Links Golf

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Any tips? do's and dont's?

I've got a week in scotland end of the month wondered if any of you boys can give me some pointers.

Any shots i should be working on before I get there?

Cheers,
Jim.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
If windy, keep ball low and less spiny....extra club and 3/4 swing.
Greens may not be receptive so allow for bump and roll.
Think about using putter from long distances...green fringes are far less on links courses
Keep ball in play off tee!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only played a few links courses (but good 'uns including Princes, RSG - easily the hardest course I have ever played - Saunton and St Andrews New).

I'd say practice hitting your 7 iron from 100 yards and in. If it's windy your wedges will be a liability.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
If you get it on a calm day just play more or less your normal game but watch the bunkers (they gather balls in and so are effectively the same as bunkers twice as big). If the wind blows then stick the driver in the boot of car and learn very quickly how to hit a 3 iron 10 feet in the air and 200+ yards. Ugly but it will pay dividends. Oh, and if it is windy then high 20's stableford will be a good score so keep going.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plenty of club and hit it smoothly. Use the ground to run the ball where possible. Don't worry about yardage and par. Some par4 s will play like par 6s into the wind.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the replies... playing the new course and old course. getting a 5 day pass so will play a few of the others in St Andrews hopefully. Also playing Anstruther.

Gonna practice some knock down shots... actually looking forward to the 100 yard 7 iron :)

Looking forward to a bit of proper golf

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I play in team matches it is funny to see the parkland boys land a chip or pitch at the pin then get frustrated as it trundles 15-20 feet past. Something to bear in mind if the greens are hard

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I'm just learning links golf myself having joined a links course. Number one priority is to hit whatever you can to keep it in play off the tee, be that a 5 iron or a driver. 3/4 shots are the order of the day, take a club (or 2 ) more, land it short and let it run.

Be imaginative with your shots, if it's dry, whacking it at the pin is not on. I've been playing loads of wee shots with a 3 iron form 30 yards in, and percentage wise it beats the wedge every time.

Use the contours to your advantage, don't view them as a hinderence. There's one hole at my place where short is not an option, but there's a massive bank behind the green that feeds the ball back to the pin. I've learned to aim for this rather than the green as it increases the margin of errror massively.

So basically play the percentage shot whenver possible. Apart from that it's dead easy

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends if its dry and hard.

Both the clubs i'm a member at are links, but at the moment to can play them as you would a parkland course, just its a bit windier.

Depending on what the course is like, for instance a Royal Dornoch you would opt to putt from just off the green, up swails and bumps etc.

make sure you stay out of the pot fairway bunkers,
cos all you would be doing from most is just getting it out.

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
Enjoy it don't let the bounces get to you, avoid bunkers especially fairway ones they are an instant shot penalty always take your medicine from the rough, get the ball along the ground as much as you can and treat every hole with respect. One last thing play for the middle of every green forget flag positions. You do all that and you will play well.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Enjoy it don't let the bounces get to you, avoid bunkers especially fairway ones they are an instant shot penalty always take your medicine from the rough, get the ball along the ground as much as you can and treat every hole with respect. One last thing play for the middle of every green forget flag positions. You do all that and you will play well.

I don agree entirely with that if the course/greens are playing a bit softer then go for the pins if they are hard and running then the front of the green is a good option as the ball will run out.

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com

I don agree entirely with that if the course/greens are playing a bit softer then go for the pins if they are hard and running then the front of the green is a good option as the ball will run out.

If you are playing a links in true links condition it holds true every time and without doubt if it is playing soft you can be more aggressive but that is true of any course when it is soft.

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dont be afraid to hit the driver at a 333 yard par 4 surrounded by bunkers, and dont miss the put.

(ask Granters, he was raging!):)

scozzie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Member at a links and love it,my advice apart fom lots of good stuff above about low runners being a great way to get it around is to maybe play with a member if you can & watch where they hit it/or aim it at least!.Great fun to see someone whack it waay left & get down there and there they are,bunting a little 7I from the right fringe....aaaah, so thats why he wasnt worried on the tee!