Just got into golf

Chumter

Visit site
Hi , I just got into golf a couple of days ago thanks to happy Gilmore , I seem to be decent at it and even bought new clubs such as driver,wedge and putter . I already had the wedge in my shed but I bought a new one anyways
So I was wondering , after a while , how would I get into competitions and tournaments ? Do I need to join a club , how do I do that ? Also if I get really into it how do I become a amateur in golf or even a pro ? Also what age ranges are usually in clubs ? How do clubs work ? Are they different ages for each competition ? How do I get chosen for a competition ? Where do I find tournaments? Can members of the clubs on play in competitions ?

also is it wise to pay £30 for 6 weeks and train with different people to get better ?( in a club)
I’m 16 btw

Thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Chumter and welcome. Glad to hear youre a natural :)

where abouts are you based?

To play competitions and tournaments you will need to be a member of a club yes, the easiest way to join is just to approach the local clubs to where you live. You will find all age ranges from 8 to 80+ at clubs! Some competitions will be open to all, some will be age restricted (ie only juniors, or maybe only seniors etc). If theres a competition at your club and you are eligible then you just choose to enter. Course membership should be good value as you are 16 (it will get dearer when you are 18+)

I assume the £30 for 6 weeks is for group lessons? If so then as a relative beginner then yes this should be good for you, you will learn some basics, get to know some other new golfers etc

Good luck

Chumter

Visit site
Hi again , thanks for the reply

im based around Birmingham ,west midlands more specifically , and ive searched for some clubs but only found one to be suitable for me , the other clubs currently have some tournaments going on whereas this one doesnt show any. the others are just too expensive for me lol . the one which is suitable for me , the membership there is way cheaper but the group lessons happen in a different place and the membership where the sessions occur costs around £200-£800 a yr ,
the one that is suitable for me : https://www.mytimeactive.co.uk/loca.../club-members-hatchford-brook-golf-centre-gym

can you tell me if this is a good club for me , lol :)

also typically ,how much people my age go to golf clubs ?
and is 16 a bit too late if i wanted to become a amateur or a pro in the future , also what is the path to become a amateur or a pro ?

Thanks Again

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Make sure you are looking at junior rates, I wouldnt expect membership to cost much more than £200 (and may well be cheaper) for someone under 18 and group lessons should also be very affordable. I dont know many of the courses in your area, hopefully someone else will post with some local knowledge but I would message the most local clubs to you, ask what junior membership costs, do they have an active junior membership, what coaching/competitions are there etc, may also be worth seeing what it will cost once you become 18 too

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Taking one question how do you go about being a pro depends on whether you are talking about a touring pro or a club pro. For the former you have to be exceptionally good e.g regularly shooting 4 or so under par gross at the club where you will be a member.

If the latter

https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/the-game/how-to-become-a-pga-professional-65256

Most clubs offer some sort of junior coaching programme and you do not always have to be a member to participate

Worth checking here to find which clubs take part in the programme

https://www.golf-foundation.org/

Clubs themselves can vary enormously and what is available to juniors very much depends on how many junior members they have. At our we have junior only comps and juniors can play in adult comps but must play in them with an adult.

Chumter

Visit site
Make sure you are looking at junior rates, I wouldnt expect membership to cost much more than £200 (and may well be cheaper) for someone under 18 and group lessons should also be very affordable. I dont know many of the courses in your area, hopefully someone else will post with some local knowledge but I would message the most local clubs to you, ask what junior membership costs, do they have an active junior membership, what coaching/competitions are there etc, may also be worth seeing what it will cost once you become 18 too
Taking one question how do you go about being a pro depends on whether you are talking about a touring pro or a club pro. For the former you have to be exceptionally good e.g regularly shooting 4 or so under par gross at the club where you will be a member.

If the latter

https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/the-game/how-to-become-a-pga-professional-65256

Most clubs offer some sort of junior coaching programme and you do not always have to be a member to participate

Worth checking here to find which clubs take part in the programme

https://www.golf-foundation.org/

Clubs themselves can vary enormously and what is available to juniors very much depends on how many junior members they have. At our we have junior only comps and juniors can play in adult comps but must play in them with an adult.

Hi again , thanks for this information . I am gonna email the clubs and hopefully get a response . also i am a bit stuck on the different clubs as i though there were only 3/4 but i heard you can bring 14 different clubs in with you to the course can you tell me the different clubs ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi again , thanks for this information . I am gonna email the clubs and hopefully get a response . also i am a bit stuck on the different clubs as i though there were only 3/4 but i heard you can bring 14 different clubs in with you to the course can you tell me the different clubs ?
I think you would be better off going to the local pro shop or somewhere like American Golf to give you a run down of clubs and their function on the course.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Second what Rulefan says, but would suggest you go to the local club shop and chat with the staff in there. They may have some 2nd hand gear from members who have upgraded and you may get a good deal. Whatever the outcome, they won't try and rip you off with unsuitable stuff and will be more than happy to advise you on what you do (and more importantly don't) need when you set off on your golf journey. I would suggest you don't go too mad splashing the cash yet, you may find after a few rounds it isn't for you and you will be left greatly out of pocket. Good luck on your golf life and keep us posted :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you first start playing you do not need 14 clubs.

You only need what is known as half set..

I.e irons normally come as 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, pitching wedge(PW), gap wedge (GW 52 degree or so ), Sand wedge (SW 56 degree)
so a half set would be
5,7,9 GW and SW
or
6, 8, PW SW

Most beginners do not hit the clubs consistently well enough to really notice the difference between adjacent clubs e.g 7 and 8 so a 2 club gap is good enough.

Add in Driver, 5 wood and a putter

Take a look around at second hand sites such a Facebook market place, Affordable Golf, Golf Clubs for cash.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think about where you are going to play as well.
At 16 you can’t drive so the club must be on a bus/ train route.
Or you need a lift.
All the questions your asking will be answered in time as you get to learn the game.
What you need atm is a few decent clubs, somewhere to play / practice the basics you will learn in your group sessions and just get to hit the ball properly.
The technical stuff can come later
Just enjoy yourself ,but be warned it can be a frustrating game to master.
Good luck.