Lagging

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Struggling to get my long putts close. Either short or well past leaving me with a FISM (fxxx its still me) rest of my game is coming on a treat, tee to green is really good.

For me, the use of the word "lagging putts" is an immediate red alert. I do not believe in lag putting and try to hole everything. Ok sometimes you have to edge of the side of caution, but I will still have a run at it.

I am of the mindset that if you try and hole it and you miss by 2' then you have a 2' tap in. If you try and lag it within 3' and get it wrong by 2' you now have a 5' knee trembler to save par.

For me the worse case scenario is this. If you have a go for a 20' putt and knock it past, as long as your read was pretty good you will see the ball travel past the hole. Because of this you now know the line coming back.

I'm pretty solid with a putter and very rarely 3 putt using this attitude. Also it is not uncommon for me to hole a long one or two in a round either.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, the use of the word "lagging putts" is an immediate red alert. I do not believe in lag putting and try to hole everything. Ok sometimes you have to edge of the side of caution, but I will still have a run at it.

I am of the mindset that if you try and hole it and you miss by 2' then you have a 2' tap in. If you try and lag it within 3' and get it wrong by 2' you now have a 5' knee trembler to save par.

For me the worse case scenario is this. If you have a go for a 20' putt and knock it past, as long as your read was pretty good you will see the ball travel past the hole. Because of this you now know the line coming back.

I'm pretty solid with a putter and very rarely 3 putt using this attitude. Also it is not uncommon for me to hole a long one or two in a round either.

excellent post.

It is all firmly in the mind for putting

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, it winds me up when someone says "good lag" after I've left a long putt 3 feet short.

I always aim for the hole as I don't see the point of aiming to miss.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okay, naming it lagg putting may be setting up for an early failure. But lets be realists, we'd rather have a 3ft putt after a 30ft putt, rather than a return 5-10ft because we made sure we got it to the hole on the first go.
Take your chances when they come and take that long 2 putt par when it inevitably arrives.

With regards to lagg putting, when far out from the hole, I try to make sure my pace is right and don't look at the break so much. I'm not the best at lagg putting but hole my fair share of 15ft+ putts with just making sure my pace is good.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, naming it lagg putting may be setting up for an early failure. But lets be realists, we'd rather have a 3ft putt after a 30ft putt, rather than a return 5-10ft because we made sure we got it to the hole on the first go.
Take your chances when they come and take that long 2 putt par when it inevitably arrives.

With regards to lagg putting, when far out from the hole, I try to make sure my pace is right and don't look at the break so much. I'm not the best at lagg putting but hole my fair share of 15ft+ putts with just making sure my pace is good.

But by making sure the pace is good you are aiming at the hole not an area around it. You sound like your putting is similar to mine, with respects to your get it to the hole, so you make 1 or 2 long putts around more often than not.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Struggling to get my long putts close. Either short or well past leaving me with a FISM (fxxx its still me) rest of my game is coming on a treat, tee to green is really good.

Sounds like you need to work on distance control. Try some drills aimed at helping that area.

As for lagging debate doesn't broadie argue the goal should be to minimise the number of putts taken, not to minimise the number of putts left short or to avoid 3 putts.
He suggests having your target beyond the hole for shorter putts and at the hole for longer putts. He suggests pros adopt these 2 different strategies from analysing data of missed putts.

dougajmcdonald

Club Champion
www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
I would recommend focusing on distance control by visualising the power needed to hit the ball there without worrying about line.

Personally I look at the hole / flag and swing a few times to try to get a feel in my body for what kind of power is needed, then I line it up and go for it.

If you were asked to roll the ball by hand to the hole you'd get very close, to perhaps try to get that kind of 'feel' for the distance and remember than feel when you introduce a direction.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Need to work on repeatidly finding the middle of the clubface. Once you can get the long ones out the middle pace judgement naturally becomes easier.

The problem with most distance putts is not finding the middle of the face and the ball comes off differently each time, therefore pace judgement becomes very difficult.

Work on finding the middle first and the rest should come in to place much quicker.

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Need to work on repeatidly finding the middle of the clubface. Once you can get the long ones out the middle pace judgement naturally becomes easier.

The problem with most distance putts is not finding the middle of the face and the ball comes off differently each time, therefore pace judgement becomes very difficult.

Work on finding the middle first and the rest should come in to place much quicker.

Top advice that 👍

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get a V-EASY and learn the correct technique. Was playing with a mid handicapper today who's mid-long range putting was very inconsistent. Went on the practice green with him for 10 mins using my V-EASY and the difference in his distance control was like night and day.

like Scienceboy said, you need a repeated stroke to be good at distance control.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Get a V-EASY and learn the correct technique. Was playing with a mid handicapper today who's mid-long range putting was very inconsistent. Went on the practice green with him for 10 mins using my V-EASY and the difference in his distance control was like night and day.

like Scienceboy said, you need a repeated stroke to be good at distance control.

Keep spreading the word brother :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hea a surgeon so can afford it. Give me an actual price delivered because ethe yanks love their practice Aids.

The cost would be $53 but I rounded it down. If he's loaded, he can pay $53 :)
Next time you see him, ask him to email me at bobmcarthur.co.uk and I'll get one to him.