Laura Davis to play in a Senior Event

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Whats wrong with her own tour ?

Its not doing so well - don’t believe there is a seniors ladies tour and the LET is struggling for events and sponsership

They have one event from now until the end of July and only a further 5 left to play

Maybe this a step forward to getting Ladies and Men pros playing together which is a good step

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its not doing so well - don’t believe there is a seniors ladies tour and the LET is struggling for events and sponsership

They have one event from now until the end of July and only a further 5 left to play

Maybe this a step forward to getting Ladies and Men pros playing together which is a good step

In your opinion, not mine. One assumes that there is a reason the ladies tour is not doing as well as the mens, why should the lower ranked men suffer to benefit a failing ladies tour ?

D

Deleted member 15344

In your opinion, not mine. One assumes that there is a reason the ladies tour is not doing as well as the mens, why should the lower ranked men suffer to benefit a failing ladies tour ?

She is playing on the Seniors Tour in one event on a sponser invite - no lower ranked Man is suffering - the European Seniors Tour is also struggling to attract sponsors especially with most of the high profile players choosing to play on the Seniors Tour in the US.

Golf is a sport in a great position where it has the potential to be gender free - clubs are going gender free tees and I hope most clubs are moving towards gender free comps. When you have two tours struggling then it could be a great idea to try and joint event

And the reason why all the European tours are struggling are the same - lack of money

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
lets face it not many woman watch golf, less play it, its not attractive to sponsors hence they are struggling to attached companies .

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
She is playing on the Seniors Tour in one event on a sponser invite - no lower ranked Man is suffering - the European Seniors Tour is also struggling to attract sponsors especially with most of the high profile players choosing to play on the Seniors Tour in the US.

Golf is a sport in a great position where it has the potential to be gender free - clubs are going gender free tees and I hope most clubs are moving towards gender free comps. When you have two tours struggling then it could be a great idea to try and joint event

And the reason why all the European tours are struggling are the same - lack of money

Frankly I doubt a coming together of these two tours will do anything to 'popularise' golf, I rather suspect the opposite. Now this is my opinion only but I am very definitely not in favour of 'gender free' (who thought that one up for christs sake) golf, I want to be able to play golf with my male friends, maybe I am in the minority, I think the vocal minority are pushing things like this in all areas of life, some are good some are not.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This will be great publicity for the event she is playing in. She will be playing off the same tees so it is an equal situation, genuine gender free. I don't see how anyone can complain about that.

If she does well it may lead to others joining in. If she bombs then it will be the end of that. She is ultra competitive and she will not want to be turning up at future comps to prop up the whole tournament.

D

Deleted member 15344

Frankly I doubt a coming together of these two tours will do anything to 'popularise' golf, I rather suspect the opposite. Now this is my opinion only but I am very definitely not in favour of 'gender free' (who thought that one up for christs sake) golf, I want to be able to play golf with my male friends, maybe I am in the minority, I think the vocal minority are pushing things like this in all areas of life, some are good some are not.

Golf needs more than just middle age men to keep the game going , there are many areas where Golf needs to improve and one is attracting ladies to the game , you can still play golf with your Male friends , but there is no reason why Golf as a sport shouldn’t be open to all that wish to play it and at the same time as everyone else - whether that be at the weekend or during the week.

Laura Davies playing in this one event is going to attract attention and it’s going to show that both men and women can play the same sport together at the same time without restriction.

Over in Europe this is embraced massively and the upturn in the amount of Ladies playing is thriving and the numbers overall playing the sport is increasing. Our club has had gender free medals for 3 years now and the increase in ladies playing at the weekend is great as is the increase of couples and families joining the club

The sooner the “ladies only day” and “men only days/Comps” disappear then the quicker the sport will move forward and attract a lot of new and different people into the sport - it will happen over time.

The current issue with the Lady in Wales is only the tip of the iceberg. Gender free tees with people picking a tee based on ability is a very good step forward

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Playing the same sport together and competing together are two totally different things, I'm all for mixed competitions, as long as they are competitive but until such times as women can hit the ball as far as the men I doubt that'll happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

Playing the same sport together and competing together are two totally different things, I'm all for mixed competitions, as long as they are competitive but until such times as women can hit the ball as far as the men I doubt that'll happen.

That’s called a Handicap System - it allows people from all abilities regards of sex to play together and be competitive- I know plenty ladies that will hit it further than me and you and off the same tee as well. But then the game isn’t just about hitting it as far as you can off the tee.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
OK, at your club how many men do you think would happily play with the women ? I'd suggest at my place less than 10.

As regards handicaping, never in a million years would the women at my club get in the top 50 of the results if they played off the same tees as the men.

D

Deleted member 15344

OK, at your club how many men do you think would happily play with the women ? I'd suggest at my place less than 10.
At our place we have plenty - for the last three years the ladies have been entering the medals/Stableford at the weekend at any time they wish and men put their name down next to them and if a lady puts their name down the men don’t scream and take their name off.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
At our place we have plenty - for the last three years the ladies have been entering the medals/Stableford at the weekend at any time they wish and men put their name down next to them and if a lady puts their name down the men don’t scream and take their name off.

We have several previously men's comps which are now 'gender free', strangely none of the ladies comps are open to men.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The sooner the “ladies only day” and “men only days/Comps” disappear then the quicker the sport will move forward and attract a lot of new and different people into the sport - it will happen over time.

The current issue with the Lady in Wales is only the tip of the iceberg. Gender free tees with people picking a tee based on ability is a very good step forward

isn't it the Ladies that want to keep these days? i think i remember you even saying you still have a ladies day at your club and can't play yourself that day..

Cake and eating it springs to mind here.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

As regards handicaping, never in a million years would the women at my club get in the top 50 of the results if they played off the same tees as the men.

Quoting you Cabby as just the latest post rather than directing it at you but I just don't get this and it doesn't seem a great reflection on your club either. Fully understand people may have a preference but not being happy to play with someone you haven't met just because of gender seems odd, particularly as they could be a better golfer.

On handicap competitions there is no reason why women couldn't be in the top 50, or if you are suggesting that only top 50 should play of scratch then I'd expect a lot of the male members shouldn't be entering.

Carry on playing socially with mates, but a club competition is to be played with whoever you're drawn against if that's the rules. Padrig and Sergio still had to play together during their feud.

As for the event themselves, the sponsors clearly feel that Laura adds value which I'd suggest the news stories confirm. Good luck to her, and given equal tees and no handicap I can't see why anybody would complain.

Final point, isn't gender neutral effectively a term for open to all. I think part of that is in one of the golf tournaments...