Kids playing golf

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must be too harsh on my lad. I give him nothing out on the course, make him play off the blue tees instead of the reds. I let him play off 54 but that is coming down to 36 when he turns ten in a few weeks.

Ha well we’ve seen your kid swing a club and he’s no slouch so it’s not a bad way to train him in. This kid is only starting out so making sure we keep him interested cos we’ve many years to look forward to if he stays at it. Trouble is at his age he’s into team sports he can play with his mates so golf is in a tough spot for now.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Ha well we’ve seen your kid swing a club and he’s no slouch so it’s not a bad way to train him in. This kid is only starting out so making sure we keep him interested cos we’ve many years to look forward to if he stays at it. Trouble is at his age he’s into team sports he can play with his mates so golf is in a tough spot for now.

My lad is the same, loves his football even though he's better at golf.
Just keep it fun for them, I let my lad drive the buggy a bit now when we have one, which he thinks is ace.
I was told by the guy that gave him lessons back in England to not expect him to get hooked until he was developing physically at 12 or 13 years, that's when they stay to develop power in the swing, and hitting it further than their parents. ?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve came across it a few times. My first thought is “ah crap, this is going to be a while”. But no sooner have I thought it I am waved to play through.
Apart from my first thought above I like seeing dads out with their kids. Usually they look very self conscious and a bit bored though ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great idea taking them so young, teach them all the ins and outs, just don't take your eyes off them for long .
I took my 2 grandsons when they were about 6 and 8, , on the practice putting green right in front of the clubhouse I just caught the youngest in the nick of time, he was about to take a massive swing at the ball :eek:.
A new member brought his 2 toddlers to show them his new golf course, he took his eye off them, they both bolted into the 18th greenside to play bunker, right in front of the clubhouse :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing you might consider, maybe in a year or two........
Try and get him into some junior group coaching. It will help him no end if can meet some guys/girls his own age.

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My boy is 7 1/2 and started on the range with junior group coaching at 4 years old, but when I take him on a full course with me, he would tee off from the reds on par 3s. the 150 marker on par 4’s and the 200yard marker on par 5s. This gave him a chance of hitting the greens in under 3 shots and having a couple of par putts in the round.

We would always let groups through and never had a problem with any of the other members. In fact a lot would give him a couple of balls they had picked up or just words of encouragement as they passed.