Jury Service question

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone here done jury service? My service was due to start tomorrow but I had an email saying I wasn't required to attend on Monday but I should remain available. I have to wait for an email the day before to see if I'm due in the next day.
Does this mean I'm not in the selected jury for the 2 weeks and unlikely to be called or is it a fresh jury each day (apart from those on trials more than a day)

It's a little annoying that I went through a great deal of inconvenience to clear my diary for two weeks only to be told "thanks but no thanks"

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been three times but 20 yrs ago.
then it was a central pool of jurors in a large room.
every morning ushers come and ask for volunteers to do big trials ( longer than two weeks).
most shorter trials were just picked at random.
but I am sure things have changed now.

just a word of warning,
Dont go drinking or get back late after lunch ,the judges are very strict on anyone who holds the trial up.

yandabrown

Visit site
I did it many years ago, it seems like a completely shambolic system but there are probably some good reasons behind it in the way that our legal systems work (I'm sure that some of our (ex)police members on here could enlighten us). There are fresh cases starting regularly so not being required tomorrow is no indication of what might happen the rest of the week. You could even be on more than one jury over the 2 weeks. It is also possible to be selected for a trial that lasts longer than 2 weeks! I found that there were many periods of just waiting around so take a good book! So just be patient, good luck and thank you for performing your civic duty and not ducking it like so many seem to.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You could very easily be picked for a jury on Day 2.

My daughter did it last year, had to go every day, but didn’t get a case until Day 4.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One big issue with the system for me. (Same with covid isolation at the end) you need to fully pay people to do it.. I'm fortunate that my work pay me for jury service but others don't

Same with witness for the wife last week she was lucky to be paid

However the trail was postponed and asked would she be willing to come back

This is why people don't want to give evidence/ serve on a jury. It costs them money

They should fully compensate those involved

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lot will depend on how many courts are being served.
When I did mine 30 odd years ago just 3 courts,didn't get called for 2 days to spend 2 half days waiting in jury room to be released at 12.00

Then got on a case which lasted 3 days and then released for.the 2nd week .
Good to hear you get an email saying if you're not needed tomorrow so you can plan accordingly

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did it at the beginning of 2020.

New cases can start every day, so just because you didn't get chosen on day 1 doesn't mean you won't on day 2.

Also, you could get a case that lasts a couple to a handful of days... Or you could be like me and get one that lasted a full month.

Happy to answer any questions you have.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One big issue with the system for me. (Same with covid isolation at the end) you need to fully pay people to do it.. I'm fortunate that my work pay me for jury service but others don't

Same with witness for the wife last week she was lucky to be paid

However the trail was postponed and asked would she be willing to come back

This is why people don't want to give evidence/ serve on a jury. It costs them money

They should fully compensate those involved
First time I went the clerk in the courthouse paid us.
We had to supply proof of earnings lost ( inc bonus and shift allowance)and they paid us cash tax free.
but that changed the second time and I was paid through my employer net.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could very easily be picked for a jury on Day 2.

My daughter did it last year, had to go every day, but didn’t get a case until Day 4.
This is my understanding of what happens when you're instructed to attend. I've been been told to not even turn up tomorrow.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First time I went the clerk in the courthouse paid us.
We had to supply proof of earnings lost ( inc bonus and shift allowance)and they paid us cash tax free.
but that changed the second time and I was paid through my employer net.

"up to £64.95 to help cover your loss of earnings and the cost of any care or childcare outside of your usual arrangements"

Don't get what they think this would cover lol

My wife's one cracked me up, £4.80 think it was because over 4 hours for drinks and food

As there is no food on site what is that providing? Wouldn't even cover a McDonald's these days

What spoke volumes is the price was set in 2008. Maybe back then that would cover something but it's 2023.. inflation is a thing

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"up to £64.95 to help cover your loss of earnings and the cost of any care or childcare outside of your usual arrangements"

Don't get what they think this would cover lol
Jeez that’s nowhere near enough these days.
that’s not even minimum wage.
jurors should get what the Peers get for turning up at the House Of Lords.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jeez that’s nowhere near enough these days.
that’s not even minimum wage.
jurors should get what the Peers get for turning up at the House Of Lords.

Just added the food bit aswell if you want a laugh!..

Why would I want to go to court knowing it would cost me money?

Problems with your employer
If you’re not allowed to take time off work for jury service, you can complain to an employment tribunal.

If you’re sacked because you do jury service you may be able to claim unfair dismissal.

Problem? If my employer managed to stope doing jury service I'd thank them not complain about them

If you are doing the right thing and you have done nothing wrong you should be fully compensated

Wonder how many people avoid it to just not lose cash

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I did it many years ago, it seems like a completely shambolic system but there are probably some good reasons behind it in the way that our legal systems work (I'm sure that some of our (ex)police members on here could enlighten us). There are fresh cases starting regularly so not being required tomorrow is no indication of what might happen the rest of the week. You could even be on more than one jury over the 2 weeks. It is also possible to be selected for a trial that lasts longer than 2 weeks! I found that there were many periods of just waiting around so take a good book! So just be patient, good luck and thank you for performing your civic duty and not ducking it like so many seem to.

I certainly can’t comment on how jury service is run, but I will say the Court process is largely chaotic. There are many reasons for that, and every police officer will tell you that they waste HOURS at Court, waiting to give evidence, only to be told they are no longer required.

What tends to happen is thay defence legal teams will often insist on the attendance of witnesses, only to then accept their evidence at the last minute. The Courts like to keep trial times to a minimum in order to keep costs as low as possible, and as a consequence prosecutors and defence lawyers are encouraged to agree as many witnesses as possible without the need to hear their evidence in person.

Whilst that sort of practice doesn’t directly impact on the requirement for juries, it gives a flavour of some of the behind the scenes goings-on, many of which will result in trials being adjourned and re-listed for later dates. I would say that in excess of 50% of the trials I was involved with didn’t start on time.

As for receiving payment for doing jury service, as others have suggested, the argument will always be that it is a civic duty. If a potential juror can show that taking time out of their normal lives will cause particular hardship (self employment being an obvious case in point), then there is always a possibility, albeit remote, that they will be excused.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just had a call up this week. Been called before about 10 years ago but wasn't required when it came to it. Hoping for the same again.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's strange.... Maybe because when I served it was my first time.... But I really really enjoyed the process. Found the way courts worked fascinating and I had a very intense case, I also had no stress as work paid me full pay for all 4+ weeks.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I certainly can’t comment on how jury service is run, but I will say the Court process is largely chaotic. There are many reasons for that, and every police officer will tell you that they waste HOURS at Court, waiting to give evidence, only to be told they are no longer required.

What tends to happen is thay defence legal teams will often insist on the attendance of witnesses, only to then accept their evidence at the last minute. The Courts like to keep trial times to a minimum in order to keep costs as low as possible, and as a consequence prosecutors and defence lawyers are encouraged to agree as many witnesses as possible without the need to hear their evidence in person.

Whilst that sort of practice doesn’t directly impact on the requirement for juries, it gives a flavour of some of the behind the scenes goings-on, many of which will result in trials being adjourned and re-listed for later dates. I would say that in excess of 50% of the trials I was involved with didn’t start on time.

As for receiving payment for doing jury service, as others have suggested, the argument will always be that it is a civic duty. If a potential juror can show that taking time out of their normal lives will cause particular hardship (self employment being an obvious case in point), then there is always a possibility, albeit remote, that they will be excused.

Im not talking about getting paid for it

But you shouldn't lose pay to do it

£64 a day. Ridiculous

That's suppose to cover childcare aswell

In this day and age that would cover the average cost of childcare for 1 day. For 1 child

And as others have said its not even minimum wage. So even someone on minimum wage would lose £20 a day

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just thought.. who gets guaranteed income? Pensioners
Who would prob enjoy something to do? Pensioners

Maybe pensioners would be a brilliant choice for jury service, they have years of wisdom to call upon and anyone struggling with their energy bills would save a fortune

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I have just thought.. who gets guaranteed income? Pensioners
Who would prob enjoy something to do? Pensioners

Maybe pensioners would be a brilliant choice for jury service, they have years of wisdom to call upon and anyone struggling with their energy bills would save a fortune

Indeed. But the Courts want a cross section of the community sitting on juries, for obvious reasons.