Land Registry Question

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our property documents are very confusing:-

The June 1991 documents show "(11 November 1987) The Freehold land is shown edged with red.........." (previous owners)

But Land registry document dated June 1996 show LEASEHOLD land blah blah......"lease comprises also of" xxxxxxxx (next door)

Then April 2004 documents CHXXXXXXX (ours) Freehold of our property is ours BUT also another Land registry document CHXXXXXXX (different) to our freehold document shows the our property being Leasehold but comprising of next door.

Good eh? Has anyone got a clue of what the heck is going on? I cannot remember what our solicitor said at the time, apart from she'd never seen this before.

I've looked everywhere on the net for an answer and can find nothing. I am aware I can get the documents from the Land Registry UK, but what's the point in getting a copy of what I have.

Anyone think our "Freehold" will comprise of next door?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably how this goes The original land was freehold (1991), buildings were then placed on the land but the buildings and land they were on were leasehold (1996) .

The other two documents you have to go buy date order on the documents and the conveyance there were part of and the one. My presumption would be that the 'other' document specifies the original situation in the conveyance and the 2004 Document specifies the situation after the conveyance has taken place.

Would also be nice if you had the conveyance that goes with some documents eg the one for 2004 where the freehold was sold by the landlord.

The Land Registry may well have these as well as the drawings.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to Land Registry one of the problems is when the area you live in 'formed ' part of it.
E.G Where I live I moved in 1986 and at that time there was no land registry for this area.

The first time my property appeared on land registry files was when I first registered it in 2001. Although I have all the appropriate Title deeds going back to 1920 these were never given to the Land Registry only a copy of the conveyance to Mrs and me in 1986 with the appropriate drawing for that conveyance as I felt that was all they needed for me to prove Title.

It could well be that your property was first registered in 1987 and the LR only has the documents from that date forward.

As previously said I would expect them to have copies of any subsequent conveyance as proof of Change of Title.

You can get details of search charges etc here
https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/copies-of-deeds

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just checked online. Next doors is freehold, but ours shows as freehold AND leasehold.:unsure: What is going on? I'm going to get next door details tomorrow. This is gonna be interesting.