Kids Golf Lessons - Glasgow

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Any of you guys know anywhere that offers kids group lessons in or around Glasgow? Enrolled my five year old in the 'free lessons' at a local range which are coming to an end soon. Their business plan excludes any previous participant from going back to the group lessons which actually work out at about £7 per lesson.

Despite phoning and asking, and talking to the pro I'm not really sure what his options for progression there are.

I don't mind paying that much but don't really want to go down the individual lesson route yet as he doesn't have the concentration for that yet, and it's too expensive.

Happy for it to be at a range or a golf course where he can see the ball rolling. He wouldn't like a simulator.

Cheers.

Last edited:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't help with location but down here (central England) the best academies geared up for juniors mostly follow a pathway/structure (golf roots etc)

This starts at tri-golf (approx £5 p/h) with plastic clubs (useful until the little ones get stronger) through to advanced levels (approx £10 for 90 mins) all in groups (good for social skills and making long term friends!)

I'd recommend something like this for at least the next couple of years for a 5 y/o with the occasional (short!) 1-2-1 lesson once a bit older, depending on ability/ambition etc

HTH
Good luck, I'm sure people more local will be along soon with more specific recommendations👍👍

#growthegame

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't help with location but down here (central England) the best academies geared up for juniors mostly follow a pathway/structure (golf roots etc)

This starts at tri-golf (approx £5 p/h) with plastic clubs (useful until the little ones get stronger) through to advanced levels (approx £10 for 90 mins) all in groups (good for social skills and making long term friends!)

I'd recommend something like this for at least the next couple of years for a 5 y/o with the occasional (short!) 1-2-1 lesson once a bit older, depending on ability/ambition etc

HTH
Good luck, I'm sure people more local will be along soon with more specific recommendations👍👍

#growthegame

That's very helpful to know there's something out there. I just need to find it up here. What you've posted is exactly what I had in mind. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my club and other around here all run junior coaching. At Nairn he takes them on a Sunday morning and even Torvean around the corner from here has a Sunday afternoon for them and they don't even have a pro. Id me surprised if most clubs in Scotland didn't have something like this

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a one-off it would be fine but we'd struggle to do that every week.

That's a pity, Falkirk golf club have an excellent junior section, over 100, excellent social side aswell with trips away and things like that, very reasonably priced. Coaching sessions at the course during summer, at the range during winter, trips to St. Andrews and organised competitions. Easter, summer and October golf camps. They start of on the range/chipping green/putting green. Then they move to a small 9 hole academy course, once their handicap is good enough they move to the junior blue tees on the full course, once their handicap comes down far enough they move to the full course. Once in single figures they can play in the adult competitions. They follow an excellent progression pathway. 50% of the knockout qualifiers for our gents scratch championships all came though the section with the beaten finalist being a junior still in the section.
My 2 have just finished the summer sessions, cost me £65 for 10 sessions, roughly about 2 hours each session during the school holidays.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Good excuse for you to join too :thup:

Ha ha. I'll show the wife your post and ask what she thinks.

In all honesty that's my gameplan. As soon as he's able to hit it with relative consistency I'll get him out on the course and join somewhere with him. Although he hits it better than his old man at the moment 😕.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a pity, Falkirk golf club have an excellent junior section, over 100, excellent social side aswell with trips away and things like that, very reasonably priced. Coaching sessions at the course during summer, at the range during winter, trips to St. Andrews and organised competitions. Easter, summer and October golf camps. They start of on the range/chipping green/putting green. Then they move to a small 9 hole academy course, once their handicap is good enough they move to the junior blue tees on the full course, once their handicap comes down far enough they move to the full course. Once in single figures they can play in the adult competitions. They follow an excellent progression pathway. 50% of the knockout qualifiers for our gents scratch championships all came though the section with the beaten finalist being a junior still in the section.
My 2 have just finished the summer sessions, cost me £65 for 10 sessions, roughly about 2 hours each session during the school holidays.

That sounds really good. Having looked at Cowglen again after Billy mentioned it they might do something similar. Cheers.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wow. This place looks amazing. I've trawlled the internet and this never came up. Thanks for the heads up. Just what I was after.

Bobby Rushford one of our Pro's leaves to take up a coaching position here. He was responsible for Junior Coaching at Glenbervie and will be sadly missed.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi HowlingGale- just in case you are interested our teaching pro put up his winter coaching plans and the juniors part was:

Junior coaching - £60 Wednesday 5.15pm – 6.15pm
- Commences Wednesday 1st November (book place in advance)
- 6 x 1 hour coaching sessions at Mearns Castle Driving range
- Balls provided each session
- On-course playing lesson after the last session

Junior October Coaching Camps

- Tuesday 17th to Thursday 19th October (book place in advance)
- Three day camp
- Under 8’s 9am – 10am (£15)
- Under 14’s 10.30am – 12.30pm (£25 including snack and juice)
- Venue East Ren GC

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi HowlingGale- just in case you are interested our teaching pro put up his winter coaching plans and the juniors part was:

Junior coaching - £60 Wednesday 5.15pm – 6.15pm
- Commences Wednesday 1st November (book place in advance)
- 6 x 1 hour coaching sessions at Mearns Castle Driving range
- Balls provided each session
- On-course playing lesson after the last session

Junior October Coaching Camps

- Tuesday 17th to Thursday 19th October (book place in advance)
- Three day camp
- Under 8’s 9am – 10am (£15)
- Venue East Ren GC

Had also looked at Mearns Castle. If this had been at the weekend it might have been a goer. Cheers.