Lag Putting - Missing right

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My long putting has improved since I started letting the right hand get more involved in the downswing. Hard to describe but when you're swinging a bit harder you can leave the toe of the putter a bit behind. Feel as if your really guiding the putter back to the ball with a firm right hand.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Are you sure this is a problem and not must something that happened a few times in one round?

Hit 20 on the practice green to find out!

It's not the case of 'just a few holes' Gary. It's an on going issue I have.

Normally I'm not too bothered as I'm generally pretty good for speed and don't leave anything too awkward.

However, after my last round, rather than accepting it, I've decided to try and correct it. As I said earlier in the thread.

What the point of reading the break of a putt and judging the pace if it's only going to shoot to the right off the face?

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems a bit strange alright. Have you tried getting your read then putting to hit a mark just two feet in front of yourself. This should keep you in line. Focused more on a close target rather than a hole at the end of a long imaginary line.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Seems a bit strange alright. Have you tried getting your read then putting to hit a mark just two feet in front of yourself. This should keep you in line. Focused more on a close target rather than a hole at the end of a long imaginary line.

No I haven't if I'm being honest.

I normally pick a point, roughly, half way between the ball and hole. I'll give this a nudge :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No I haven't if I'm being honest.

I normally pick a point, roughly, half way between the ball and hole. I'll give this a nudge :thup:

It will give you near instant feed back if you have actually hit the ball on your intended line or not. Also as I said, a finer target focus.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Well, that eliminates one cause.
Without seeing the stroke it's a bit of a guess but.........

Some people have a comfortable length of backswing.
They use it for all putts, short, medium and long.
Some are aware of this and work hard at shortening the backswing for the short putts but neglect to lengthen it for the longer putts.
The result is a short swing for short putts, medium swing for medium putts and a medium swing with a hit for the longer ones.
Try making the backswing a little longer, keeping a good tempo and see if that helps you start the ball on line better