Limiting factors ?

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah looked for patterns. It doesn't seem to be one specific shot, situation or hole. My game just suddenly goes completely off for 3-4 holes then will suddenly come back for no reason.

As I've said looks like a concentration thing but it doesn't feel like it when I'm playing, everything feels normal. I just hit a lot of really bad shots during that spell of play.

Another point to note i how you react when you do hit one of those bad shots. it's important to realise that all golfers hit bad shots during a round. Golf is not a game of perfections and how you react when you do hit a bad shot can make a big difference to what follows.

A pro once said to me that he usually hits around 4 or 5 shots well, the way he intended to. Let that sink in for a sec.

D

Deleted member 16999

OP - have found through coaching & playing with bunch of mid or higher index players overtime - a whole bunch of the lack of improvement & being 'stuck' at whatever 'level' (taking aside 'natural ability' thing for the time being)

no question a big factor is in the mental approach to playing 18 holes when to focus & what to focus on & how best to achieve that along with the clarity of shot intentions prior to shot execution

it's been around the difficulty folks have in being able to 'objectively' critique/analyze why stuff breaks down during play along with that just getting any analysis of 'why' just wrong as golf is real counterintuitive & folks think that they are doing 'this or these particular things' when the root/roots of the real issues lie elsewhere

& a whole bunch is really about course management & particular shot selection & club selection & making realistic choices giving both the general playing standard folks are at but also how folks 'feel' on 'the' actual day of play
& lack of prep before a round or again 'wrong' focus of any prep that is done

another big part is decision making after an 'error' happens

other real major stuff is I see more folks who just practice 'wrong' than with a practice regime that's tuned to bringing real improvements through the type of practice being done - so the small amount of time folks have for practice is not being best utilized

also folks not taking any lessons at all - folks taking lessons but not approaching them in a ways that's real constructive

most elite players/coaches & certainly PGA Pro's can & do improve an index players round by playing along with them & talking through course management decisions before their shots
Cheers Coach, played 18 holes today and tried to implement some of your points, first the bad ;) worst hole was a double bogey were my drive ended up 4ft off the fairway on a thick bank, instead of the “glory” shot I took a 7 iron and played it back on to the fairway, actually I didn’t I chunked it 10yds along the bank, Hybrid out, 8 iron under a tree on to the green and 2 putts.

That was the end of the bad, played to 6 under handicap, one of the best rounds I’ve had, just annoyed I didn’t try the glory shot now! :)

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers Coach, played 18 holes today and tried to implement some of your points, first the bad ;) worst hole was a double bogey were my drive ended up 4ft off the fairway on a thick bank, instead of the “glory” shot I took a 7 iron and played it back on to the fairway, actually I didn’t I chunked it 10yds along the bank, Hybrid out, 8 iron under a tree on to the green and 2 putts.

That was the end of the bad, played to 6 under handicap, one of the best rounds I’ve had, just annoyed I didn’t try the glory shot now! :)

cool
glad that it all kinda worked out in the end for that 6 under index - well played

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's more the execution of the shot that's causing the issue.

sure - sometimes decisions are all ball park good & it's just not quite a good enough a swing & strike - though as this has been an ongoin occurrence out in play most rounds for sometime now there has to be something more playing into it

my take through experience of similar issues have seen with folks think the root of it would likely trace back to both practice structure & methods
& then something goin on with the thinking the process around the set-up - psr - alignment