list of penalties

tobybarker

Visit site
Is there a concise list of what constitutes a one shot penalty and which constitutes a two shot penalty? I'm quite good on the rules as a whole but struggle with recalling which is which without recourse to a rule book.

failing an actual list, is there a rules of thumb which is useful to remember?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’m sure someone posted a phrase some time back that covered this so hopefully your post will be answered with that...

In the meantime use this:

If it’s your penalty it’ll invariably be a 2 shot pen, if it happened to another competitor sure as eggs is eggs it’ll be a 1 shot :oops:

Steven Rules

Visit site
I am sure you are after something more specific but 1.3c(2) provides a high-level overview of the different levels of penalties.

Steven Rules

Visit site
When you say 'concise list', there are dozens and dozens and dozens of penalty situations articulated throughout the Rules. My recommendation would be that you compile a list of the situations that you encounter most frequently when you play and then look up and write down the penalties that apply for each one. Over time, you can add to the list as you encounter new situations. Over even more time, you will probably find you can discard the list altogether as the subject matter becomes ingrained in your mind.

BillyTheFish777

Visit site
Nothing 100% accurate, but my rule of thumb is as follows

If it's because I'm rubbish at the game (eg. unplayable, penalty area) then it's 1 stroke.
If I do something stupid to my ball ( eg. pick it up without marking its position, cleaning when not allowed ) it's one stroke.
Otheriwse it's two strokes / loss of hole.

There are undoubtedly exceptions but this works for me.

salfordlad

Visit site
The one stroke penalty list, source generalarea.org.

Attachments

• 2023 Groups of Rules to Remember I - 2023V1.pdf
    34.4 KB · Views: 62

alex rutherford

Visit site
Yes, there are some general rules of thumb that can be helpful for determining whether a rules violation results in a one-shot penalty or a two-shot penalty. Here are some examples:
One-shot penalty:
  • Accidentally moving your ball while searching for it
  • Accidentally touching the line of putt or the putting green
  • Accidentally moving an opponent's ball
  • Ball played from a wrong place or substituted
  • Playing a wrong ball
  • Breach of certain rules of play, such as hitting the wrong ball or playing out of turn
Two-shot penalty:
  • Hitting the ball out of bounds or losing it
  • Taking an unplayable lie and going back to the previous spot
  • Breach of certain rules of play, such as playing from the wrong place or hitting the ball twice
Note that these are just a few examples and there are many other rules that can result in one or two-shot penalties, depending on the situation.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
Yes, there are some general rules of thumb that can be helpful for determining whether a rules violation results in a one-shot penalty or a two-shot penalty. Here are some examples:
One-shot penalty:
  • Playing a wrong ball
  • Breach of certain rules of play, such as hitting the wrong ball or playing out of turn
Two-shot penalty:
  • Breach of certain rules of play, such as playing from the wrong place or hitting the ball twice
Note that these are just a few examples and there are many other rules that can result in one or two-shot penalties, depending on the situation. It's always a good idea to consult the official Rules of Golf or seek the advice of a qualified golf instructor or official if you have questions or concerns about a specific rule.
1 of this 9 is correct, the rest wrong in whole or in part. Who would like to offer corrections?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
One-shot penalty:
  • Playing a wrong ball
Two-shot penalty:
Note that these are just a few examples and there are many other rules that can result in one or two-shot penalties, depending on the situation. It's always a good idea to consult the official Rules of Golf or seek the advice of a qualified golf instructor or official if you have questions or concerns about a specific rule.

Dearie me. Have you any idea how ironic that last sentence is?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
One-shot penalty:
  • Playing a wrong ball
Two-shot penalty:
Not sure where you are getting your information, but, as others have suggested, you should start with the 2023 Rules of golf book or app since many in your post are incorrect (even contradictory, eg, wrong place).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, not going to do them all but I'll start the ball rolling ..

Ball out of bounds - only 1 shot penalty
Ball lost - only one shot penalty
Ball unplayable - only 1 shot penalty
Hitting ball twice - no penalty

I'm guessing Alex might be confusing the 'distance' element of 'stroke & distance' with a penalty - as can't think why he'd otherwise think of it as 2 strokes.

Edit: Hmm.... two separate posts, in two threads, from new poster, both recommending "consult a golf instructor" ??

Last edited: