Leaky shoes

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just about given up trying to find golf shoes that remain waterproof. Seems that every pair I buy is OK for about 10 rounds, then start leaking around the toes.
But something has just occured to me: it's always the right foot that leaks the most.
Could there be something about the way I swing that somehow ruptures the waterproofing on the right shoe?
Anyone else ever noticed this asymmetry with shoes that leak?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might be the way you walk. Or if you're carrying, slightly more weight on one side?

Every pair of trainers I own that I do a lot of walking in, wear right through the heels. I don't think this happens to other people, so I figured that was just the way I walk.

Generally consensus on here is that all golf shoes leak eventually and you're better off buying waterproof socks anyway.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Ten rounds is really not much. Mine normally start to leak after about 2 years. And for me it is usually from the toes as well. I didn't notice a difference between the left and right shoe, though (even though one might start leaking before the other, but I doubt that it is always the same side). At that time I normally promote the shoes to summer-only golf shoes and get a new pair for winter use.

As Orikoru has suggested, it might be an uneven walk that's causing it in your case. I know some manufacturers guarantee waterproofness (is that even a word?) for six months or even a year. Also, you could try if spraying the shoes with wax spray or rain protection spray helps.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just about given up trying to find golf shoes that remain waterproof. Seems that every pair I buy is OK for about 10 rounds, then start leaking around the toes.
But something has just occured to me: it's always the right foot that leaks the most.
Could there be something about the way I swing that somehow ruptures the waterproofing on the right shoe?
Anyone else ever noticed this asymmetry with shoes that leak?

I've had this problem - although not as dreadful in terms of leaking after 10 rounds.

Eventually bit the bullet and splashed out for a set of Footjoy Dryjoys - not a trivial investment at around £120 - and despite them taking quite a bit of walking in - they are absolutely great from a waterproofing point of view.

Previous tactics were to buy Nike or Footjoy shoes at around £40 when on sale. Ultimately not all that waterproof, and didn't last long enough from that point of view.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the various replies.

Still interested to hear if anyone else has noticed one foot leaking more than the other. The golf swing seems an obvious source of any asymmetric wear.

I have indeed tried waterproof socks (and found Sealskinz to be better than Dexshells).
Perhaps the time has come to just buy cheap shoes and lots of pairs of Sealskinz.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Unlikely to be caused by swinging the club, more to do with the way you walk.

Are you sure you're not just sweating a lot? common misconception is that shoes are leaking when in fact they are not.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All my shoes have leaked after 12-18 months

except one pair.

Ecco tour hybrids

they lasted nearly 5 years.

Best shoes I’ve ever owned and the comfiest bar far

Class act.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I have FJ winter boots that I’ve just started wearing again for the winter. This will be their 3rd winter but I’m getting a wet right foot now, I just accept it and go home with a wet sock, not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the point they tend to break down (regardless of make) is around the inside near the ball of the foot. However I have never had a make breakdown after just 10 rounds.

Have you put your hand inside the shoe to see if you are causing the inner liner to get a hole in it anywhere near the toes ? If yes -signs of wrong size or width fitting.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Unlikely to be caused by swinging the club, more to do with the way you walk.
Well, I have been told I walk funny (feet splayed out like a duck), but pretty sure there's no difference between right and left feet.

Are you sure you're not just sweating a lot? common misconception is that shoes are leaking when in fact they are not.
Absolutely not sweating. The socks are sopping wet around the toes when the ground is wet. When the ground is dry - dry socks. When I tried Sealskinz - dry feet, socks wet on the outside.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Join a Links course this should eliminate you having to worry about your shoes leaking, unless you keep hitting it in the rough, I would then recommend visiting your local Pro and get some lessons

dronfield

Visit site
My current pair of Dryjoys are about to start their third winter. So far so good. But I am a bit sad about post round drying, cleaning and use of dubbin/ Niwwaxx Spray etc ;) And, they go back in the box in April!

I do similar - use shoe trees to help dry the shoes & keep their shape.
Have always used dubbin, but someone recently told me that it can rot the stitching - not sure how true that is, as never experienced any such issues.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I do similar - use shoe trees to help dry the shoes & keep their shape.
Have always used dubbin, but someone recently told me that it can rot the stitching - not sure how true that is, as never experienced any such issues.

I always let the shoes dry naturally, put shoe horns in and gel packs. Once they are dry I'll polish them and then add dubbin every month or so