KBS shafts

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
I am thinking about buying a secondhand set of irons with KBS stiff shafts that i have got my eye on. these shafts are 1" longer. If i get them cut down to standard length will this affect the flex ?

thanks

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I am thinking about buying a secondhand set of irons with KBS stiff shafts that i have got my eye on. these shafts are 1" longer. If i get them cut down to standard length will this affect the flex ?

thanks

If you have a chance to try them why not try holding them normally and then an inch down the shaft and see how they perform in both positions. It may save the cost of regripping them all.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Simply cutting them shouldn't affect the flex, but you will also have to adjust the swing weight back to what it was - at about 6gms per inch, I believe, and that will soften the flex noticeably. Alternatively, you could replace the grips with lighter ones. There's a different formula for that - which I can't find at the mo, but probable 8-10 gms is equivalent. So not just a case of 'hacking and whacking'!

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
this would depend on if they were weight balanced to start off with ? when they are ordered straight from the facory at 1" longer do they worry about this sort of thing ?

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
You won't affect the flex of the shaft by cutting them down and at +1" they might be unplayable for you - it doesnt really go on height despite what most people think! You will affect the swingweight though (this is how heavy they feel when they are swinging above your head - not static weight). Its not possible to say by how much because it depends on where the balance point of the shaft is. Best thing to do after buying them is get them along to an independent clubfitter and ask for them to be checked out for consistency, cutting to length and swingweighting probably to around a D1 level.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the OEM's make the shaft 1" longer do they adjust the swingweight? or if it's shorter than standard do they adjust the swingweight? I have 1/2" shorter shafts and can see no weight added or removed. I think swingweight is overated anyway,cut 2" off a driver in the past and yes it felt light but I soon adjusted and it was a real fairway finder.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
When the OEM's make the shaft 1" longer do they adjust the swingweight? or if it's shorter than standard do they adjust the swingweight? I have 1/2" shorter shafts and can see no weight added or removed. I think swingweight is overated anyway,cut 2" off a driver in the past and yes it felt light but I soon adjusted and it was a real fairway finder.

No, if they swapped out Dynamic Golds at D1, say, the KBS would come up at C9. That is fine. The KBS has a different weight distribution than other steel shafts.