Lesson Time

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a lesson tonight, which I'm hoping is going to give me a reasonably quick fix to my problems, but more than likely is going to result in major surgery. Just under two weeks till I've got 4 rounds on 4 courses in 4 days culminating in bragging right against the Old Fart at Forrest Pines. Not sure whether to throw the towel in now.

I know and others that have seen me play have noticed that I'm falling back onto my right foot and hence producing huge slices, I binned one right last Friday with my driver that it actually came back past 90 degrees and started to lose forward distance, it's even got to the point that I can slice a pitching wedge.

It's kind of strange as I've had a lot on my mind recently and playing golf with those thoughts and I was playing well, striking the ball well, but now those thoughts have been cleared up and my mind is back on golf, the game has gone to the dogs.

Possibly it is just a case of clearing my mind, which should be simple enough, thought I'd get that one in before Fish or Fragger, and letting my swing flow, but I think that is going to be easy written down than actually achieved.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are falling onto your back foot at the moment and you have a lesson and the pro gets you to fix this, it will set your game back months until you get used to it.
I think the end of the season is the time for major swing surgery so if I was you I'd cancel the lesson

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although Bob has considerably more golfing wisdom than I do, I'm going to disagree and say you should have the lesson.

Get the problem diagnosed and then decide when the best time to deal with it is.

I would have thought even if major swing surgery is required to fix the underlying issue, there will surely be a "band aid" fix to see you through this season if you want to leave the bigger things till later.

However, either way, you need to know what is going wrong first before you can decide how and when to deal with it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just listen to Bob and enjoy the rest of this season knowing it aint getting any better. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If the OP is falling back.......
The weight transfer is probably wrong on the downswing and possibly the backswing too.
The aim is probably wrong
The transition swing path is almost certainly wrong
The balance will probably be off
The grip will probably be weak to stop the pull hook
And if the OP manages to change all that then the distance he hits the ball will increase greatly.

At the moment the OP has found a way of finding a balance of all these problems to get the ball round and if he has a lesson, where will the pro start?

If you fix one problem, the balance will be lost and the Op will find himself in between the old balanced swing and the completely new unsettled swing.

I agree if it was October/November then go for it but when you are playing in 2 weeks, no way.

Having said all that, Forest Pines has some very narrow fairways and if the Op wants to reduce the slice, maybe strengthen the grip a touch which will reduce the difference between the swingpath and clubface.

D

Deleted member 16999

Or don't listen to Bob, have the lesson and play worse for the rest of the season
Or wait till someone posts a link to a 3 minute youtube video that’s guaranteed to fix you, watch it and then ask, whose this Bob bloke? ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No need to play with a huge slice. It can be calmed down significantly in two weeks easily.

Get the head cover drill rocking at the range and also make sure your shoulders are not way open at address.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the OP is falling back.......
The weight transfer is probably wrong on the downswing and possibly the backswing too.
The aim is probably wrong
The transition swing path is almost certainly wrong
The balance will probably be off
The grip will probably be weak to stop the pull hook
And if the OP manages to change all that then the distance he hits the ball will increase greatly.

At the moment the OP has found a way of finding a balance of all these problems to get the ball round and if he has a lesson, where will the pro start?

If you fix one problem, the balance will be lost and the Op will find himself in between the old balanced swing and the completely new unsettled swing.

I agree if it was October/November then go for it but when you are playing in 2 weeks, no way.

Having said all that, Forest Pines has some very narrow fairways and if the Op wants to reduce the slice, maybe strengthen the grip a touch which will reduce the difference between the swingpath and clubface.

I gone back to my old ways, pre-many a previous lesson.

Take away and back swing are fine, grip is fine, club across fingers of left hand two knuckles showing, right hand placed onto, little finger and fore finger interlocked.
Aim is okay, if, big if at the moment I hit the ball straight it would go where I was aiming.
Transition is the problem, my old ways which I cannot shake at the moment is to start with moving my right shoulder forward giving an over the top casting swing action and out to in path, hence the slice

From that over the top action I have two results, massive slice or straight pull left.

I do know the cause and from previous lessons I do know the fix, but I cannot at the moment self medicate an answer, hence why I'm getting a lesson.

As long as I can hit a reasonably straight tee shot and play the second from the fairway I'll be happy and it'll make a round much more enjoyable.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forget the lesson Dave
Just sell your clubs

Buy some new shiny ones
Atleast when you’re hitting it sideways, others won’t notice, as they will be distracted by the new gear in your bag👍

Come and have a word with wor lass then see if you can persuade her :D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forget the lesson Dave
Just sell your clubs

Buy some new shiny ones
Atleast when you’re hitting it sideways, others won’t notice, as they will be distracted by the new gear in your bag

We all know it is the arrow, not the Indian :D. I bought a putter off your mate last week and sunk everything in sight on Saturday. New clubs are ALWAYS the answer :whoo:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I gone back to my old ways, pre-many a previous lesson.

Take away and back swing are fine, grip is fine, club across fingers of left hand two knuckles showing, right hand placed onto, little finger and fore finger interlocked.
Aim is okay, if, big if at the moment I hit the ball straight it would go where I was aiming.
Transition is the problem, my old ways which I cannot shake at the moment is to start with moving my right shoulder forward giving an over the top casting swing action and out to in path, hence the slice

From that over the top action I have two results, massive slice or straight pull left.

I do know the cause and from previous lessons I do know the fix, but I cannot at the moment self medicate an answer, hence why I'm getting a lesson.

As long as I can hit a reasonably straight tee shot and play the second from the fairway I'll be happy and it'll make a round much more enjoyable.

The massive slice is caused by the out to in swing, coupled with the open clubface.
The straight pull is caused by the out to in swing, coupled with the square clubface.

If, as I suggested at the end of post no. 6 you strengthen the grip a touch then the slice will be reduced

D

Deleted member 16999

Not much fun in hacking it out of the cabbage every shot till the green
But if you know you’re hacking it out of cabbage on your next shot, you’ll not be disappointed and the excitement if one lands on the short stuff will be superb ;)

I’d takes Bob’s advice on here over anybody else, you might be putting a band aid on something that needs a full body cast and short term fix could could lead to bigger issues.

Keep smiling bud, you’ll get through it :thup:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The massive slice is caused by the out to in swing, coupled with the open clubface.
The straight pull is caused by the out to in swing, coupled with the square clubface.

If, as I suggested at the end of post no. 6 you strengthen the grip a touch then the slice will be reduced

Indeed I know all to well the reason for the slice and pull, but as you say if I strengthen the grip and come over the top with a closed clubface, all that will happen is a massive pull hook. I've done that one as well.

If I was to stand on the tee and hit 50 shots, I could probably cover all the ground from the far left to the far right and everything in between. My swing result at the moment is the equivalent of carpet bombing the course.