Just Started.

Nick-D

Visit site
At the age of 51 I've discovered golf. Oh woe is me.

After a session on the driving range at Stonlees and a lucky find of a beginners set of clubs from the club shop I'm hooked.

Living in Gravesend I'm lucky enough to have the Gravesend Golf Center on my doorstep. After a few visits of basically thrashing around I booked a lesson with Stacey, one of the pros/instructors. Wow, what a difference, before the lesson maybe one in ten shots were going roughly in the right direction(ish), now the equation is reversed. About a month and four or five visits to the range later, I had another lesson. Half revision of what I had been taught before and then work on the short game. As I felt the adrenaline start to rise as the ball approached the hole on my first attempted put, which missed by a mile, I knew this was going to be very dangerous to my wallet, my time and my nerves. She who wants to be obeyed indoors will understand I'm sure.

Todays visit to the range was a nightmare, only joy was my pitching, was a vast improvement thanks to Stacey and the last lesson.

A few few more visits to the range and then I'm going to attack the short course.

I've read the other posts from beginners and the accompanying comments and hopefully taken the tips on board, I give my thanks for those, but any other tips gratefully received.

As far as equipment goes, the advice I've been given is get the cheap stuff, Sports Direct/Dunlop, and keep the beginner club set until they start to be a hindrance rather than a help, then start to get quality clubs and equipment. I'm sure the brand and make of bag will make no difference to my game.

If you've got this far thanks for reading and maybe I'll see you out there.

Nick.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Welcome to the wonderful world of golf (and to the forum, of course). Your life is never gonna be the same again.:D

Try to get your wife into it as well. It doubles the costs, but makes negotiations about diverting funds towards golf much easier. Plus it can actually be fun to play together (okay, it can be hell as well ... but you'll figure that out soon :whistle:)

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Re equipment, have a look at the usual ebay/gumtree sites for second hand clubs and equipment.

You're likely to get much higher quality for the same price or cheaper.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems like you have started a good way with having lessons, good luck when you venture onto a course, very different from the range as you will soo find out, but much more enjoyable.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hey good luck!! Sounds like you've truly been bitten by the golfing bug!!! I'm another advocate of getting gear from the recognised manufacturers. Check out Direct Golf today , they're virtually giving away full sets of Cleveland Irons !!!!