Las Ramblas and Villamartin....

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Folks, any played here recently? Are they any good? What is the surrounding area like?

Views appreciated.... My sister has her eye on buying an apartment on one or other of these courses....wanted some views on the courses and rentability of a property to golfers.

I'm sure if she buys it'll be "mates rates!"

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played there last year, both very busy , time of year but both showing severe signs of wear. Tee boxes at Villamartin particularly bad.

Las Ramblas is one of those courses you love or hate.

Our best experience was Los Colinas, 20 mins from apartment, more pricey but worth it.

Villamartin in MHO is very British, so could be goer if that's your bag.

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
Folks, any played here recently? Are they any good? What is the surrounding area like?

Views appreciated.... My sister has her eye on buying an apartment on one or other of these courses....wanted some views on the courses and rentability of a property to golfers.

I'm sure if she buys it'll be "mates rates!"

we go every year. We were in the plaza when kaymer knocked that put in for the ryder cup. It was mental.

Villamartin, not rated it much in the past but have to say it played well this year (july) Las colinas is THE stand out course in the area and has to be played every year.

Playa la finca is about 20 mins away and is an excellent course. Las ramblas notoriously difficult. Lo romero (about 15 mins) has a fantastic closing hole (par 4 with an island green) but didn't play too well this year.

Loads of courses in the area, los colinas and la finca are must plays. The villamartin plaza is great at night, best steakhouse i have ever been in, and great bars. Great for breakfast in the morning at munchies. Playa flamenca and caba roy (scala?) are also a short cab ride away for more bars and restaurants.

I would imagine any property is well rentable in the area

we are back in april next year and also for the ryder cup.

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
had a place 5 mins from both which have just sold after 11 years.

good time to buy, enquiries/interest up 100% on last few years according to all the estate agents but still such an over supply of properties that still very much a buyers market, prices are only going to go one way from where they are now but will be a slow process.

area has really benefitted from the opening of la zenia boulevard which is a westfield/bluewater style shopping centre with restaurants etc 5 mins away. area becoming really popular with the scandinavians for some reason, loads of scandinavian companies building modern style apartments, lots of scandinavian stores and they have just opened a school.

billy has covered villamartin plaza and there is also similar number of bars/restaurants at la fuente which is even closer.

billy has also pretty much covered the golf, villamartin/las ramblas/campoamor within 5 mins of each other and another eight or so courses within 30 drive.

never rented my place out so not an expert on the subject. would think that it is very possible to make a few quid depending on the property but wouldn't be easy money, would take a bit of effort marketing etc as there is so many properties in the area competing.

hope this helps.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Las Ramblas last week. Wouldn't go back in peak season. In fact I don't think I'd go back at all. Tee boxes were a mess, took over 5 hours for a 3 ball with 2 buggies. Waited 10 mins on each shot.

Ironically, a member who was in the queue on the 1st tee (yes there was a queue on the 1st tee) said "This course is too difficult for some people. People with high handicaps shouldn't be allowed to play here.". He was playing with a group who just could not hit the ball. Drives were going less than 100 yards. It was a painful round. Although saying that, the group ahead were STILL being held up by the sheer volume of golfers.

On the 14th / 15th (a par 3) there was a nice girl from Liverpool with a stand for the old 'Hit the green win a sleeve of balls, hole in one for £1000' and she was telling us in our long wait that the Spanish owners simply fill in the 9 minute tee times then proceed to fill in tee times in between those 9 minute gaps rather than turn anyone away.

It was truly horrible, and although I shot a decent score (2 or 3 over handicap) the long wait just made the day un enjoyable.

Can't say I've played Villamartin for a long time, but there are some great courses in a 30 minute(ish) drive. The IRM Nike courses (formally Polaris World) are good, my parents have a place on the "Saurines" (the desert) course. Worth exploring if you're getting a few cheap holidays out there!