Ladybank

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I played it a few years ago, a friend is a member and I played as a guest, the cost was so unbelievably cheap compared to a similar course in England, you guys up there are so lucky with the cost of your golf. the whole day was fantastic.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played it a few years ago, a friend is a member and I played as a guest, the cost was so unbelievably cheap compared to a similar course in England, you guys up there are so lucky with the cost of your golf. the whole day was fantastic.
Alas green fee costs have increased dramatically in the last few years, even member sign ons.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah, and I did think that as I posted it. Sorry, fella.
It's the total disparity between the green fees. Down south you high sign ons as the membership costs are high but so are the membership costs, most championship courses up here now are sky rocketing. When I joined it was £8 to sign a guest on at Nairn, its now £25, but that's because lots 9f country members are muddying the waters by telling the club I'd we were on the south coast of England we would be 3 times out member fee.. the main point is we aren't 😂😉

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
But you live in the SE, our sign on has doubled in the last few years, it might be great value in the SE of England., but It's not in Scotland.

I totally understand what you are saying but my point was comparing it to the costs we have to pay in England.

The twenty quid Need my Wedge quotes is nothing, we are paying that pay & play not a championship course.

I agree visitor fees have increased dramatically recently, If I recall correctly Nairn was £75 when I looked last year, I think most of the Scottish courses are trying to make back the away months visitor fees they lost in 2020.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a huge difference between Visitor fees and Introduced Guest Fees. Our visitor fees for Rosemount and Lansdowne is £120, but £20 for introduced guests. Americans will generally not play courses whose fees are under £100 as they consider them not good enough.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I totally understand what you are saying but my point was comparing it to the costs we have to pay in England.

The twenty quid Need my Wedge quotes is nothing, we are paying that pay & play not a championship course.

I agree visitor fees have increased dramatically recently, If I recall correctly Nairn was £75 when I looked last year, I think most of the Scottish courses are trying to make back the away months visitor fees they lost in 2020.
When was that for, we've been £199 for a couple of years now, even shoulder season it's £135.

gopher99

Visit site
Ladybank is one of my favourite courses in the world, we played there last year and finished around 8-9pm and the chef and the bar staff stayed around so we could eat and have a beer after our round.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
There is a huge difference between Visitor fees and Introduced Guest Fees. Our visitor fees for Rosemount and Lansdowne is £120, but £20 for introduced guests. Americans will generally not play courses whose fees are under £100 as they consider them not good enough.

Yes, I fully understand that, all I was originally trying to point out was that there is no way in England, you would get on a course of the quality of Ladybank for £20.00 even if you were signed in, can we please move on now.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Ladybank is one of my favourite courses in the world, we played there last year and finished around 8-9pm and the chef and the bar staff stayed around so we could eat and have a beer after our round.

When I joined last month, I went into the bar to collect my membership pack on a Sunday afternoon. Asked the girl what time she was closing, answer was “when everyone comes in from the course”.

We were the last scheduled pair to go off, and she was there waiting for us when we got back.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes sorry. the price I quoted was for Nairn Dunbar, Nairn I think I had to sit down when I saw the price and swiftly looked for alternatives.
Yep pretty eye watering, you should have pmd me I'd have got you on😉
Alas it the American influence, unless it's over priced they are not interested, probably explains why they all think Kingsbarns is so good at well over £300. Dornoch already had filled 2023 tee times last year they are well over £200 now

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Ooh, I may hold you to that, I visit Elgin annually meeting up with friends from St. Andrews, so know about the prices, last year me and my son-in-law were looking for somewhere to play Saturday morning before we met up (played an open at Forres), unfortunately I am unable to go this year.