Left hander learning with right handed clubs - Any advice?

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
My 8 year old has shown an interest in taking Golf up recently and I've been looking into getting him a kids starter set.

Seems there are far more options in Right handed clubs than left for his age and a few folk have suggested that he will be fine learning right handed from the very start.

Anyone had a similar experience themselves or with their kids?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which way round does he naturally stand to play golf, or any other sport, such as cricket, that similarly has a concept of left or right handed based on stance?

I play golf right handed, but I am left handed. I also bat right handed playing cricket.

I'd say let him play which ever way round comes naturally to him, left handed kids clubs are easy to get hold of these days.

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys.

He plays tennis and badminton mostly left handed but changes the racket into his right hand throughout if its easier for the shot.

Will ask him to play a few air shots as mentioned above and see how he does it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could always get a couple of left-handed adult clubs and get them cut down. Any pro shop can do it

That is not the way to go. The clubs end up as very head heavy which can stop a child from learning to swing properly. The grips usually end up too thick for a child's hands as well.

sunshine

Visit site
Thanks guys.

He plays tennis and badminton mostly left handed but changes the racket into his right hand throughout if its easier for the shot.

Will ask him to play a few air shots as mentioned above and see how he does it.

I would suggest trying something like a cricket bat or rounders bat first. They are not left-handed or right-handed, so just see which way he picks it up and swings it naturally.

I am left handed but was taught to bat right handed, so when I picked up golf it was obvious to play right handed too. I've since worked out that my hand-eye coordination is much better if I stand left handed, my dad should have set me up to bat left handed. But it is far too late to change now.