jordanbc

jordanbc

Visit site
This year I took out a Flexible Membership at my Club as I was not sure whether I would be moving from the area later in the year. Flexible membership was an Initial Fee and a reduced green fee everytime I played. Approximately half way through the year it was evident that I would not be leaving the club and requested therefore to become a Full Playing Member. The club agreed, but would required me to pay the remaining amount equal to the full membership fee ,and that the green fees paid in the interim would not count . In other words I would pay a full Membership fee and the green fees I had paid would not be taken in to account.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

D

Deleted Member 1156

Check the small print, I suspect what they are doing is (unfortunately) legit.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can understand them not counting green fees paid since that was the deal you signed up for but I'd have hoped they would convert to full membership for pro rata depending on the amount of time left in the membership year rather than just taking the difference between the two fees. Would that work out cheaper?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand..."required me to pay the remaining amount equal to the full membership fee...."

If this means that they would credit the initial fee you paid for flexible membership against the full membership fee then this is how I would expect them to act in such a situation.

The green fees you paid are no different to a non member playing the year before joining, although you had them contractually discounted. Not a factor.

jordanbc

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I probably have not made myself very clear. The 'net' result of the amount required to carry on the remainder of the year in Full Membership, would be the full amount due for a Full Membership plus the amount already paid in Green Fees during the term of the Flexible Membership (some £200). I hope that is clearer?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still not that clear, say that full membership for a year is £1000 and you paid £200 for flexible membership (ignore anything you have paid in green fees) so there are 3 possibilities for what you mean.
1. They want the full £1000, r4egardless of what you have paid already.
2. They want £1000 less the £200 you already paid.
3 They want a percentage of full membership based on how far through the year you are, eg 1/2 way through the year so they want £500.

Which is it?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thank you very much for your succinct reply. The answer is your question 1.

Faced with option 1 I'd carry on as you are until the year end and then join. I've not seen many clubs these days who don't pro rata the fees just for the months left until renewal