Lessons Ayrshire

sneill

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi it that time of year where i get a little older. This year the wifes treating me to some golf lessons. I live in Kilmarnock however havent joined a club this year as get to play the 2 municipal courses for free.

I played of 20 in 2014 and am of similar standard just now. My problem is there are that many pros and lesson deals I am a little confused who I should go with and whether I should just do swing or throw in a couple short game and putting lessons.

Been looking at Rowallan Castles pro Ross Aitken and considered doing his ultimate coaching experience which includes
3 x 40min video swing
1 x 40min pitch chip bunkers
1 x 40 min putting
1 x 90 min on course

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Sneill,

I had a lesson from Ross a couple of months ago and will be using him from now on. From my limited experience, he seems to really know his stuff. He seems to be very busy as well, which is encouraging.

What was best about him was that he wants you to know why he's teaching you what he does and explicitly guides you on how to self-ingrain any new moves. So, no hitting it well during the lesson and then hacking it, until your next lesson.

Personally, I'd go for a half hour lesson initially, followed by his more comprehensive package- just to give him a chance to see your swing (and to ensure that you get on with him!).

Lastly, I'm from your neck of the woods- give me a shout for a game sometime!

sneill

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cool thanks for advice. Where do you play? Defo think im goin at least give him a go

Hi Sneill,

I had a lesson from Ross a couple of months ago and will be using him from now on. From my limited experience, he seems to really know his stuff. He seems to be very busy as well, which is encouraging.

What was best about him was that he wants you to know why he's teaching you what he does and explicitly guides you on how to self-ingrain any new moves. So, no hitting it well during the lesson and then hacking it, until your next lesson.

Personally, I'd go for a half hour lesson initially, followed by his more comprehensive package- just to give him a chance to see your swing (and to ensure that you get on with him!).

Lastly, I'm from your neck of the woods- give me a shout for a game sometime!

sneill

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply good to see few ayrshire golfers on here. Think im goin to give ross at Rowallan a try.

If any of you ever interested in a game get in touch.

sneill

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Booked ultimate package yesterday. So hopefully get few things sorted outand be in better shape for good go at it next season asaway to afghan in december.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good news , i've not played the Muni Troons for years . maybe even Doonfratroon will make a come back. :rofl:
Naw, my golfin days are done.

Trying to master the art of bowls but keep getting hammered by old biddies who find it hard to bend down.
Played my first club match the other night, 5-0 up after 3 ends and lost 21-6.

Bellisle is like a builders yard at the mo with the new Clubhouse nearing completion.
Course looks nice though.

PS.......Gareth from Belleisle is a good coach, he advises my daughter.

sneill

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well went for first lesson on Monday night. Was certainly an eye opener with Ross stripping down my swing and showing me where I was going wrong. Says there was a lot good however got me working on rotation on back swing and again on follow through. After seeing my swing on video I could certainly see what he was talking about. You would have thought I was about 60 with a bad back and not a 28 year old in good health there was that little rotation. Been on course and at range today and it slowly coming together. Ill try get some before and after videos up at least you can all have a laugh at my swing.

Sadly away with work for month now but can practice these exercises in my room don't always need a club in hand. Looking forward already to next lesson as going to tackle the downs wing which is currently a massive out to in causing most of my second shot to be in the long stuff or if lucky another fairway.

Will keep you all updated and try get some videos up

Kev59

Visit site
Went to Mearns Castle today and had an hour long lesson with Alastair Forsyth. Quickly spotted a few flaws with my swing/grip and after showing me the video and explaining what we needed to do we started to practice a few drills. Immediate improvement in the swing and resulting ball flight and if I keep practicing the drills I think it's going to be a game changer. Would highly recommend him to anyone and I've booked an extra 5 lessons because they have deals running for the month of January.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Found this on Google when I was researching Ross for lessons.

Had two lessons now and the difference in my game is night and day already, found out there is potentially a golfer in this body. Identified within two swings that I wasn't turning properly and I was lifting the club straight up with next to no rotation.

Fingers crossed we're now on the right route to fixing my game or getting it back on track. Hitting it miles better already and much more consistently. As has been said already he keeps it very simple and doesn't change stuff for the sake of change. Very approachable and a nice balance of technology and drills. Last lesson he was comparing my swing with Annika Sorenstam so I'm off to buy some skirts.