LF: Whisky recommendations

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi:

Looking for recommendations for a gift, thinking Whisky. The person likes Cardhu which is a speyside malt, Laphroaig and Ardbeg which are peatier malts.

Any ideas / suggestions?

I'll probably shop online at the whisky exchange to make the purchase. Don't mid if it's something similar to the above as a small gift or a little more exclusive.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Royal Lochnagar was always my 'go to' gift - has everything a good Whsky should.

Lagavullin might be nice for an Islay - was my 'go to bed' tipple.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Royal Lochnagar was always my 'go to' gift - has everything a good Whsky should.

Lagavullin might be nice for an Islay - was my 'go to bed' tipple.

Lagavulin is a good shout for an Islay, I'd also recommend Caol Ila or Smokehead. As for a Speyside, Balvenie Doublewood or Founder's Reserve.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lagavulin is a good shout for an Islay, I'd also recommend Caol Ila or Smokehead. As for a Speyside, Balvenie Doublewood or Founder's Reserve.

He's tried some Lagavulin 16 year old before and that's an option as might be a variation of it.

Caol Ila is something to think about as I've considered that before and I'll have a look at smokehead and the Lochnagar (don't know how to multi quote).

In the 1st post I should have thanks in advance for the responses, so thanks in advance for the responses.

I've also considered a couple of the upgraded ardbeg options. I would've taken them to an event (either whisky or golf), but they're not keen on travelling.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unless he is a collector I would not spend more than £50 a bottle.
Four drinkers are better than one keeper.
Try a mixture of say, Aberlour Abundah [Sherry], 15 year old Ardbeg [peaty], 10 year old Talisker [Skye, my favourite] and a Glenkinchie 15 year old.[very smooth lowland 'ladies' whisky.]

I have a Bruichladdich Llinks Turnberry you can have for £60 + postage if you like [rare, now selling for around £100]
Only if you are over 18 though!!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unless he is a collector I would not spend more than £50 a bottle.
Four drinkers are better than one keeper.
Try a mixture of say, Aberlour Abundah [Sherry], 15 year old Ardbeg [peaty], 10 year old Talisker [Skye, my favourite] and a Glenkinchie 15 year old.[very smooth lowland 'ladies' whisky.]

I have a Bruichladdich Llinks Turnberry you can have for £60 + postage if you like [rare, now selling for around £100]
Only if you are over 18 though!!

Thanks for the input and thanks to blue in munich too as that brought a few different ones to my attention.

I'll make my decision Wed a.m. or more likely Thursday. I was thinking of either something a little more expensive than usual which may well not get opened or maybe 2 / 3 of the smaller bottle taster sets you can get, with the promise of a bottle of the preferred drink. Your post reminded of the flavour map or classic malt set, which might well have done and does provide me with the thought of obtaining a few different bottles. I am leaning in that direction now and he could be talked into hosting a whisky tasting evening so a few normal sized bottles might work better than the 20cl bottle sets.

The offer of the Bruichladdich Llinks Turnberry is very generous, thank you and I'm more than twice round the clock as regards being 18 (unfortunately). I'll bear it in mind for Wed / Thu.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As it's for a gift, why not give him something a bit different which he might not usually consider? Like a Japanese or Indian Whisky? There are plenty of good choices on the Master or Malt site.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As it's for a gift, why not give him something a bit different which he might not usually consider? Like a Japanese or Indian Whisky? There are plenty of good choices on the Master or Malt site.

Thanks, I was considering a Japanese option as one bottle, didn't know about India, but just read a good review of one.

V

vkurup

Thanks, I was considering a Japanese option as one bottle, didn't know about India, but just read a good review of one.

My drink cabinet has a 21 yr Glenfiddich that comes out on special occasions, otherwise it is the 18 or 12 yr old. Also, Isle of Jura Superstition is another interesting drinking one - sits between peaty & smooth.

I believe the Japanse Yamazaki won the world's best whiskey last year. So might be worth a try. I drank a lot of Indian wiskey's while in college there - wont recommend it (unless there is something new, which I frankly doubt)

PS: Trivia for you... Did you know, there is more Johnny Walker Black Label sold in India than produced annually in Scotland. This is because of bootleg cheap plonk that is used to refill old discarded BL bottles. Hence, a lot of people smash a bottle before putting it in the bin.

BTW, what do people prefer as mixers for Whiskey. I know a bit of tepid water is best, but water other options. I have found ginger ale can be interesting, as it does kick up the flavour rather than drown it like Coke.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
BTW, what do people prefer as mixers for Whiskey. I know a bit of tepid water is best, but water other options. I have found ginger ale can be interesting, as it does kick up the flavour rather than drown it like Coke.

If you are talking about single malts, why would you mix it with anything? Other than a small splash of water if required.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've heard that water helps release the flavours when it's overproof.

I dabble in mixology so do mix certain single malts in cocktails.

Thanks for all the replies, the advice had been helpful. I've made my decision and placed my order, though just in case it might get read on here (unlikely, they're not really computer literate) I'm not going to mention what I settled on for at least a week.