Left or Right clubs

Miyagi-do

Visit site
I’m left handed and I’ve recently started playing Golf, I have a right handed set of clubs I was given but I’m struggling to generate enough power in my drive to make any sort of good distance. At present it’s embarrassingly between 140-190 but I can’t seem to get anymore power, would it be best to invest in left handed clubs instead or persevere with the clubs I have?

NearHull

Visit site
I’m right handed. In my 20‘s I occasionally hit a few balls on a range using my BIL’s left handed clubs. I played cricket left handed, it seemed natural to play golf left handed. I started playing golf more seriously in my 40’s and played left handed with a hired set. After three weeks of range work and 4 or 5 lessons, my instructor stated that as I was hitting the ball with a dominant right hand I should turn round and play right handed.

I switched, but it felt totally wrong and put me back to the skill level of zero, air shots, tops, fats etc. But, I stuck with it and was able to adjust and now have played right handed for 25 plus years.

On the positive side, I used to carry a left handed mid iron which I used when a right handed stance was not playable.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have only just started play the correct handed clubs. It will save a lot of hassle if you decide to switch later as you will not have ingrained any swing patterns.

Some succeed eg Phil Mickelson ( right handed, playing left handed), Bob Charles the same

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m left handed and I’ve recently started playing Golf, I have a right handed set of clubs I was given but I’m struggling to generate enough power in my drive to make any sort of good distance. At present it’s embarrassingly between 140-190 but I can’t seem to get anymore power, would it be best to invest in left handed clubs instead or persevere with the clubs I have?

Get a leftie 7 iron and see how it goes