Keeping the Club-face closed

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or should I say prevent the club-face from opening through impact. Went down the range today and could see myself delivering really poor club-face through impact but couldnt correct it!.. I tried closing the face more but everytime I corrected my grip on address could see it almost slipping back before I swung.

Regretted going down the range today.. had stayed up after my last night shift .. should have gone bed then gone.. found only thing I could hit were wedges so after 100 shots I decided enough was enough and just focused on wedges to try and build confidence. It worked though made me feel less like I was wasting my time.

30 wedge shots.. 20 found the green

anyone got any tips for keeping the clubface closed?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're delivering the club face pen Check your grip :thup:

It may have slipped a little weak (left hand rotated left).

defo the left hand, I try placing it more over the top but ends up looking like a blooming baseball grip by time I swing

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
check over the lead hand hold particularly where the handle lies in the hand - often times issues can stem from the handle being way too far up in the palm directly under the thumb pad so lying more diagonally in the hand -at address means would see virtually no knuckles - but also the hands won't be able to 'set' it will promote more a roll over in the takeback first couple feet which then often times means the path into the ball has the contact point way out to the toe which opens the face up

make sure the lead hand has the handle lower down in the palm at near 90º across the base of the palm & bottom of the fingers, so the hold can be more in the fingers so the thumb is top right hand-side of the handle then after the first 18" or so of the takeback the hands can set more upwards not roll over - think thumbs point up to the sky so more a flat lead wrist at the top & then also flat to bowed lead wrist when the club is horizontal to the ground in the downswing

get to the top stop check the lead wrist is flat-ish not cupped then just make a slow mo move down to halfways trail elbow to infront trail hip with shaft horizontal to the ground leading edge of club matching the spine angle with the lead wrist slightly bowed - think lead knuckles point to the ground halfways down

repeat that a couple of times slow to feel that top position to halfways down checking it's good then make a swing through the ball trying to feel those same things - don't swing flat out just at 60% or so, swing flat out you'll just keep doing what you've always done

will take a while of repeating the move to the top to halfways down and stop checking the positions and feel, then a swing through a ball focusing on feeling the same - you'll mishit a bunch but persevere really checking the positions and feels and should start to get the drift of it

first off need to really check over how the handle lies in that lead hand plus making sure you lined up parallel to target line

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
check over the lead hand hold particularly where the handle lies in the hand - often times issues can stem from the handle being way too far up in the palm directly under the thumb pad so lying more diagonally in the hand -at address means would see virtually no knuckles - but also the hands won't be able to 'set' it will promote more a roll over in the takeback first couple feet which then often times means the path into the ball has the contact point way out to the toe which opens the face up

make sure the lead hand has the handle lower down in the palm at near 90º across the base of the palm & bottom of the fingers, so the hold can be more in the fingers so the thumb is top right hand-side of the handle then after the first 18" or so of the takeback the hands can set more upwards not roll over - think thumbs point up to the sky so more a flat lead wrist at the top & then also flat to bowed lead wrist when the club is horizontal to the ground in the downswing

get to the top stop check the lead wrist is flat-ish not cupped then just make a slow mo move down to halfways trail elbow to infront trail hip with shaft horizontal to the ground leading edge of club matching the spine angle with the lead wrist slightly bowed - think lead knuckles point to the ground halfways down

repeat that a couple of times slow to feel that top position to halfways down checking it's good then make a swing through the ball trying to feel those same things - don't swing flat out just at 60% or so, swing flat out you'll just keep doing what you've always done

will take a while of repeating the move to the top to halfways down and stop checking the positions and feel, then a swing through a ball focusing on feeling the same - you'll mishit a bunch but persevere really checking the positions and feels and should start to get the drift of it

first off need to really check over how the handle lies in that lead hand plus making sure you lined up parallel to target line

Decided today to try out the vardon grip and to my surprise I was able to control the face much more.. felt a stronger grip. felt my right thumb was able to turn the club face through the back swing to make sure it remains closed and doesnt open

see how it pans out

13Aces

Club Champion
Visit site
I have occasionally been experimenting with this idea this season. Also have been closely watching the pros on the golf coverage. Some, but not all, seem to keep the club face "looking" at the ball as they make the takeaway. To do this, IMHO, there has to be a curling down/under of the left hand at the start of the backswing. I also recall reading an article by Rory where he was advocating keeping the club face "looking" at the ball for as long as possible during the takeaway. Unfortunately at the time I was in the dentist's waiting room and never got to finish the article!!
Certainly when doing this yesterday I produced some really solid contacts but there is a fear factor of hitting one well left than can inhibit a free release.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
on further reading I think what I tried today was an interlocking grip as the little finger was inbetween rather than on top

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So first lesson with new pro today

spoke about my swing and how I produce fades... etc etc

he said "by the end of these 4 lessons you will be drawing every club and by end of today we will have you drawing your irons"

true to his word by the end of the hour I was drawing my irons.. he changed my set up routine slightly. few tweeks and sure enough it works.. Hitting the course tomorrow lets see how it goes in the wind

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So first lesson with new pro today

spoke about my swing and how I produce fades... etc etc

he said "by the end of these 4 lessons you will be drawing every club and by end of today we will have you drawing your irons"

true to his word by the end of the hour I was drawing my irons.. he changed my set up routine slightly. few tweeks and sure enough it works.. Hitting the course tomorrow lets see how it goes in the wind

It doesn't take much....

So which grip are you using now?