Kuch Again! Cheapskate Confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What does it matter what was paid?
As a I said on the other thread, if I were the Mexican caddy, I wouldn’t want everyone knowing what I was paid just because of jealousy and personal safety.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Kuch probably agreed to pay the caddy $5000 before the tournament started, so even if he finished last then they caddy would still get $5000.

Guess the caddy accepted the fee, and it would of been nice if Kuch gave the caddy a little bonus for the win but he wasn't contractility obliged too.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So what do we do now?
Start a petition to get the caddy so more cash
Or
Accept that Kooch is a bit tight and move on because it's nothing to do with us...
Answers on a postcard....

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Who knows what the deal was.

Maybe the guy was offered a daily rate (i.e. 2 days if he misses the cut) with a bonus built in or a flat 5,000 wether he made the cut, finished top 10 or won the event.

Also, whether the guy was doing yardages, or giving lines (I suspect not) or was he just carrying the clubs and shooting the breeze, like any one of us could have done just as effectively.

The fact remains that whether he had been paid 3,000, 5,000 or a % of any prize - there are probably a few dozen guys lining up at the course who would have done it for the same or less with the same level of ability. America is a free market, so supply and demand rules.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Is Tom Gillis on a retainer or a % of any additional monies the Caddy gets? He has form for standing up for the 'wronged' (Daniel Berger / Ben Crane).

Anyway, Gillis public service announcements don't include how happy or unhappy the caddy is. So super rich golf pro is a cheapskate, or turns out is a dull but possibly decent guy.... http://together.pgatour.com/stories/18/september/matt-kuchar-presidents-cup-camp-twin-lakes.html

Either way, he hasn't changed my (non)opinion of him. On the other hand, had no opinion of Tom Gillis but now finding myself disliking him!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Either way, he hasn't changed my (non)opinion of him. On the other hand, had no opinion of Tom Gillis but now finding myself disliking him!

His arithmetic is terrible as well!

Either he can't see the difference between 0.0023% and 0.38% or he's happy to exaggerate for effect🤔

Wolf

Visit site
In the grand scheme of how the last thread went who actually cares.

Caddy agreed the amount he got paid more than he probably has ever earned..

Maybe if Tom Gillis spent more time on the range instead of in other people's business he'd still be playing tour golf and in a position to need a Caddy instead of trying to drag another pro down.

Someone offered me 5k for 5 days work walking round the course I'd say yes

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the only issue would be if he paid more than was agreed upfront as a win bonus, but the win bonus was trivial.

Eg $3k agreed upfront and he then threw in a win bonus of $2k.

That would seem tight. Whereas if $5k was agreed upfront and $5k was paid, then that’s the deal.

Even in the first scenario I can’t see it’s a big deal. Maybe he’s been a bit tight, so what?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I gave up bothering on the other thread. Could see where it was headed and circles are boring. Especially when you know you're right 😉

So many people were defending Kuch because that was the 'agreed' rate between the 2. The fact is, that even after the event the caddie didn't know how much he was going to get paid - nothing had been agreed. He knew about the 10% standard and hoped to be earning more than the player he was previously due to caddie for (who earnt $100k ish.) So it was never as black and white as some people claimed - the caddie obviously expected a significant amount that never came, which is likely how the story got out in the first place.

As I said previously, well known cheapskate and $5k (if true) is pathetic. Fully accept that 10% is the going rate for a tour caddie, but would expect 5% as a minimum really. Heck, 10% would have peen a good PR story for Kuch and he wouldnt have missed the change.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
His arithmetic is terrible as well!

Either he can't see the difference between 0.0023% and 0.38% or he's happy to exaggerate for effect🤔
He's definitely happy to exaggerate for added effect and I'm not a huge fan of his. Seems quitre happy to stir up a hornets nest, get the publicity and then move onto another target and thinkit's unprofessional to drag another pro down.

Whatever Kuchar paid the caddy is irrespective as long as it was an agreed rate. No-one on here can say with 100% certainty what that figure was, when the agreement was made etc and so it's all speculation at the end of the day

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Maybe if Tom Gillis spent more time on the range instead of in other people's business he'd still be playing tour golf and in a position to need a Caddy instead of trying to drag another pro down.

You evidently know nothing about him so that's a pretty pathetic dig.

He's doing just fine. 5 top 10s in 8 starts on the Champions Tour and over $500k earnings. And yes, he needs a caddy.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I gave up bothering on the other thread. Could see where it was headed and circles are boring. Especially when you know you're right 😉

So many people were defending Kuch because that was the 'agreed' rate between the 2. The fact is, that even after the event the caddie didn't know how much he was going to get paid - nothing had been agreed. He knew about the 10% standard and hoped to be earning more than the player he was previously due to caddie for (who earnt $100k ish.) So it was never as black and white as some people claimed - the caddie obviously expected a significant amount that never came, which is likely how the story got out in the first place.

As I said previously, well known cheapskate and $5k (if true) is pathetic. Fully accept that 10% is the going rate for a tour caddie, but would expect 5% as a minimum really. Heck, 10% would have peen a good PR story for Kuch and he wouldnt have missed the change.

Are you able to substantiate this? Not suggesting it isn’t true, just haven’t spent ages researching the story and hadn’t seen this version before.

Wolf

Visit site
You evidently know nothing about him so that's a pretty pathetic dig.

He's doing just fine. 5 top 10s in 8 starts on the Champions Tour and over $500k earnings. And yes, he needs a caddy.
No it's not a pathetic dig at all and perhaps I don't know enough about his career but what I do know is he is sticking his nose in other people's business when it's nothing to do with him.

But don't let me having an opinion get in the way of you trying to call me or what I say pathetic. I stand by my opinion whether he is doing well in the seniors tour or not he should be focusing on his own game and not spending more time trying to out other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.