Laptop and Mobile broadband??

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Okay troops a wee bit of help needed here. My computers done too many rounds and I’m thinking of a laptop. I don’t want one of these free with something deals, just a reasonable laptop for browsing, e-mail, photos and the like. Nothing fancy maybe around the £400 mark. I’m also thinking of Mobile broadband as I’m in a bad exchange area anyway so my landline broadband is slow anyway.

Anyone with mobile broadband, what provider are you with, any tips, any bloody good.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest they are all a much of a muchness, its all down to who gives the best signal where you will be located, you can have the sim for the mobile BB either in a usb stick which you just plug in and install the software, or it will fit into a little sim slot under the laptop ususally in with the battery compartment. We have mostly used Vodafone and when its in range its grand.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a Acer provided by work found it to be good on the battery front and wi-fi side of things so went and bought the Mrs the same one.Just one tip pay the extra dont go for vista basic's

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
I use Vodafone mobile broadband for work and it's (usually)great. Tends to lose the signal if you sit inside a metal box though which is a bit of a disadvantage if you work out of portacabins on building sites. :(

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have 3 mobile broadband and it is excellent considering i live on the outskirts of a city. I have herd that it is less good in more rural areas which i could believe as my mobile sometimes suffers from the same thing. You say you don't want a free with something deals but it is well worth going into pc world and telling them you want to sign up for mobile broadband because you can then save around £100 on whatever laptop you want, when you sign up of course. It is probably worth thinking about what type of mobile broadband you want as well pay as you go or monthly payments. Good luck.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have a USB dongle for our holiday lap top. It is fine (probably on 3). If you are going to use it local to where you live (ie:at home), go for the one with the best coverage in your area, as the speed of download is very signal dependant.

Laptop wise we have a Sony Vaio, an Acer (8" screen note book - useful for holidays) and a Dell. Nothing wrong with any of these provided you run Windows XP not Vista.

moamoamoamoa

Hacker
Visit site
I'd recommend you look at the offers in Staples as they normally have good quality spec laptops for around the price you are looking to pay. If no good for you then I would say Dell or HP due to the build quality. We use Vodafone mobile broadband at work and they are lighting fast so would suggest you look at these. Remember that you're using the same network mobile telephones use so if you have a Vodafone mobile phone and the coverage is poor, then so will the mobile broadband.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
moamoamoamoa, can't resist this!

a moa was a very big bird.
following the logic of a lot of languages does moamoamoamoa mean flock of very big birds?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Tosibha satellite. For £400 quid you could pick one of these up with a 200gb hard drive 2 gb of ram and decent spec through out. Steer clear of Vista and dont be bought by all the new 'face recognition' and 'fingerprint scanners' bullfish. They are pointless.

Dont overlook refurbs too, mine is a refurb. I got it from the Toshiba outlet where I work 12 months ago. I payed £450 the next day I spotted the same laptop in comet for just under £800.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Okay just to update you guys on my computer upgrade situation. I decided on a HP G7045 laptop with dual core thingymabobs, 160 Ryans hard drive, 2 Ryans of memory, and Vista premium. All in all it’s good so far.

Now the downside, mobile broadband is $hite....in my area anyway. Unless you are desperate don’t get it. I signed a 12 month contract and I took it back to PC world after 3 days. The signal varies and sometimes I was cut off once and at other times it was hard to connect. Good idea, but it’s got a long way to go in order to compete with home broadband. Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t expecting miracles but it just wasn’t up to the job and the new hyperspeed laptop made the thing look worse.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I took it back to PC world after 3 days. The signal varies and sometimes I was cut off once and at other times it was hard to connect. Good idea, but it’s got a long way to go in order to compete with home broadband. Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t expecting miracles but it just wasn’t up to the job and the new hyperspeed laptop made the thing look worse.

Did you get out of the contract then?
Sorry to hear about this, thanks for bringing it up....I've been thinking about it, so your post is timely.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I bought a 3 mobile broad band as I am a part time student and thoought it would be handy to catch work up when travelling on the train etc. Unwrapped it plugged it in and no signal - signal went up and then totally dropped. No good - sticking with home BB - Pity as I was willing to get a few dongles.

Have to take it back but they will probably not give me my money back.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you're on T-mobile and haven't already, you will probably be getting called as they are pushing 'free' dongles - provided you sign up to a contract of course.
waste of time for me - haven't got a laptop.