Left arm only swings?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi experts - it's been a while :)

So. Intermittently my swing goes a bit pear shaped or at least the impact does and a few unmentionables frighten the life out of me. My usual reason for these is swinging nicely from the inside but with an open club face which is somewhat caused by rolling open on the take away but mainly not rotating forearms sufficiently through the ball. Lately however I sense the occasional shot leaking high and right so know the club face is open but can still hit a nasty one. It feels as if in an effort to square the club my dominant right side takes over and I push the club out and OTT hence the end result...

Or at least that's what I think and how it feels.

So today I was struggling on the range and took a few practice swings where I had the right hand just resting on the club and really just a passenger. I wasn't sure if I could actually hit a ball like this but had a go and was astonished at the result. Strong, penetrative flight with a lovely soft draw (using a 6 iron). Hit several more the same way and consistency was great. Then allowed my right hand to grip softly and play a part whilst still trying to have the left side firmly in control.

Is this a good drill to repeat to keep things in balance or is too much left side going to present other problems for me? It felt bloody good although would soon fatigue my left arm I think as I wasn't sure I was strong enough to actually hit the ball that way and now have a bit of a callus on my left hand...

Any thoughts/advice? Ta...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Amanda.

I am a little concerned on your comments relating to rolling the face open on the takeaway and rotating the forearms through the ball. IMO this type of swing relies too much on perfect timing and will create inconsistencies when your timing is anything but perfect.

I would suggest you considered keeping the clubface squarer to the swingplane so that you dont have to rely on rotating the arms and wrists, your body rotation will square the clubface.

There could be a number of reasons you are hitting high and right but it may be that you are spinning out your hips and geting your arms trapped behind you. If this may be the case then try bumping your hips to the left to start your downswing, this will give you more room to drop your arms before rotating through. When you are practising more left hand dominant you may be swinging down slower and getting your arm hip sequencing better coordinated.

I hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was shown this drill - left arm only with right arm behind my back - as one to get the proper left arm action - flat wrist, arm ahead of ball, proper 'connection'.

Best to use a 9i or PW (8i at most) as anything longer encourages flipping - something the drill aims to reduce.

Very satisfying when good connections re made and a nice shape results (slight draw).

SR and I (and others) have been thru the rolling/not rolling benefits/issues debate. Does sound like reducing/eliminating the roll could help, though power may initially reduce - but should return with more confidence in the consistency.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Amanda.

I am a little concerned on your comments relating to rolling the face open on the takeaway and rotating the forearms through the ball. IMO this type of swing relies too much on perfect timing and will create inconsistencies when your timing is anything but perfect.

I would suggest you considered keeping the clubface squarer to the swingplane so that you dont have to rely on rotating the arms and wrists, your body rotation will square the clubface.

There could be a number of reasons you are hitting high and right but it may be that you are spinning out your hips and geting your arms trapped behind you. If this may be the case then try bumping your hips to the left to start your downswing, this will give you more room to drop your arms before rotating through. When you are practising more left hand dominant you may be swinging down slower and getting your arm hip sequencing better coordinated.

I hope this is of some help.

Thanks. My coach has been trying to get me to feel I hood the clubface more on the way back but it is a struggle for me so still a WIP. The hips spinning too fast is also something I am prone to do and can get quite stuck at times. Love this game but boy is it complex!

I was shown this drill - left arm only with right arm behind my back - as one to get the proper left arm action - flat wrist, arm ahead of ball, proper 'connection'.

Best to use a 9i or PW (8i at most) as anything longer encourages flipping - something the drill aims to reduce.

Very satisfying when good connections re made and a nice shape results (slight draw).

SR and I (and others) have been thru the rolling/not rolling benefits/issues debate. Does sound like reducing/eliminating the roll could help, though power may initially reduce - but should return with more confidence in the consistency.

Hmmm yes, flipping is not something I want to encourage as have fought long and hard to eradicate that - or at least try to.

Thanks guys.

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having lessons at the moment and my coach quite often gets me to hit a few with the right hand over the left and so encouraging the left to do all the work. It works especially if I use a bit too much right arm and hook my balls when playing.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have had a problem but shots going left and i discovered this to be quitting on the extension through the ball

In my case i was striking with a closed face and hooking it