Leather Golf Bags

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have asked this before but didn't get a reply so thought I'd try it again.
Has anyone bought or used a Mackenzie Walker or Links & Kings leather carry bag, they're made in the US and are expensive. The Links & Kings bags are available from some of the more 'elite' clubs in the UK but come with the club logo, failing that you have to buy direct from the US.

I've just read that Links & Kings have just been acquired by Acushnet so will be interesting to see what happens. Both also make some amazing headcovers etc.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My old experience of them is watching one of the caddies at my club, struggling around with one which belonged to an american visitor in the group in front of us one day.

Looked mighty heavy and almost killed the poor lad lugging it around on his shoulder.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Brings back nightmares of carrying big heavy, leather bags in the wet with a single strap. Hard work and they weren't renowned for the waterproof qualities. Might be nice for a summer evening round but not sure the UK climate is really suited to leather bags

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I owe an old leather bag, it's in poor condition but still does the job, so they clearly do mix ok with the UK's weather. Ditched it for a nicer bag because, even without clubs, the thing was damned heavy.

My expectation is that these premium bags will be a little lighter given they're newer, but I cannot ever imagine it being light enough to leave me wanting to lug one round a course unless you want to purely show off how much you spent.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Guys sorry I meant the smaller ‘Sunday’ type bags, not the big old heavy leather things from years back

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never owned one but theMckenzie bags look awesome (to me) - I’d definitely have one for the summer.....bit lumpy price-wise though

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why use a material that's ill equipped for the job when there is better modern materials for the weather, lightness and strength?