Lag putting woes

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
My lag putting is seriously shocking.

I'd say out of 10 attempts, I can get it to within 6ft once, *maybe* twice and it's usually short. I know this means I probably just need to hit it a bit harder but can someone recommend me some drills for improving my lag putting "feel".

Tomorrow should be fun then

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your options are...

Play on faster greens
Aim 6 foot past the hole
Dont leave yourself so far away in the first place

:D

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
My lag putting is seriously shocking.

I'd say out of 10 attempts, I can get it to within 6ft once, *maybe* twice and it's usually short. I know this means I probably just need to hit it a bit harder but can someone recommend me some drills for improving my lag putting "feel".

Tomorrow should be fun then

Assuming you are striking the ball consistently ok, perhaps there's a fear of racing the ball past the hole, leading to a deceleration at impact and short putts?? This may explain the lack of feel.

A good tip to get the feel back is to simply use your hand to gently underarm throw some balls towards the hole. The idea is to use your brain's natural capacity to know how hard to throw it. This clarity of thought should be the same for lag putting, leading to a good firm acceleration in the stroke.

Alternatively, you could adopt a mechanical approach, similar to the clock method for swings. E.g. On the backstroke, hands reach the right knee, means a distance of 15 yards, and so on.

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Aztec

Having suffered a similar problem, I read the GM magazine recently and in there was a putting guide within. Some really useful info for lag putting that I have found that works is to not follow the immediate path of the ball. In other words, keep your head pointing down to ground in from of you once the putter has made contact with the ball and keep it there for a second or two.
The rationale for it is that it makes you much more likely to commit to the putt and not decelerate.

Good luck

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why don't you try to not hit like a fanny then! :D

Seriously though I totally sympathise with you. My putting is crap when it comes to lag putting.
I think it's just a confidence thing.

Spend time on the putting greens and practise hard.

Just thought of something actually. I remember seeing a Scott Cranfield YouTube video last year about putting. What he recommends to help with feel and confidence is practise your lag putting but don't look where the ball goes and keep looking down to the ground. Then ask yourself (in your head unless you want people to talk about you!) where do you think it went in relation to the hole?? How did it feel? Did it feel short, feel long, feel left, right etc.
He says it really helps with feel and that's what it's all about.

It worked last year for me, and it's something I'll try again this week actually.

Good luck with it mate. :)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try not looking at the ball when your practicing..

By that i mean have a quick check but then look at the hole while your making the stroke..You'll get a feel for the distance pretty quick and focus more on the stroke also.
Also find a straightish putt to start with...

Oh and with the really long putts try breaking the wrists just a little.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why don't you try to not hit like a fanny then! :D

As Rick, Pokerjoke, tim and PNW will attest, I was putting like a proper fanny at Beau! :eek:

Cheers for the tips though (and everyone else). Will head down the club earlier this weekend and spend half an hour on some lag putting drills.

Putting styles are as individual as handwriting- best advice and lesson I got was from instinctive golf............

Remember what happens when you miss that 15 footer by miles and you had spent ages lining it up etc? Normally you take it back and don't line it up etc all you do is point and shoot and you usually can it or very close? THAT'S instinctive golf.......
Putting well on the practice putting green then badly on the course? You don't spend ages lining up on the practice green, you just look, aim and fire and your brain did all the calculations instinctively............

Try it next bounce game, you'll be pleasantly surprised

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Putting styles are as individual as handwriting- best advice and lesson I got was from instinctive golf............

Remember what happens when you miss that 15 footer by miles and you had spent ages lining it up etc? Normally you take it back and don't line it up etc all you do is point and shoot and you usually can it or very close? THAT'S instinctive golf.......
Putting well on the practice putting green then badly on the course? You don't spend ages lining up on the practice green, you just look, aim and fire and your brain did all the calculations instinctively............

I'm going down the club later and I might try this one... I'll try anything once! ;)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm going down the club later and I might try this one... I'll try anything once! ;)

This is exactly what I do now. When I started playing again I used to line it up and take practice putts etc. Now I have a quick look for the line, from behind the marker, line the ball up and have no practice swings. If you just look at the hole over the putt you "know" how far to hit it. Practice putts got me right out of that and I was really inconsistent for distance.

Have seen a marked improvement over the last few months with my putting this way.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tried a few of these suggestions on Sunday during my round with the Sunday club...And they *kind of* worked.

Half the time my alignment was all wrong but the weight of the putts was good but I felt more comfortable being instinctive with the distance of the putts and managed to get most of them closer than I have been.

I'll stick with it and see how it goes.

Cheers fellas :)