legs

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
At address, how tense (not a great word, maybe braced would be better) are your legs supposed to be? I'm pretty relaxed and wondered if I should be pushing myself in to the ground a bit more?

Reason I ask is that I've been having a lot of toe strikes recently (I think every shot counts as a lot) found out that at address I was reaching for the ball and my weight was taking me forward more on to my toes. During the swing I'd return to a more centrally balanced position and present the toe to the ball.

Cheers!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Crucially you want a stance with a solid base, to provide resistance, both ways in the swing motion, the feet & leg muscles engaged, whilst you want the shoulders & arms/hands in a ready but relaxed state.

In the takeaway/backswing the legs only 'react & move' because they are made too be the arms hips abdomen & shoulders leading the movement as the body turns & coils.
Once coiled at the top of the swing it's then the opposite as the left leg starts the movement with ground pressure which the fires the left knee, hip, abdomen chest shoulders arms hands finally the club through impact again against ground force provided by the left foot & posted left leg. (for RH)

In general most ams don't use their legs over much, their swing is more an upper body lunge with an arm swing & some sort of a hit with the hands, or they wrongly move the legs knees at the get go of the takeaway & have the floppy 'elvis legs'.

Good footwork, 'engaged' & solid knees legs are a ways important to balance, timing, club head speed & solid strikes for sure.

Sounds like you could be standing up a ways out of your posture coming into & through impact (early hip extension), which could just be happening only then, but also could be being preprogrammed into the downswing because you're not staying in posture on the way back also, so this & your swing path could likely be pulling you onto your toes.

Number of causes this could be so, without visual reference can only really generalize. Ball flight, both starting direction & curvature to end of flight would provide some clues as to what may be going on.

Ground force, not spoken about over much. Quality of the next couple of vids not good, but the content & message is.

[video=youtube_share;STpivHaEGhM]http://youtu.be/STpivHaEGhM[/video]

Last edited: