Lack of driver distance

Grazza80

Visit site
I hit a consistent 7 iron about 155 with roll so I’m not a long hitter. My problem is that I only ever hit my driver around 185 even with a good strike which seems short relative to the 7 iron? Any tips to maximise driver distance? I don’t feel I need a huge amount extra but would think I should be able to hit it at least 200-220? Any tips appreciated!

User20204

Visit site
Check your tee height and angle of attack if possible, you'd be surprised how much further you can hit it if you hit it on the up compared to a negative AoA

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hit a consistent 7 iron about 155 with roll so I’m not a long hitter. My problem is that I only ever hit my driver around 185 even with a good strike which seems short relative to the 7 iron? Any tips to maximise driver distance? I don’t feel I need a huge amount extra but would think I should be able to hit it at least 200-220? Any tips appreciated!
Welcome. I would suggest that 155 with a 7 iron is not short and 185 with a driver means somewhere your measurements are flawed. How far do you hit 6 iron upwards towards the big clubs? It may be that your drive isn't suited especially in terms of shaft or spin rates assuming you hit it reasonably straight. I would get on a launch monitor, get numbers for all your clubs and see how far you hit each and also your spin numbers. A good pro would be able to give you the advice you need and also pointers towards improving technique

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With these numbers I would say there’s something wrong with your driver.
My mate has a 95mph swing but +4 aoa.
Mine is 99mph but -3 aoa.
With his slower swing he is 25/30yds longer than me.
You need a track man to find out what’s going on then go from there.
It’s great to learn about this stuff but you need a good pro to put you in the correct club.

Grazza80

Visit site
I went to the range this afternoon and hit about 10 shots each with both the 7 iron and Driver (see pics below). Similar to what I posted above but was slicing the driver quite badly today! Doesn’t tend to go much further even if I hit it straight though...

21A649BA-A775-49AD-A2CC-643C271DF3B4.png573C8F43-9176-4EA8-A157-4A2ACC2ADB6A.png

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If that ball speed reflects a 'good strike', then you are not swinging fast enough!

130mph ball speed equates to an 86-87 mph swing speed (when struck perfectly). That's significantly less than what your 7-iron stats indicates (though I don't have the precise 7i ratio to hand)!

So either swing your driver faster or better!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for posting that data.

Looked at that way your 7i isn't as significantly ahead of your driver speeds/distances as your original post suggested. You are hitting it with a decent launch angle but little spin or speed (which is why you are seeing an (I assume) indicated roll out as high as you are.

Which all comes back to increasing your club head speed as Foxhole has posted, as your core focus.
Significant gains will also come from hitting the driver better; that slice will be costing distance.

Grazza80

Visit site
Thanks guys. I’m pretty new to golf so I think both swing speed and strike are an issue! For what it’s worth below is the average carry distance for all clubs. They are somewhat skewed because they are averages (I definitely hit a few duff shots with both the PW and 3 wood for example).

I guess the lack of swing speed explains why my 6 & 5 don’t carry much more than the 7? (although they do roll out a bit more)

I don’t have any proper trackman data. Booked myself in for a lesson at an indoor golf centre next week so hopefully will know more after that.

In the mean time any tips to improve swing speed would be greatly appreciated!

4214143D-4A51-43F5-8B08-3BE4FA4C1529.png

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH if you are new to golf i wouldn't get too caught up in how far you hit it, learn to play and as you get better, more consistent distance will come.

how old are you?

I know when i started (24 handicap) i only hit my 5 wood 150 yard carry and prob a 7 iron 120 ish, 13 years later i'm off 4 and that distance is now an 8 iron and i'm by no means a long hitter

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AS per Patricks

it is very simple really (even for a lot of long time players) the longer the club the harder it is to swing it properly. It is very common for beginners to level out their distances around the 6/7 iron point.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
AS per Patricks

it is very simple really (even for a lot of long time players) the longer the club the harder it is to swing it properly. It is very common for beginners to level out their distances around the 6/7 iron point.
Not just beginners!👍