Just getting back into golf and... need help with tools

Ngac

Visit site
Things have changed since I last played 10/11 years ago. Seems a lot easier to get distances via devices. I’m not a good golfer so just need guide

Looking for cheap way to do this and wanted opinions?

These were my thoughts

Apple Watch 3 £125 used from a friend
Bushnell phantom £99 new

Other second hand gps /watch ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If really wishing to start basic there are plenty of apps for smartphones.

You should find used golf gps watches for less than the apple, and generic lasers for less than the Bushnell

Ngac

Visit site
Thanks for responses
I double glove in this weather so the phone is a pain in the arse as I need to take off a glove for touch screen... saying that maybe that’s the same on the watch I’ve read mixed responses with some suggesting the glove touch works with watch.

Which second hand one would people recommend?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Things have changed since I last played 10/11 years ago. Seems a lot easier to get distances via devices. I’m not a good golfer so just need guide

These were my thoughts

Bushnell phantom £99 new

To be honest, if I was coming back to golf I'd be investing my initial cash on lessons. However there are loads of options available via mobile phone apps

Ngac

Visit site
I have lessons booked in and bought a hybrid.
clothes (winter gear) and gps were my next purchases planned!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Have a search on here for "Rangefinder", probably see things like boblov, ben sayers, suaoki.
I have a garmin S1 been going for years, so any of the S. There's also golf buddy, bushnell and others

Ngac

Visit site
Thanks
Wa looking at golf buddy
Tom Tom golfer and the garmin approach watches but all toiching 100 ish so figure Apple Watch may be better option but dedicated device seems to be preferable.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks
Wa looking at golf buddy
Tom Tom golfer and the garmin approach watches but all toiching 100 ish so figure Apple Watch may be better option but dedicated device seems to be preferable.

I had an apple watch for golf ages ago

I now have a dedicated watch

I much prefer this

D

Deleted member 21258

If you do not hit a fairly consistent ball, then knowing the exact yardage wont help a lot tbh. Not sure I would bother early on.

One thing to bear in mind, is that some Golf stat navs have yearly charges, to keep the access to maps etc. Maybe something to look at for.

I would just get playing the game and enjoy. Welcome to golf and hope it goes well.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

These were my thoughts

Bushnell phantom £99 new

Big fan of apple watch. Obviously can be used off the course and I wouldn't be without mine. Makes a GPS watch completely obsolete.

With a free app (I use Hole 19) you can get distances to carries or bunkers on your phone - I'd say quicker and would be more useful than a Bushnell.

Have always loved the simplicity of a GPS watch / Apple watch where you can just glance at your wrist and get a yardage to front / middle / back of the green.