Life membership offer

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our place has started offering life memberships, limited to 2 per annum, for 10k.

This equates to circa 15 years subs. Seems like a big commitment to make, will you still be alive in 15-20 years time, still able and willing to play golf, and not bored with playing at the same club for so long? Will the club still be going by then?

Not for me at 59, but I guess very tempting if you are in your 30s, a golf nut, and can afford it.

I've heard of clubs offering free life membership to folk who have been members for 30-40 years, but not for a large lump sum. Not sure if it's a common thing, would be interested to hear if anyone has taken this kind of deal, and how it is working out for them?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our place has started offering life memberships, limited to 2 per annum, for 10k.

This equates to circa 15 years subs. Seems like a big commitment to make, will you still be alive in 15-20 years time, still able and willing to play golf, and not bored with playing at the same club for so long? Will the club still be going by then?

Not for me at 59, but I guess very tempting if you are in your 30s, a golf nut, and can afford it.

I've heard of clubs offering free life membership to folk who have been members for 30-40 years, but not for a large lump sum. Not sure if it's a common thing, would be interested to hear if anyone has taken this kind of deal, and how it is working out for them?

Bit risky imo

I remember mill green being taken over and their lifetime memberships were deemed no good anymore ... Not sure how it was resolved or if it ever was

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They offered it at my club a number of years ago. The club went into administration, the new owners took over the club under a new name, the agreement was with the previous company and so the life memberships were voided. That left a good number of very bitter members who have since largely moved on.

It sounds good in principle if you love a club but I would ask the question, why are they offering it? My experience is clearly tainted, others may have better experiences.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like the club needs a large injection of cash immediately, like said above what happens a few years down the line if the club changes ownership or worse closes, seems to risky imo

Robin Hood

Visit site
No chance of doing that......
My previous club (privately owned) closed 2 years ago.
My current club (member owned) isn't in that good a financial position.
Plus I'm not sure Maid Marion would agree to such a large golf spend !!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last 2 courses ive known to offer many of them:

Mentmore got to the point where it had so many life members it didnt have enough day to day money coming in and went bust (with the owner buying it back but still not reincarnated)

Brocket Hall offered a variety of long term options 5/10 years paid up front etc, parent company went into administration (was bought straight back out and opened again, those who had paid up front got nothing)

Both those were high running cost courses and it seems they were used as a way of "bringing forward" future revenues into cash flow, as the business wasnt providing sufficient to pay the day to day bills, can only end one way that in the long term

Wouldnt appeal to me as we tend to move about a fair bit and I spend more than my fair share of time injured :( Can see why they would appeal to some people but would want to know the club finances inside out and some assurances as to what would happen if the worst was to happen

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I think it depends on why it's been offered. I'd want to know why they needed the cash injection if I was going to take it up.

Sensible to limit it to 2 a year maybe they'd need a total cap too. A club near us didn't limit it when looking to redo the course and now about half the membership dont pay subs, a fair few donate as it seems it created issues for them.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
At certain courses, for certain people, they would probably be a good idea.

Unless your in the small group who can afford it at a financially stable and reliable club then it’s likely to end up backfiring.

It’s only ever going to benefit the club in the short term and leave you always worrying if you got value for your purchase.

Just pay annual subs and live the life you have, some things are just not worth it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not for me. No idea what the future could hold health wise and my club usually pretty good about offering a temporary membership freeze for anyone with a need for reatment (serious injury, chemo treatment etc) that can then be taken up if possible without any re-joining fee. So many clubs struggling financially as well and so no guarantee where the club could be in 10-15 years.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not for me when it was offered (about the same length of time to break even).

I know of at least 2 who took up the offer and stopped playing for one reason or another before the 15 years is out.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Problem is always what happens when the club gets into financial difficulty and these become worthless.

Usually the people who try to support the club get burned.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Would worry me if my club proposed this, why would a club in a half decent financial position even consider offering this ? It would only make sense to offer this if you need a cash boost and then you wonder what's going to happen after 10 years or whatever when this decision actually starts costing them money. Just seems an odd thing for a healthy club to do. Buyer beware.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I’d be more scared of the club going bust or sold for development Based on current trends.

That’s a big lump to stump up which hints of a club needing a cash injection. As you say if it was 5k after being a long term member is completely different.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I see you live in Whitley Bay. Is it Whitley golf Club who is offering this? I've read they're struggling financially. They tried at a club near us to get the members to contribute but it was too late and they went bust and all the money members had contributed were just lost. In the current climate I'd be very wary unless I knew the real financial status of the club.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see you live in Whitley Bay. Is it Whitley golf Club who is offering this? I've read they're struggling financially. They tried at a club near us to get the members to contribute but it was too late and they went bust and all the money members had contributed were just lost. In the current climate I'd be very wary unless I knew the real financial status of the club.
I'm sure Rudebhoy will be along shortly to answer for himself but no, it isn't Whitley Bay GC. He is a member elsewhere but I will leave it to him whether he posts where.

I am surprised to hear Whitley Bay are in trouble. Their membership list, 7 day, was full only recently and it is one of the rare clubs up here that is tough to get into. I'm a big fan, smashing course, friendly, down to earth club. I'm hoping the article you read was inaccurate.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm sure Rudebhoy will be along shortly to answer for himself but no, it isn't Whitley Bay GC. He is a member elsewhere but I will leave it to him whether he posts where.

I am surprised to hear Whitley Bay are in trouble. Their membership list, 7 day, was full only recently and it is one of the rare clubs up here that is tough to get into. I'm a big fan, smashing course, friendly, down to earth club. I'm hoping the article you read was inaccurate.
Doh! Sorry I was thinking of Whitby. Apologies

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

LT
Whitley Bay are most defenitely not in any troubles
Doubt they ever will be

Huge membership numbers
Wealthy benefactor recently injected rather large 6 figure sum, this saw a few changes to holes/greens, etc.....

They will be 1 of the healthiest clubs in the area I'd say

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doh! Sorry I was thinking of Whitby. Apologies

Phew. Not nice for Whitby but as I mentioned Whitley Bay is one of my favourite courses to play so I am pleased it was not them.
LT
Whitley Bay are most defenitely not in any troubles
Doubt they ever will be

Huge membership numbers
Wealthy benefactor recently injected rather large 6 figure sum, this saw a few changes to holes/greens, etc.....

They will be 1 of the healthiest clubs in the area I'd say

The post did surprise me as I thought the numbers were strong. Nice to have a friendly benefactor as well ?. Robster has cleared that up though.