Just can't get it

CCBMD444

Visit site
Playing for more than 30 years. Drive the ball consistently 250+. Short game is horrible. 15 handicap. My biggest problem is the mind game. I look at putt or a chip shot from behind, I feel like I know how hard I need to hit it, yet as soon as I make contact, I realize it's the wrong speed. I play with people all the time that get it. They know and then execute. It just doesn't happen for me. Anything to improve the psychology of my game? Or is it just going to stay the same?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Practice. practice, practice! Practice of chipping/pitching ingrains the distance vs swing visualisation/feel!

Find a style of distance control that you get on with - either Dave Pelz's (clock system) and/or Stan Utley's pivot technique.

Alternatively (or even in conjunction with!), book a couple of lessons with your Pro purely to address your chipping/pitching issues and technique!

Likewise putting is 'merely' a case of hitting hundreds (or evem thousands) of putts to ingrain the distance/weight concept! The 'inside a rubbish bin lid' drill is pretty good. Likewise, putting with your eyes closed makes your brain focus solely on weight of putt!

Btw. Getting within 8 feet is the target for pitching, chipping a bit closer. But, at least initially, be realistic. My chipping practice sessions often started with balls ending up seemingly scattered around the practice green! But by the end of the session they were normally grouped pretty tightly!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My putting distance control has improved a lot since I changed my technique. Two practice swings while looking at the hole, step up to the hole &, without delay, hit the putt with the same swing. Couldn't believe how well this worked. Works pretty well on chips too.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I watched the Andy Gorham/ Ged Waters putting series on Utube and tried it out yesterday over a 9 hole round following a long game lesson and it certainly looks like a style I shall stick to.

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
I would suggest chipping and pitching work out a stock shot for you course. I say this as so many variables involved but until you get confidence with one you will struggle to practice each type of shot.

This could be a 8 iron played to release, sand iron to carrying closer to hole but try to get familiar and your head right for this shot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try chipping with a number of different clubs until you find one that gives the best results. I've tried everything from sand up to 8 iron, and I've now found that the 9 iron chip and run tends to get me the nearest.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Move 90 degrees.....

Don't look at such shots in a linear way ie from behind. Move yourself (mentaly) and visualise the whole shot from the side and let your subconscious and conscious agree and understand trajectory and roll out.

Then just let the subconcious deliver.

Trust the force! It does work

CCBMD444

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Even though it’s been 30 years of practice, I will practice more. Will look at distance from the side...thanks for the tip and will try all the way up to an 8 iron...thanks for that tip as well.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m in the opposite boat... I just can’t get the long game. 250 seems a dream to me!

I was probably the only member who used the 50 yard short game area at my last club though...

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There was a video I watched a while back where Tiger explained how he goes about setting up a putt, and you realise that pros have a pre shot routine for EVERY shot.

I have also done this for putting without quite realising, and it wasn’t too dissimilar to Tigers method, so maybe you could try a pre shot routine.

What I do is read my line and whilst still looking at the line behind the ball, make a practice swing or two with the idea of getting the weight of the putt. I then place my ball down at my marker, using the alignment line in the ball to aim.

I stand behind the ball again, make one more practice swing and then setup to the ball. Make two more practice swings but act like they’re real, in that I imagine the line and speed the ball will take. I then setup to the ball, and only concentrate on two things. Swinging with the speed I want to swing, and moving the putter along the line of the alignment line on the ball, and imagine the putt in my head. I don’t look up, just imagine the putt as though I was watching from directly behind myself. I then make the putt.

I’m not saying my routine will work for you, but having a routine will make a massive difference. I know people scoff at using an alignment line and lining up your ball, but it allows you to really concentrate on the stroke, without having to really think about where to swing your putter.

I consider myself a good putter, I average low 30s per round, and have had a couple of rounds in the late 20s.

I also believe in having the correct putter for you. It’s the club you use most, and the most personal in the bag. I had a centre shafted putter and used to miss right, change to heel shafted as that helps promote closing the toe, made a massive difference.

Could be something to try.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try chipping with a number of different clubs until you find one that gives the best results. I've tried everything from sand up to 8 iron, and I've now found that the 9 iron chip and run tends to get me the nearest.

This is a good idea. I used to use whichever club I thought was the right one for a particular chip shot, but have found that when I use just a 9 iron I get the ball consistently closer to the hole. I think that each person chips differently and one of your clubs will suit your chip shot best. It's just a case of finding which one it is.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Practice putting for distance not accuracy.
I used to get funny looks on the practice green when I would not aim longer putts at pins but try to get half a dozen balls to within a couple of feet from the fringe.
Also worth remembering the old saying that you seldom 3 putt from the centre of the green.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Move 90 degrees.....

Don't look at such shots in a linear way ie from behind. Move yourself (mentaly) and visualise the whole shot from the side and let your subconscious and conscious agree and understand trajectory and roll out.

Then just let the subconcious deliver.

Trust the force! It does work

Of all the replies I have read, This is my mantra.

When I had a chipping lesson. Look from the side and see where you want the ball to land and then run out on the green to the flag. The more green you have the less loft you can use. It is down to the individual if you prefer 7 iron or wedge. If you have hardly any green then loft it is, which is why practising is essential with all clubs.
The second thing I was taught was the closer you are to the hole the more practice swings/strokes you take, because as has been mentioned, you are relying on touch,feel, muscle memory.
one other thing, if you can bladder it 250, a fair few second shots should be pitches onto the green, how good are your approach shots?

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Read Dr Bob rotella - looks as though you've already defeated yourself but you've took the shots!

Also practice helps - and getting specific lessons.

Perhaps AimPoint might be for you