Life expectancy...

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site
I use prov 1 the same as madandra and john.1 round and then for practice.

And if you are interested mass i have 6 boxes of tp reds if u want to make me an offer.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1 round per ball! do you all have razor blades as grooves? say you have 100 rounds a year thats about 250 quid a year on balls!

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I go through a round without losing a Pro V, I phone the newspapers! Assuming I don't lose a ball, I'll keep it in the bag until it is badly scraped or damaged.

On a similar issue, how many years of use do you get out a pair of golf shoes? My footjoys have just celebrated 5 years faithful service and are now very comfy but unfortunately have a yawning split on one foot leading to the ingress of water. 5 years? Is that a reasonable life span? £16 a year. Seems reasonable

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
£16 per year is reasonable but how many rounds do you play in a year and do you use them at the range or on the practise area? I worked out if my treads last me 5 years that would be equivalent to a mars bar per round.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Shoes last 18 months, balls are somewhere between 1 and 3 rounds. I ought to retire them after 1 round, but they are ok to play non competitive golf, ie: an evening hack with the boys.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anyone replace their shiny new ball with a knackered one if playing over water or is it just me being pikey??

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
PIKEY!!!

I find that my wedges scuff the ball when hit anything over 50 yards anyway so as long as I can read the logo and recognise that its my ball (and still round with no cuts) Ill play with it. I hate that feeling of retiring a ball after long use for a shiney new pearler pro V1 only to stick it out of bounds never to be seen again, another 3 pounder gone walkies! haha.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I won 2 dozen Srixon Soft-feel last year and I have been playing with them ever since. I still have about 8 left. I use a ball until I lose it, which is not very often, and my ball striking isn't good enough to tear the cover with the grooves. There's no point in me having a practise bag because I only practise on the driving range, and they supply the balls of course.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find the driving range is too forgiving when practicing.
Gett onto a practice hole at a course would be my advice, that way you are seeing how your shots work in a real scenario.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My clubs shred balls. 2 year old Macgregor 1025Ms. Even now after 2 years they still tear into the ball and cut it to ribbons.

Oddly, my mate keeps his balls for 6 rounds minimum, and only changes it when he has bashed it out of round. Never a scuff mark on them, look immaculate, just not round any more. Brand new set of titleist 695MBs. Very odd. Plays Bridgestone tours, but does the same with proVs too.

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
tpred,
if i was to take you up on your offer would you not have to change your screen name??
when you say 6 boxes i take it they are sleeves?

I cleaned my golf clubs a couple of weeks ago and have now started to shred balls and get some check or spin on them.

DCB

Visit site
I've been playing TP Reds this year and have probably used about 5-6 dozen over the season. They do get a bit scuffed when they have been hit with a wedge or sand wedge, but compared to the others I have used they are no worse off than them.

I like a softer ball that I can control around the green, thats where I'm going to make or break my score, so I'll use the best ball for my type of game.
It is important to keep on using the one make and type as chopping and changing balls will affect the way you play, especially around the greens.

Most balls make it into the practice bag after a couple of rounds. So I even have a practice with a similar ball to that which I play normally.

Need to look around for offers and stock up for next year, stocks are low at the moment!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
The worst clubs I had for shredding were macgregor 2000's years ago, they shredded topflites! The worst balls are callaway hx tour 56's they scuff with the driver never mind the wedges etc.

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My father in-law used to walk his dog round a golf course and just gave 2x 10L paint buckets of balls, you may think this sounds good but they are very old balls callaway CB1,titleist proffesional 100, PTS wound, balata, dunlop 65i. Hit some the other day when out for a round, surprised my driver is still in one piece like hitting stones!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a box of NXT extreme on the basis that Titleist would replace any ball that cut up during normal play with 3 new ones. Have sent 2 back so far and they have been good to their word by sending me 2 free sleeves.