Lessons

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a block of 6 lessons (30 minutes) when I first started playing, to get the basics across the board, including driving, bunkers, iron play, chips etc. Then had nothing for 3 years, but felt more comfortable with my game. I was firmly in the camp that I didn't have time to practice so I didn't see the point of another lesson. However I'm now having a regular winter group lesson (max 5 people) approximately 1 or 2 a month working on my short game / mid irons and I think it is proving invaluable. I really feel like I am on the cusp of a big improvement thanks to some tips I can now implement thanks to him. I still don't really have the time to practice, but the pointers certainly help if things are going wrong during a round as it helps focus the mind. He also fixed a huge flaw in my swing that has really helped.

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
lessons are invaluable, ive had 2, and my swing is much more comefortable and consistant, the pro says i only need a lesson every few months for tune ups, as my swing has developed nicely (his words) the biggest help i had was before my lessons from chris661 about the position of my hands in relation to the golf ball, man that helped me big time

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The swing is coming on, well apart from today on the course. Starting some serious work on the short game at a dedicated short game area at Pachesham in Leatherhead. Got a short game assessment tomorrow and then a lesson on chipping, pitching and bunkers over the next few weeks. This is the area that will really help me get to single figures next season. Even on a bad swing day like today, I can still make a score

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having started playing regularly again this year after 5 years of only playing 3-4 times per year, and having applied for membership at Gog Magog, I decided to book a course of lessons with the pro there. I used to play off 14, summer just gone I don't think I broke 90 once.

Had a game assessment yesterday, and my first lesson today. Everything the pro has told/shown me makes sense, the way I look at it I've got until about March to get my game in some sort of order, so a few lessons and weekly practice is a good investment in my game.

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My son started the game in early October, he's 8 years old.

He could hardly hit the ball, and when he did it was a lottery on distance and direction, even holding the club etc was interesting. I had been trying to teach him the basics but I'm not patient enough, or really know what I'm doing, also I'm his dad (so easy to ignore).

So I paid for a block of 6 1/2hr lessons (£80), and he has been doing these every Saturday morning since, in fact just booked another 6 lessons taking him upto Xmas.

The effect?

Magical! He now enjoys hitting balls, he enjoys his time on the range, he can leather his 3 wood for 120ish yards, which I think is brilliant. He now consistently bashes it off the mat, with all clubs, he's now at a good enough std to go on a course which we now do!

When at the range we play a game, I promise to pay him for any ball he hits on his called target, usually the stake varies depending on how hard it is. What he hasn't realised yet is that he's playing for his pocket money!!! Normally he wins around £5, but it means he is focused on each and very shot that he calls......

Plus I've been getting lessons as well, only at half the rate of my son?! I have noted a massive change in my ball striking abilities, much smoother and now playing with a slight draw over most of my iron shots.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldn't say i was a 'lesson junkie' but having regular lessons has helped me, more over than just getting out there and playing, as I know if I had just gone out and played, my bad habits would have got worse.

While I do adovcate lessons are a good idea, I openly admit they are not for everyone and there will be those out there that will have never had a lesson in their life, nor will they ever have one but will be very proficient golfers.

I 'only' pay £15 a lesson, and for what I have learned from the guy who teaches me, is damn good value.

How long is your lesson and where at/who with?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
At present I have a lesson every two weeks, have done for the past two years. My swing is a work in progress, but with the lessons and a lot of practice at the range I am getting there.

To me, lessons are invaluable, yes I probably could've watched numerous videos on the Internet, read books, magazines, forum posts and took advice from other golfers, be it the right advice or not, but without lessons and the eye of a pro teacher, how would I know if I was doing it right? How would I know if all I was doing was grooving in more bad habits and making things worse?4

Someone wrote, that they had a lesson and everything went wrong; Yes there is every chance that will happen, the same happened to me, I had a rubbish swing, but could play a round happy that I would finish with the same ball I started with, but then I had lessons and it was rubbish, trying to put what I was taught in practice was hard, very hard and very very frustrating, so much so that I would revert to the old ways just so I could get some satisfaction out of my round, but with lessons you have to have the patience and self discipline to persevere to be able to put into practice what you are being taught.

When you go for lessons, unless you have a natural glfing ability, changing your way to a new your way is like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. There will be weeks where you think nothing is happening and is it all worth it, then something will click and it all falls into place. I've had many of those moments and no doubt have many more to come, but through lessons I'm now swinging better, swinging slower, getting a better and more consistent strike on the ball, hitting it further, my slice is 95% gone, but when I do slice I know why, what I did wrong and how to fix it, my swing path has changed I'm now 90% of the time in-2-out, I can now draw the ball and I can now hit them straight which means they now land on the short stuff more often than not.

Could I have done the above without lessons, possibly? Probably? I do not know, but what I do know is that lessons have helped me become a better player, before lessons I was lucky to break 100, this year I made a PB of 83 and got my first official HC of 17.1. Next year I'm going to break 75 and get my HC into single figures.

That aside, lessons are invaluable for me, but I know that they do not suit everyone. All in all it depends on what you want to get out of golf, some are happy to turn up for a round with their mates enjoy the craic and not worry about what they do while playing, others, like me, want to see how far they can take this golf thing and want to push themselves to become a better player**.

**Edit - I'm not saying if you do not have have lessons that you will not become a better player or shoot lower scores, some, many will go their golfing lives without lessons and be very very good golfers.

Your pro must love you. He should be giving you more time between lessons and letting you spend more time practising. You would prob see more benefits if you had a lesson every 4 weeks then use the money u save for extra range time and short game practise.

MY pro refuses to give you lessons more than 3 weekly unless I was practising for at least 3 or 4 hours a day every day as the skills wouldnt be ingrained brfore then. IT TAKE A GOOD THOUSAND OR MORE BALLS FOR A SKILLS TO BECOME INGRAINED

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Your pro must love you. He should be giving you more time between lessons and letting you spend more time practising. You would prob see more benefits if you had a lesson every 4 weeks then use the money u save for extra range time and short game practise.

MY pro refuses to give you lessons more than 3 weekly unless I was practising for at least 3 or 4 hours a day every day as the skills wouldnt be ingrained brfore then. IT TAKE A GOOD THOUSAND OR MORE BALLS FOR A SKILLS TO BECOME INGRAINED

Can't argue with that.

I take a lesson every 6 weeks over the winter working on various areas.

Fortnightly does seem a little excessive IMO. Is there a reason he recommends fortnightly?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a lesson every 6-8 weeks, only earlier if I'm really struggling with something. Once I've had a lesson I try & put some practice time in to ingrain it.