Laser with slope function

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Anyone have one of these?

My range finder is playing up and, as it's old, I thought I might treat myself to a new one sometime this winter.

I see that quite a few have the slope function these days, and that you can turn the function off.

To those that own one; are they good, have you found your clubbing improved by using the "illegal" function in none competition play, have you ever forgotten to turn it off, which do you have and would you recommend paying the extra for one?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Don’t own one myself but is the illegal bit measuring the elevation or if the device gives a “plays like” distance?

Yeah if you use it in competition play.
You cant use the function that gives you an elevation adjusted distance, whether its called slope, or plays like etc.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't pay extra for something I couldn't use all the time (i.e. including competitions) personally. And as said above, aren't we all aware that you add a club if you're going uphill etc?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I wouldn't pay extra for something I couldn't use all the time (i.e. including competitions) personally. And as said above, aren't we all aware that you add a club if you're going uphill etc?

I would be intrested to know what the actual calculated distance is as opposed to my usual 1 extra club rule.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yes, but i think i've used the slope function twice. i have the type where you change the plates at the front to use the slope i think the newer model just has a switch.

Nairn isn't hilly, just one hole where its 20 yards diff.

mine is the Bushnell tour X

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went through the same dilemma. In the end I got the standard. A guy got disqualified the week before, so I eliminated the chance for me.
Will be interesting if your playing in a handicap or supplementary round whether people notice the slope is on ?? Suggest opportunity to use it is probably going to get less and less

D

Deleted member 1147

Don’t own one myself but is the illegal bit measuring the elevation or if the device gives a “plays like” distance?

The slope function gives you the "plays like" distance. It is illegal for competition play, but can be turned off.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have one and have found it useful. My course is flat so I used it a few times and now know what the adjustments are.

I bought one of the Boblov rangefinders so wasn't a case of choosing the difference in price. I would certainly get more use if playing away on a bounce game or if my home course was more hilly like my last place.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Handy for certain.

I think most have a decent understanding of slope effect on their club, however during practice rounds I always have it on and make a mental note of the additional / reduced yardage certain holes play generally.

Mine mainly gets used for practice rounds at other courses prior to matchplay or comps etc.

I do wonder how many people don't bother to turn it off though assuming nobody will check.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Bushnell XE . It’s very nice but very expensive .
I ordered a cheaper one but they had no stock so they gave me this instead.
Slope adjusted distances are a good/ bad thing imo.
They often adjust the yardage to exactly in between clubs for me.
So putting dought in my mind ,
It gives you a yardage then a slope adjusted yardage according to the percentage of hill.
It uses an algorithm to work it out ( over my head how)
But if you have total control over your yardages great, if not it’s a waste of time.
If you play a course with very large hills it might be worth it .
But my honest opinion is it’s not.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Begs the question who grassed him up or how did the powers that be find out
I have no idea, but the rules are the rules and yeah it may seem harsh to apply them but that’s what it is. I could imagine me just pressing the button and it being on, and it would be on a level hole as well! So didn’t take the risk.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have no idea, but the rules are the rules and yeah it may seem harsh to apply them but that’s what it is. I could imagine me just pressing the button and it being on, and it would be on a level hole as well! So didn’t take the risk.

I agree that rules is rules and the player has a responsibility to ensure it's off and not used. However as they are carried individually I don't understand how anyone would know and with the best the will in the will I doubt the player will have seen it on, realised it was illegal and dumped himself in. Would be reassuring if true but doubt it

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree that rules is rules and the player has a responsibility to ensure it's off and not used. However as they are carried individually I don't understand how anyone would know and with the best the will in the will I doubt the player will have seen it on, realised it was illegal and dumped himself in. Would be reassuring if true but doubt it
Probably lent it to a mate ? or gave him the yardage plus adjustment... can you imagine the conversation “my watch says 153 to middle” , “ laser says 165 due to slope..... oh “

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got a Bushnell Your v4. I think I've used the slope function in 3 practice rounds in the 4 years (?) that I've owned it. Not sure I can remember how I turn he slope function back on!!!

Visit site
I've got or had the v4 slope until it decided the battery holder screw in unit broke. Cant be fixed so getting the new v5 shift. I bought it for practise rounds at courses that have undulations if playing comps the following day. I then use that to write into yardage book (+/- 8), my course is relatively flat with the biggest change in elevation is 5 yd max. So not much difference really, but I forgot to turn it off in a winter medal once and tbh the only number I took notice of was the main number and not the adjusted slope number. Made no difference as I shot a crap score that day, it wasn't until i played couple days later that i realised i hadn't switched it off . ?