Left foot not anchored - what's the cause/issue?

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
I've been on the range a fair bit over the past few weeks, tweaking and adjusting generally (because the weather has been a bit crap of late).

I'm noticing that on the backswing my left foot is losing contact with the floor and is coming away from the ground on the left side (e.g. as I swing back I struggle to keep all my foot in touch with the ground).

I tried various things and focussed on keeping it there but I really struggle.

What might the problem be?

I don't think I'm swaying away from the ball when I take my backswing, but my foot still lifts up slightly. Could it be an issue with not rotating my body enough?

Thoughts would be welcomed.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bigs Jacks did as well. I think Seve did as well but not sure. If your not swaying or over turning. Dont worry about it. If it works it works.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the heel coming off the ground - as long as it gets planted back on it pretty early in the transition.

But if the left foot weight is going from 'balanced' to 'almost all on the instep', then I believe you will have problems with the downswing (and pulls or cricket style shots will be common).

Weight transfer (at least the backswing) is about moving the Centre of Gravity without leaning/swaying - ie: still staying balanced on each foot even if the proportion of overall weight on each foot changes. There has to be instants where that is not the case however, otherwise you would not be able to move (Newton's Laws of Motion apply here) but they should be very much that - instants.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There are cases of tour players lefting their heal and it hasn't affected their game.
However, the average h/cap golfer IS affected by lifting the left heal and it's detrimental to their game.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Because they tend to have a big sway off the ball onto their back foot and subsequently dont get back to where they started...or do get back and go too far passed the ball.
If the body stays centred over the ball, the left heal can do what it wants.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are cases of tour players lefting their heal and it hasn't affected their game.
However, the average h/cap golfer IS affected by lifting the left heal and it's detrimental to their game.

Some older or less flexible people can improve their shoulder turn if they allow their left heel to rise a little. If their first move down is to plant it firmly back on the ground it also helps with weight shift.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bubba lifts his heel. So did quite a few others.

I guess it depends whether you are doing it because you've moved way "out there" into no-no territory or it just proves you've shifted your weight, like a deliberate drill or something.

Either way, keeping your left heel planted doesn't guarantee not swaying, as I can testify :(

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Because they tend to have a big sway off the ball onto their back foot and subsequently dont get back to where they started...or do get back and go too far passed the ball.
If the body stays centred over the ball, the left heal can do what it wants.

Bob. Is this (the left heel rising) a 'Cause' or a 'Symptom' though?
Fixing the Symptom could well add another complication/fault. Fix the fault and the (lack of) symptom is the evidence that the fix has worked.

Do you not agree that that is the way Pros should be teaching - or at least stating and giving the golfer the option of fixing correctly/completely or overcoming in the short term?

I've certainly got a tendency to sway, but it's nothing to do with my heel coming off the ground - which it (now) does whether I sway or not (so 'neither' would be the answer to the cause/symptom question above, in my case).

Bubba lifts his heel.

I don't believe Bubba should be used in any example of good, or bad, practice!
:D
What he does is completely unique - at the moment! :mmm:

Last edited: