Kids playing golf

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Morning all. My lovely wife is taking me away (with my 2 sons) to Hunley golf club & hotel in june for my 40th. Looking forward to it as they have 4 courses and a Par 3 course to play. My wife booked it as they said there are no issues with my 6 year old, who is getting into golf, playing onthe par 3 and any of the course's.

They said it would be down to me to decide if he is holding up play on the main courses which is fine. When we play now he hits a tee shot then picks the ball up and drops it closer the the green to play his second. I think the only issue will actually be me as i'm very concious of what others are thinking. So i'd like the input of my golfing brethren. How would you guys feel if you were behind a dad and his young son?. Would you be ok with a 6 year old on a big course (faster players will be asked to play through obviously).

D

Deleted member 21258

Would not bother me at all and personally think it is great when you see them on the course.

I took my son at about that age, I just made sure we kept up with the group in front. He used to go running off, whack the ball and then repeat. Whilst I used to walk normally and carry the additional bag(not that you really need many clubs, driver, 7 iron and putter is enough at that age).

Enjoy it and the excitement from the young ones, is immense. Bring back those day.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No issues at all. And if I wasn't in a huge hurry I'd just hang back from the Dad and Lad...put no pressure on them at all. The Dad would be checking for anyone behind and when he saw me chances are he'd wave me through. Well that's what happens at my place when I get behind a Dad and Lad. If he didn't then I guess I'd push up a little...but no hassling...don't want to put the lad off.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally, no issues at all. Have been behind such a pairing previously, last year from memory. They waved us through, we made sure to give them a cheery wave and a smile plus 'enjoy your round'. Made sure to engage in the clubhouse afterwards. It can be intimidating for parent and child and it is important to make both feel relaxed.

Be conscious that not all may feel this way however. 6 is young and oldies in particular can get a bit grumpy about kids on a course. All depends on the course and the culture of the club. In that case, give them your biggest smile as they pass you by and pity them for their sad lives. Enjoy your time together on the course.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I find that 9 holes even par 3 courses can be tiring for them mentally that is - keeping them interested!

If you can get a buggy it adds to the excitement - my boy is 10 and I often take him out just for him to drive me about the course with him having a go when he feels like.

I'd also let them pick up and place on the fairway with a tee - Lots of mulligans and encouragement!

Hope you have a lovely time!

Anyone having an issue with you with needs re-education with a AEP round to the nads!

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I've played with my lad from when he was 4, initially on a par 3 course, and them moving onto 18 hole courses as he's got older.
I generally find people enjoy seeing the young ones playing golf and are very encouraging, so don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a problem at all. Get him out and enjoying. You already sound switched on regarding pace of play and etiquette to others so don't worry about it. Regarding what others feel, I am sure most will be delighted to seeing you and your son out and playing and even if they don't as long as they can go through then the problem is theirs and not yours

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great stuff..... hope he enjoys it. Yes, a buggy is a great idea & a good way to spend time together.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
If he's anything like my 7 year old pace is not an issue. Drives his ball a hundred yards or whatever, picks up his hybrid and does the same. He doesn't hang about and it's only slightly slower than just walking normally. The problems start when he messes around on the greens but again he's quite quick and doesn't take too long. I remember worrying a bit about holding people up but I found it was the other way about.

Generally people were happy to see the young ones on the course.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't worry at all.

Even on a bigger course, what you are proposing is excellent. And if there are 4 courses then should have a good chance of getting out on a quiet one and not feeling like you are in anyone's way.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Took my 7 year old godson out a few times, in my experience people are more than happy to see kids getting out there and as long as they’re well behaved and you let anyone catching you through, everyone is happy.

If you’re worried it’s busy, perhaps play Greensomes or Foursomes, tbf I think it’s tough to keep them interested for 18, keep it fun and let them putt the “winning putt” a few times by missing the previous one intentionally ??

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Took my 7 year old godson out a few times, in my experience people are more than happy to see kids getting out there and as long as they’re well behaved and you let anyone catching you through, everyone is happy.

If you’re worried it’s busy, perhaps play Greensomes or Foursomes, tbf I think it’s tough to keep them interested for 18, keep it fun and let them putt the “winning putt” a few times by missing the previous one intentionally ??

I must be too harsh on my lad. I give him nothing out on the course, make him play off the blue tees instead of the reds. I let him play off 54 but that is coming down to 36 when he turns ten in a few weeks.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
It's hard for me to imagine.
I don't play with anybody who doesn't have trouble straightening up after picking his/her ball out of the cup.

My son, who was a good baseball player in his youth, just couldn't get into golf.
My son-in-law, who was a good hockey player in his youth, does play however.
And neither of them has kids, so I missed out on watching a little one really take to golf.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Really looking forward to it. Plenty of time to get my game in shape and for the young-un to practice with the new set of clubs he got for Christmas.
He's hillarious, he'll stand on the range talking to himself as he goes through his club choice, grips it cack handed little waggle then pulls the trigger. Not long, about 90yds with driver (only 6 so time yet and lessons in pipeline). Makes me smile watching him hit.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Really looking forward to it. Plenty of time to get my game in shape and for the young-un to practice with the new set of clubs he got for Christmas.
He's hillarious, he'll stand on the range talking to himself as he goes through his club choice, grips it cack handed little waggle then pulls the trigger. Not long, about 90yds with driver (only 6 so time yet and lessons in pipeline). Makes me smile watching him hit.

That's pretty great.
Makes me a little jealous, actually,
for more reasons than one.
A six-year-old, God willing, has an awful lot of golf ahead of him to enjoy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Guaranteed he'll take the cash from you

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Guaranteed he'll take the cash from you
Yep, there's not much i can beat him at these days (without being the uber competetive dad). Not even video games. To be fair, he likes WWE games but makes me swap controller when his character is nearly beaten. I like the boy's style (just like his dad)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep, there's not much i can beat him at these days (without being the uber competetive dad). Not even video games. To be fair, he likes WWE games but makes me swap controller when his character is nearly beaten. I like the boy's style (just like his dad)

Beard growing competition?