Ladies equipment / package set advice

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Hopefully someone can provide a bit of guidance / point me in the right direction.

My 13yr old daughter is ready for a new set of clubs - she's been 'playing' for a couple of years but not seriously, but is keen to step it up a bit so thought we'd invest in a decent beginners / improvers set aimed at Ladies (she's tall for her age so think Ladies rather than Junior is the way to go for longevity). However, am really struggling to find a broad choice - maybe it's the price point I've set (£300-£400) but the choice seems limited to Ben Sayers M8 or a couple of Wilson options either through Decathlon or online. I've been through Gumtree (for Northern Ireland) with no joy; tried building a set through Ebay but in the end wasn't really building a better used set any cheaper than a new package set - I wasn't that concerned about the bag but I would like a set that's consistent rather than piecemeal. There's a big step up to the likes of a Cobra starter set.

Anyone already been through this who can offer some advice?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My experience when buying golf gear for my mum is that there is nowhere near the selection available of ladies gear, both new and used. With the new releases being far less frequent or copious than mens' gear, the value doe not seem to drop anywhere near as much.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Golfbidder is a good starting point - This is filtered for ladies sets https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?SearchClubType=3&GolferType=C

I've also tried building a 'set' through golfbidder - excluding a putter and a bag I put together a set in reasonable condition; remains an option, wasn't cheaper than a 'package' set but just felt a bit piecemeal as her 'first' set.... that said we could easy return to it.

Have you asked her what she wants?
Yes - she's not entirely new, did a couple of junior courses last year and used some of my old clubs (not ideal) and some of the instructors clubs. The problem with ladies clubs is that they have an outdated view of what ladies possibly want in terms of appearance - so pink is out as far as she's concerned, so again that's limiting. She has claimed my nike (neutral coloured) carry bag for her courses and is happy with that but in terms of clubs she just wants clubs better suited for her; as I say she's been using a combo of clubs at the course, but when we're out she'll limit herself to the steel shafted 8, 9 & PW and hits them quite well as well as a graphite dunlop hybrid. But they are not ideal and with the light evenings coming in she wants her 'own' clubs as she thinks she'd like to play some junior competitions at the club that runs the courses.

Have a look on amazon for the Strata Package set, I think it's from Callaway and good value

Have looked at the Strata, had sort of eliminated it as there appeared to be some durability issues with the woods and the driver is suited to faster swing speeds although the irons appear very solid. The number of clubs you get is also decided by the colour of the bag! There does seem to be value in gold bag set so might be worth another look with my daughter this evening - thanks.

As @GB72 the selection for ladies is considerably lower with prices for used more than you'd expect, which is really why I was considering a new 'set'.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is interesting how much just the general price of clubs has climbed. Went on Clubhouse Golf just now. Not been on there for a bit as not been playing. You could always guarantee that they would have at least one largish brand name set of irons available for under £200.00 (think I paid £189 for my Wilson Staff CI7 irons on there) but now you are looking at double that for a set in the sales. Ladies clubs you are looking at £450 for the cheapest set on sale.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is interesting how much just the general price of clubs has climbed. Went on Clubhouse Golf just now. Not been on there for a bit as not been playing. You could always guarantee that they would have at least one larging brand name set of irons available for under £200.00 (think I paid £189 for my Wilson Staff CI7 irons on there) but now you are looking at double that for a set in the sales. Ladies clubs you are looking at £450 for the cheapest set on sale.

Set of cobra ladies irons for £245 on jamgolf (plus a 5% discount code), might be the wrong colour for OP though

https://www.jamgolf.com/product/cobra-fly-xl-ladies-irons-graphite-shafts

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes - she's not entirely new, did a couple of junior courses last year and used some of my old clubs (not ideal) and some of the instructors clubs. The problem with ladies clubs is that they have an outdated view of what ladies possibly want in terms of appearance - so pink is out as far as she's concerned, so again that's limiting. She has claimed my nike (neutral coloured) carry bag for her courses and is happy with that but in terms of clubs she just wants clubs better suited for her; as I say she's been using a combo of clubs at the course, but when we're out she'll limit herself to the steel shafted 8, 9 & PW and hits them quite well as well as a graphite dunlop hybrid. But they are not ideal and with the light evenings coming in she wants her 'own' clubs as she thinks she'd like to play some junior competitions at the club that runs the courses.

I only asked because a father and daughter came in the pro shop ages ago and the dad was asking the same sort of thing as you are. So I asked the daughter what she wanted and she said a new pair of shoes, saved him a fortune. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've also tried building a 'set' through golfbidder - excluding a putter and a bag I put together a set in reasonable condition; remains an option, wasn't cheaper than a 'package' set but just felt a bit piecemeal as her 'first' set.... that said we could easy return to it.

Have looked at the Strata, had sort of eliminated it as there appeared to be some durability issues with the woods and the driver is suited to faster swing speeds although the irons appear very solid. The number of clubs you get is also decided by the colour of the bag! There does seem to be value in gold bag set so might be worth another look with my daughter this evening - thanks.

As @GB72 the selection for ladies is considerably lower with prices for used more than you'd expect, which is really why I was considering a new 'set'.

At least with the link I sent they are all ladies sets so should have reasonable shafts for her, especially as a first "proper" set. They also offer a 7 day returns policy. Another option and wiser heads than me may disagree, would be to look at mens sets with light or senior shafts and see how she gets on with those