Lag Putting - Missing right

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
This cropped up at the weekend, more than once, and just though I'd putt (... See what I did there :D ) it to the forum for a little advice.

At the weekend, on 3 occasions, I hit long par 4's in 2. The problem was I was 30ft-40ft from the hole.

After reading the greens and seeing them as pretty flat (Some minor breaks but nothing drastic) proceeded to try and lag the ball up close.

On every occasion the ball was starting to the right of my intended line and, obviously, finishing right of the hole.

It didn't really cost me any shots as my pace control was pretty good and was usually within 3ft.

I didn't miss a putt inside 3ft the whole round.

My intermediate distance putts (10ft-15ft) all had a chance to go in and were struck online.

I only really suffered directionally when putting over a bigger distance as per above.

I'm pretty sure my alignment was OK as I usually line up against a mark/patch/different colour piece of grass on the green.

Is there anything you good people can think of in my stroke that may cause this consistent miss to the right when lagging a putt?

Any advise, as always, appreciated :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
You're putting to 3ft from 30-40ft consistent and you think you're doing something wrong!!!????

To be blunt, yes :D

If you imagine my line to the hole on a clock face call it 12 o'clock. The ball is starting to 1 o'clock.

I take, and accept your point about being within 3ft-4ft more often than not, however I feel I could get closer still if I could start the ball on a better line.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're putting to 3ft from 30-40ft consistent and you think you're doing something wrong!!!????

And then didn't miss. I think perhaps you are beating your self up to much.

One for the techies but maybe the extra force you put into the putt for longer distances is causing you to push it right wereas for the shorter putts the stroke remains smooth and accurate. I will follow the thread as I do a similar thing. In my case it also applies to the 10-15 ft putts you also make so my issues are more fundamental.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
And then didn't miss. I think perhaps you are beating your self up to much.

Quite possibly and again I would agree.

My main concern is why, on longer putts, can I not get them started on line?

I have no issue closer in, but when putts need to be rolled a greater distance the ball 9 times out of 10, starts right of my aim.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To be blunt, yes :D

If you imagine my line to the hole on a clock face call it 12 o'clock. The ball is starting to 1 o'clock.

I take, and accept your point about being within 3ft-4ft more often than not, however I feel I could get closer still if I could start the ball on a better line.

But it's a lag putt, lag putts are more about weight than line. If you are trying to hole it then thats a different kettle of fish altogether.

To add though, the harder you are trying to hit the ball the more chance you have of it going off line anyway.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
But it's a lag putt, lag putts are more about weight than line. If you are trying to hole it then thats a different kettle of fish altogether.

That bit I get and have no issue with. As I say my distance control is fine.

On the greens where I was missing to the right, they were pretty flat with only subtle break, nothing drastic at all.

It's the ball starting right off the putter face that is my concern.

To add though, the harder you are trying to hit the ball the more chance you have of it going off line anyway.

Possibly.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can only really be alignment or the clubface is slightly open at impact and youre only seeing the impact of this over the longer putts.

Would find a flat putt on the putting green, use a bit of string for the first 6ft or so of the putt and then hit putts down the line. That will sort the alignment and you can check on the clubface if youre still missing right

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As already said, I'd guess it's because you're giving it more of a hit than a stroke.

Unless you already do, I'd suggest keeping the same tempo but use a longer backswing.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I should add Gareth, if you aim at the middle of the cup from 3" and it goes in on or near the edge rather than the centre more often than not then if you multiply that distance by 10 then you multiply your miss by 10, so being on the edge of the cup (2" approx) from 3ft then from 30 or 40 foot you will be a 20" + miss even with the right weight.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As already said, I'd guess it's because you're giving it more of a hit than a stroke.

Unless you already do, I'd suggest keeping the same tempo but use a longer backswing.

:thup:

I'll give it a nudge.

I should add Gareth, if you aim at the middle of the cup from 3" and it goes in on or near the edge rather than the centre more often than not then if you multiply that distance by 10 then you multiply your miss by 10, so being on the edge of the cup (2" approx) from 3ft then from 30 or 40 foot you will be a 20" + miss even with the right weight.

Totally agree.

As I said above, the ball is moving right, straight off the putter blade.

From my point of view. What's the point in taking the time to read the break of the green and determine the pace required if I'm only going to knock it straight right off the face?

I think Gary has hit the nail on the head and I may be hitting a putt from distance rather than taking a longer stroke.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, when you have a long putt have you ever tried putting to the left? Accepting that you hit to the right slightly on longer putts you could balance this out by picturing the hole to the left and factoring the fault in. I know it is not the long term answer but perhaps worth a go.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have the answer as would have thought trying to hit it would close the face...but...I never lag putt and hadn't really thought about it until now. I try and hole everything...surely trying to hole it has the best chance of getting it close (if not in)?

Am I missing something...

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On every occasion the ball was starting to the right of my intended line and, obviously, finishing right of the hole.

My intermediate distance putts (10ft-15ft) all had a chance to go in and were struck online.

I only really suffered directionally when putting over a bigger distance as per above.

I'm pretty sure my alignment was OK as I usually line up against a mark/patch/different colour piece of grass on the green.

Is there anything you good people can think of in my stroke that may cause this consistent miss to the right when lagging a putt?

Any advise, as always, appreciated :thup:

always difficult to say with any certainty not seeing the stroke.

what could be giving the issue (if not alignment, ball position, lateral movement) also depends as to how you see the putting technique - putter head moved on a straight line - putter head moved on an arc - what is the engine to the putters movement?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
{the following to do with the putting motion being a movement of the putter head on an arc - any folks ethos of putting being - straight back - straight through - good luck with that ..... especially with putts over 10' ....... :) }

often times blocked/pushed putts - {if that's what is happening & it's nothing to do with alignment or ball position} - occur because the putter head has been stopped by something in the stroke from releasing naturally through impact. (something over time Stricker has helped TW with)

good exercise to see what's happening is to put a tee in the butt end of the putter handle.

at address with a vertical shaft the tee will point pretty much to your center around the belly button - object of a good stroke is to return the putter head/shaft/handle/hands so they are all in pretty much the same vertical alignment at impact.

directly after impact (but without any breakdown of the back of left hand angle to the left arm) the putter head should be nearer to the target than the hands, the left shoulder will have continued to move away from the chin & not 'stopped' - this is what a released putter head is - if all this has happened then the tee will still be pointing in the direction to your center plus the upper left arm, upper right arm will still be in contact with your chest walls.
so indicating a connected 'swing' through impact.

if there's been a 'hit at' or 'hit through' with the arms/hands in a way to generate the distance, the left upper arm will have moved away & separated some from the chest wall & the hands will have stayed ahead of the putter head through the strike & the tee will be pointing more directly up the left arm towards the left armpit.
meaning the putter head won't have naturally released through the strike so will not have been able to 'square up' but will have stayed open to the line of the putt, so blocking/pushing the ball to start right of the target line at impact.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you sure this is a problem and not must something that happened a few times in one round?

Hit 20 on the practice green to find out!