guidance states that you charge it once you've completed your round (as its better than leaving the battery uncharged for a while) and remove when fully charged. This is to not overcharge the battery, which i believe leads to short battery life problems down the line.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Don't know for certain if all lithium batteries have the same problems, but by definition, maybe they do.
I have experience of lithium batteries used in model aircraft. I know guys who have had fires because of overcharging. They need more hands on managing than nimhs or lead acid batteries.
It is a useful attribute of them that once charged they can be left a long time without losing charge.
But they are finicky and IMHO they should be disconnected as soon as fully charged. A fire in such a battery can only be put out by completely covering it with earth or sand, and then it might still go on.
They are not batteries to be treated lightly.