Keeping your back to target thru transition.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been suffering for a while with a spin out of the shoulders through transition. This has caused me noticeable issues through the golf swing. No matter how much I focus on a lower body-lead transition, my shoulders always span out :angry:

After trawling the internet, I came across a little piece of advice from Zach Johnson:

To groove your downswing, here are a couple of thoughts: (1) Keep your back to the target for as long as possible, and (2) feel like your chest is facing the ball at impact. These cues will get your arms swinging down in front of you instead of being dragged through by an overactive body

The above is obviously only a feeling, or else you'd hit nothing but shanks and blocks.

I gave this a go at the weekend, and to say the results were dramatic was an understatement! All I did was make the conscious effort to shift my weight left, lower half first, while my back was still facing my target, then, once my weight had moved, turned through the swing as normal. Throughout the 18 holes of golf I played, I only hit 2 pulls out to the left, 2! This would have probably been into double figures.

I hit more push draws in that one round than I have in recent memory. Contact was also improved with a much crisper strike.

I hit quite a few out to the right, but these only missed my target area by a few yards on the right and was more than acceptable as opposed to the alternative drag pull straight left.

While this appears to have helped me to semi-correct my swing path issue, is the feeling of keeping your back to the target for as long as possible sensible advice?

Just curious as to your thoughts :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Jeepers G..
Tim-and-Eric-Space-Explosions.gif

Hit the damn ball :D

On the odd occasion I hit the range, I try to make my swing as simple as possible.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It works for me and one of my key thoughts - especially with woods and driver. It helps me drop my arms down from the top rather than spinning out.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I'm a great believer in having key thoughts, maximum of one for the back swing & one for the downswing. Whatever works for you is OK. The only thing I find sometimes is that, if I concentrate too much on a swing thought, I start overdoing it, but it's easy to realise when you're doing this & to put it right.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
sounds like just another way of thinking with regards to delaying the top half spinning out and over the bottom half.

Whatever swing thought works imo.

Plus it's Zach, I'd listen to him as his wedge play especially is phenomenal.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Jeepers G..

Hit the damn ball :D

On the odd occasion I hit the range, I try to make my swing as simple as possible.

Very true. I've been trying to do that and hitting it left :D

What's that saying ...... If you always do what you've always done. You'll always get what you've always got.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
No baffling surprises though :) Lee trevino, Arnie Palmer, Lee Westwood (Bowed left arm), Eamon Darcy, Colin Montgomery etc etc.

Very true. I've been trying to do that and hitting it left :D

What's that saying ...... If you always do what you've always done. You'll always get what you've always got.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
No baffling surprises though :) Lee trevino, Arnie Palmer, Lee Westwood (Bowed left arm), Eamon Darcy, Colin Montgomery etc etc.

.... And while they can, comfortably, nudge it round under par ..... I can't :D

I don't aspire to have the picture perfect swing. Just one a little more solid than what I have. Besides I'm down to my last 2 swing thoughts now :mad:

D

Deleted Member 1156

All I did was make the conscious effort to shift my weight left, lower half first, while my back was still facing my target, then, once my weight had moved, turned through the swing as normal.

Just curious as to your thoughts :D

My thoughts?

Do you honestly believe you can think of all the above and execute it in a downswing that takes half a second?

Just swing back and through whilst looking at the ball.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My thoughts?

Do you honestly believe you can think of all the above and execute it in a downswing that takes half a second?

Just swing back and through whilst looking at the ball.

I'd agree too many swing thoughts are impossible BUT one key one that works, that gets the synchronisation right - that's possible and worth having imho. I have a menu I pick from depending on what's happening on a given day on the course.

Plus thinking of one key thought keeps my mind from wandering!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd agree too many swing thoughts are impossible BUT one key one that works, that gets the synchronisation right - that's possible and worth having imho. I have a menu I pick from depending on what's happening on a given day on the course.

Plus thinking of one key thought keeps my mind from wandering!

I was going to reply but this sums it up nicely :thup:

I'm not talking about thinking my way through the down swing, just getting it started correctly :)

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would point you to the Bruce Lee quote in your signature Gareth. I have no idea how you manage to get round with this stuff in your head.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
With the driver I like to have the swing thought that my upper body stays still while I just swing down with my arms

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the same problem as you Gareth. I find that I'm ok if I concentrate on moving the hips first and "fill my head with swing thoughts" but my game goes to pieces if I "just swing and hit the ball". It's usually on the back 9 that my concentration goes. I'm guessing that it will eventually get ingrained and I can start worrying about something else.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey Gareth - you certainly think a lot about your swing ! Be careful it doesn't become too much thought and not enough enjoyment :thup:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back to the original post, I had a lesson and the pro identified my shoulders were well past the ball at impact, almost facing the target. He advised exactly this remedy, feeling you are keeping your back to the target as long as possible. It worked for me!