Labour gets a kicking- why?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The local elections are showing a catastophic disaster mid-term.

If you had to reduce it to a single issue that might explain it, what would it be?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Noone likes Gordon Brown
He is an accountant with no personality and only seems to be taking more taxes and we are seeing nothing back

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe it's Gordon's personality. He really is so dull. BTW Brendy, I think Brown is an economist and not an accountant. Anyway, I was thinking until recently that the UK would never have a Tory govt. again in my lifetime.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
COST OF LIVING!!!!

plain and simple. Taxes increase, less value for money and we're penalised for everything. Big corporate bodies get richer and richer, just look at recent fuel company profits.

Gordon Brown was a thiefing chancellor and now he's got the keys to everything. we are all f*cked.

At least with the tories you knew they were going to shaft you.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Basically because everything is going to pot at the moment and people need someone to blame. Many of the problems are due to the global economy but people do not see the bigger picture and blame the man in charge. Does not help that Brown has always stood by his record on the economy and, though it may not be his fault that it is heading towards recession, people may not see that.

Am a staunch Tory anyway so not upset at the outcome.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a big political guy, but as most people voted for Tony Blair as a personality more than what the labour party stands for (which is not the party it started out as) I'd say "installing" a new prime minister without an election is tantamount to ignoring the democratic constitution. Now, they are paying the price. Labour are going down, regardless of all the spin they are now spouting.....
They sold out for the chance to get back in power and have done nothing to help the less fortunate in our society. Then again, we don't actually have any socially responsible political parties any more, it's not about changing the country (even in small ways), it's about personal and party survival.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
What next - religion?

But seriously. It's not surprising. Any Government that has been in power for a while will experiance at least one downturn in the economic cycle, and consequently lose popularity. Thank god the Bank Of England are controling our interest rates and not a politician.

Ultimately it doesn't matter who is in power at times like these, they will lose.

However, we have ben taxed, taxed and taxed again since Labour and Gordon Brown was placed as Chancellor. What goes around etc. Regardless of global economic plight, and to be honest I don't care about popularist personalities, Gordon Brown has squeezed as much out of the tax payer as possible to fund ever elaborate public sector expenditure in what must be the most mis-managed industry in the world. If we conducted ourselves in the private sector as those do in the public sector then we'd be out of business immediately. Unless of course you're a bank!!!!!

PS It's not a dig at those individuals that work in the public sector, but a boot up the ^(&* of the systematic mis-management and mis-use of funds, sorry our money.

I don't care about how much etc goes to the NHS, Police etc. I care more about it being used wisely and appropiately.

Sorry end of rant, but it would appear that there are people on here that understand more than sound-bites and photo-shoots, and therefore would approach the topic in somewhat more than a tabloid approach.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because they deserve it and its been a long time coming.
Because they're a bunch of arrogant b*****ds
Because they've done more damage to our population than Sadaam Hussain ever did (or could)
Because they still haven't worked out that <u>they</u> work for <u>us</u>; <u>we</u> pay <u>their</u> wages that they decide they will get and stuff anyone else

I don't think bailing out Northern Rock with our money has helped their cause, nor the fiasco over the 10p tax rate, plus their rapacious willingness to grasp more and more in fuel tax - funny how the big blunders have to do with the economy, Brown's supposed strong point (though the fact that Iraq and Afghanistan have no end in prospect don't help)

It would be interesting to see how the Labour vote went in the Garrison towns.

The_Squire

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't consider myself a political scholar but what I do know is this, I have had a 3 grand pay increase since I started the job I am in now back in 2000, I am taking home the same money at the end of the month as I did in 2000( increase in N.I.) Out of the take home pay I am spending more on essentials ie food, gas, electric, council tax, fuel, water.

I'm sure the Labour spin was Education, Education, Education not TAX, TAX, TAX. :mad:

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
The underlying problem exists because politicians are forever putting sticking plaster on social and economic problems; they are always thinking in the short term and trying to do the reactive thing - hence the reason things don't really get any better under successive governments. There, I said it. The reason I would always vote Tory is because you need strong leadership and not cotton wool micro-management. Hopefully, this batch of Tories will prove me right...

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
So, pretty much blue blood around here then?

But, how many of you fell for the 'Tony' spin originally? It seems strange that despite their first landslide general election victory, I've yet to meet anyone that's willing to admit that they 'turned' and voted Labour back then.

Ah well, they're all a bunch of selfish no-hopers anyway, or is it just the 'system' again? Someone's got to take resonsability for it, likr the rest of us do in the real world, (well some of us!)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
What really annoyed me about Brown, and I’ve basically been a labour supporter, he was on GMTV the other morning and when quizzed about the massive profits BP and the likes make he came out with that spiel about the investment they have to make. We usually hear that from the companies and now were getting it from Brown.

Are we all friggin daft…….this is billions in profit were talking about. Yes they’re investing millions every year and they’re making billions every year.

Energy companies are making millions off of peoples miseries and they have the cheek to try and sell the product on customer care. Yes, I know, they’re investing as well so need to make billions.

The banks don’t get me started. Only a short while ago they were tripping over each other to throw money at people. Credit card companies want people to trip up as they make a fortune on the late payers. Some companies lend money legitimately to the poorest of people at outrageous interest rates. A £300 loan and you pay back £500. Now, If Brown was taking steps to stop this clear rip off culture by the big companies then fine.

But he’s now talking business talk to the masses…………he has no chance now.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
TOMO21, if you look at the pie-chart of where the money goes in the litre of fuel why bash the fuel companies.

Of every £1 spent on petrol the oil company gets 16p, the retailer 8p, the government gets 67p and the distribution network gets 9p.

It is not the oil companies fault that fuel is so expensive. Blame the government.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Gordon Brown, don't get me started. Gordon Bennett more like!
I can't stand the characterless, boring, wobble gobbed, deceitful, lying, cheating, u-turning bloke.
He and his party are simply crippling the morale of the tax paying British public.

Don't these people listen to the general public? Saying that, do any mainstream politicians listen?
Fuel prices hiked again, do they care that we have the highest price per litre in Europe?

What other country treats illegal immigrants, economic migrants and asylum seekers better than it's own inhabitants?

We don't even call our country Great Britain anymore, preferring the name of UK.
This government has almost succeeded in battering any national pride out of its' countrymen. PC crap prevents us from practising free speech, we're now scared to offend other cultures, much to the detriment of our own cultures.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not a political person but certain aspects of it really get my goat!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
TOMO21, if you look at the pie-chart of where the money goes in the litre of fuel why bash the fuel companies.

Of every £1 spent on petrol the oil company gets 16p, the retailer 8p, the government gets 67p and the distribution network gets 9p.

It is not the oil companies fault that fuel is so expensive. Blame the government.

MWJ yes I’m aware of that and one thing for sure, if the conservatives get in they won’t cut fuel Tax.

My main point was his businessman like replies when asked about the profits the big multi national companies make.

That style of waffle just won't work on hard labour voters.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
It still brings a wry smile to my face when people still harp on about Labour being the working mans party.

Piffle!!!

Did anybody else clock the portfolio of property Tony Blair has amassed? His latest acquisition is a huge property that once belonged to Sir John Gielgud as I read in the Mail on Sunday.
He hasn't done bad for a working class Labour lad has he? Neither has his letter box mouthed dragon either!