Least terrible low/no alcohol beer

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is a depressing topic but...

I'm out tomorrow evening and, due to all sorts of things I can do nothing about, I'll be driving home.

Not keen on soft drinks, so are there any drinkable beers, or any that are particularly bad that I should avoid? Will be bring-your-own, so not restricted to normal pub offerings.

Sigh...

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Clausthaler is the least abominable in my book.
What is it you don't like about soft drinks? There's quite a lot of alcohol free alternatives in shops these days that aren't just sweet and fizzy crap.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a depressing topic but...

I'm out tomorrow evening and, due to all sorts of things I can do nothing about, I'll be driving home.

Not keen on soft drinks, so are there any drinkable beers, or any that are particularly bad that I should avoid? Will be bring-your-own, so not restricted to normal pub offerings.

Sigh...

I've had the Brewdog Nanny State alcohol free beer which is ok. I'd prefer to drink a very weak shandy than an alcohol free beer as I don't think they really taste the same but also not keen on drinking soft drinks all night although some of the fruit juice these days are decent enough.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
a few years ago when I was on antidepressants, which meant I couldn't have alcohol, I used to drink Bavaria.

No doubt there are better "beers" out there but as its only for 1 night then they'll probably be fine

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't bother drinking non-alcohol beer, defeats the purpose in my opinion. None of them are nice enough that you would actively want to drink them.

How can you dislike all soft drinks? Too much sugar? You couldn't try having orange juice or something? A few people I know like to have lime cordial and soda when they're not drinking - not as much sugar in that. Or orange cordial if you prefer of course. You can have a pint of that very cheaply (so you're not going through them too quick).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Becks Blue is most likely what you'll get and IMO it is the worst of the lot.

An Erdinger and Clausthaler are fine. As indeed are most of the German ones tbh.

My club sell Bitburger and that's OK. My favs vary but Budweiser Prohibition; Cobra Zero and Heineken Zero are all good as zero alcohol (or <0.05%) drinks. Or make it a 'summer' beer and add a dash of lime.

I have only once had a draft zero alcohol and that was in the Burnbrae in Bearsden (Glasgow suburb)- a perfectly acceptable and refreshing pint of Bitburger.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Any suggestions? That aren't full of sugar or sweetners?

Would need to be longish though, as it's nice to be able to hold something and sip...

Beer is full of sugar and by association I'm assuming non alcoholic beer is full of sugar. Seems a bit daft to avoid soft drinks because of sugar but be ok to drink beer or a non alcoholic beer.

Go for a cordial mixer and soda water (I think that's just a fancy way of saying diluting juice and fizzy water.)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pint of Blackcurrant and Soda is the way forward. Or a J20 in a pint glass with ice topped up with soda - takes away a bit of the sweetness.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any suggestions? That aren't full of sugar or sweetners?

Would need to be longish though, as it's nice to be able to hold something and sip...

Very difficult to be honest as they pretty much all tick those boxes. Try a pint of fresh orange and lemonade. The fresh orange reduces the fizz and the bitterness of the fresh orange reduces the sweetness of the lemonade.

I tend to drink a diet coke but after a couple I get full of fizz and need to move onto something else, whatever takes my fancy at that time. I could go tonic water, bitter lemon, drink as above. It is the equivalent of going across the optics. It does get boring, no escape from that. You just have to accept it I'm afraid.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Bavaria or Erdinger as long as they are chilled properly, both revolting warm. Jury’s out on Nanny State but probably not as good as the others imo.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Heinekin Zero or Innis & None are not hideous imo.

I tried Budweiser Prohibtion. The first sip was ok, but got worse the more I tried.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for all these.

Have picked up some brew dog and st peters. The choice available excluded many of the suggestions. Also found a bottle of Waitrose low alcohol cider in the cupboard... Will report back.

In answer to the question about drinking fruit juices, I don't mind a bit at breakfast, but in general, I don't enjoy sweet drinks - no sugar in coffee or tea either. I much prefer something a bit more complex and savory. Just a personal thing, no judgements!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a personal thing, no judgements!

Someone would have to be a proper snowflake to get offended by a person saying they don't like soft drinks. It shows how worried we all get now about offending people though. Put the boot in to a diet coke, it wont bother me :D

One thing I have started to do now if I am the driver and that is at some part of the night look if the pub has a tea / coffee machine. Lots do now and that helps mix things up. I think you said this was a bring your own job and it would look a bit sad turning up with a flask but it is an option on other nights when you are the driver.