level shoulders

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
looking for some advice. Noticed when I took a quick video of my driver swing last night that my shoulders were very tilted at impact (left a lot higher than right) and wondered is this something I should be concerned about?

I'm hitting the ball really really well with my irons with a really consistent small draw with all irons. Driver is working a lot better with a slight fade the good shot but a slice still the bad shot. hitting about 50% FIR.

Had a look at quite a few pro swings and although their shoulders are tilted it doesn't seem to be as dramtic as my own. I appear to be nearly backing away from the shot and not nearly as centred as they appear.

What would cause this? and what problems might it cause? If it is a problem how do I fix it?

Attachments

• 2012-08-06_09-51-08.jpg
    2012-08-06_09-51-08.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 84
  • oosthuizen.jpg
    oosthuizen.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 55
  • mcilroy.jpg
    mcilroy.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Westwood.jpg
    Westwood.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 50
  • schwartzel.jpg
    schwartzel.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 45

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert on these things, but look at your head position compared to the pro's .... might be something to look at / work on ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Look at the difference between where your chest is pointing in the picture against the Pros. Your big shoulder tilt is making your chest point upwards through impact, the Pros are covering the ball and hitting more down through the shot.

Try keeping your shoulder rotation more around your forward lean. In the backswing turn your right shoulder blade backwards rather than lifting it, then do the same with the left in the downswing. This should improve consistency, ball contact and power.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers socket. Had a look again and my shoulder turn on my downswing is a lot steeper than my backswing. I've got a theory which maybe you or other experts might be able to confirm or dispel for me. My clubface is quite closed at the top of my backswing and I'm guessing this more vertical shoulder turn on the downswing could be related to this and it's a symptom of me blocking or holding off the release?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers socket. Had a look again and my shoulder turn on my downswing is a lot steeper than my backswing. I've got a theory which maybe you or other experts might be able to confirm or dispel for me. My clubface is quite closed at the top of my backswing and I'm guessing this more vertical shoulder turn on the downswing could be related to this and it's a symptom of me blocking or holding off the release?

Tilting your right shoulder down and your left upwards can get your right arm 'stuck' behind you and that will prevent you from releasing through the shot. Try and feel like your left Scapula it is turning backwards and not severely upwards in the downswing.

It will also give you that feeling of hitting past your chin as mentioned in the Video lesson.

Last edited:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Tilting your right shoulder down and your left upwards can get your right arm 'stuck' behind you and that will prevent you from releasing through the shot. Try and feel like your left Scapula it is turning backwards and not severely upwards in the downswing.

It will also give you that feeling of hitting past your chin as mentioned in the Video lesson.

cheers SR